Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better Downtown
Detroit 50 27.78%
Los Angeles 130 72.22%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 02:45 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times

Advertisements

I'm glad both are improving everyday but DTLA is a cut above. Over 10x more dt residents with thousands of more units u/c. Better public transportation options, more restaurants and shopping options and growing. I do love the Detroit waterfront.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 10:55 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,141,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggah View Post
funny, for me real cities have access to an ocean.
ah......detroit does have access to the atlantic ocean..(lake erie to lake ontario to st lawrence river to atlantic ocean) btw, international ships come to detroit

Old 07-17-2014, 12:33 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,673 times
What a joke.

Like it or not, DTLA is extremely up and coming and will only be better over the next 15-20 years.

Detroit, as someone already pointed out frozen in time and economic depression will keep the downtown area frozen in time until the trend reverses itself.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:37 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
What a joke.

Like it or not, DTLA is extremely up and coming and will only be better over the next 15-20 years.

Detroit, as someone already pointed out frozen in time and economic depression will keep the downtown area frozen in time until the trend reverses itself.
A bit insecure? I was just in LA at the end of May and its downtown still has quite a long way to go, maybe calm down a little with the complexes. Detroit is also putting quite a bit of work into its downtown despite its "frozen in time" status.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
A bit insecure? I was just in LA at the end of May and its downtown still has quite a long way to go, maybe calm down a little with the complexes. Detroit is also putting quite a bit of work into its downtown despite its "frozen in time" status.
DTLA still has it's bad parts but com'on f-ing Detroit? Get real man.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:33 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,642,248 times
LOL..this thread is a joke.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:55 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
DTLA still has it's bad parts but com'on f-ing Detroit? Get real man.
I didn't make the thread or say anything about Detroit being better, I just think that with such a pathetic downtown (exaggerated 100x considering the size of LA) that you and others should tone down your superiority complexes... and "com'on," do you actually know anything about downtown Detroit?

Old 07-17-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I didn't make the thread or say anything about Detroit being better, I just think that with such a pathetic downtown (exaggerated 100x considering the size of LA) that you and others should tone down your superiority complexes... and "com'on," do you actually know anything about downtown Detroit?
As metioned there is a lot of hatred on these boards towards Los Angeles, and a total beatoff love affair with NYC. So it goes.

And yes, I'm familiar with Downtown Detroit. It's a s**thole. Superiority complex? I think not. Does Detroit have LA Live? Major bank buildings? A thriving textile industry? Excessive loft construction? A (real) metro system running through it? I think not.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:11 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,642,248 times
Quote:
Lets take stock, shall we?

We have a historic core with one of the most intact collections of gorgeous pre-war buildings in the nation:

Source: Modern Architecture and Historic Building Gallery

Now they're mostly lofts and home to 50-60k residents, with thousands more moving in each year as additional conversions take place.

We have the first and largest historic theater district in the country, with gems like these:

Source: Hunter DTLA | Flickr

Source: Stage & Cinema

We have the LA Live/Nokia Theater/Staples Center complex, which successfully revitalized the South Park section of DTLA and hosts events from the XGames to E3, countless concerts. Its also home to the Lakers and Kings, which you may have heard of.

Under construction, we have the Wilshire Grand, built with Korean investment and soon to be tallest building west of Chicago:

Source: Wikipedia

We have Metropolis, a 4 tower project that just broke ground, made possible with a couple billion dollars of Chinese investment:

Source: Building LA

We have a Canadian developer that is finishing up one 33 story tower...

...and about to start on 4 more:

Source: Building LA

We have dozens of 5-7 story apartment buildings either under construction or in the pipeline, like this:

Source: SkyscraperPage

We have a pilot pedestrian streetscaping project widening the sidewalks of our main thoroughfare and narrowing the street:

We have a metro rail system with 12 stations downtown, that connects the neighborhood to other nodes in SoCal like Culver City, Hollywood, Pasadena, Long Beach, and next year - Santa Monica.

Source: BlogDowntown

Kelbeen | SkyscraperPage

Under construction, we have the Regional Connector, a brand new subway that will give us 3 new downtown stations and eliminate transfers that riders currently have to make:

...a streetcar project in the works:

We have some new cultural institutions under construction...

And some old cultural institutions that are still crowd pleasers:

Kelbeen | SkyscraperPage

We have low income and homeless housing projects that don't suck...

Kelbeen | SkyscraperPage

otisgsandersphoto.com

IDEASGN

...street art and street life:

DTLA FB Group

...markets:

Kelbeen | SkyscraperPage

...some brand new parks:

Source: Curbed LA

Source: The Architects Newspaper

Source: The Architects Newspaper

...and others still under construction:

Source: Hargreaves Associates

Source: Hargreaves Associates

...and last but not least, one of the most gorgeous regional rail stations in the country:

Kelbeen | SkyscraperPage

That's just scratching the surface. So no, I wouldn't call it a superiority complex. Just confidence that we have a badass little downtown.

Last edited by DistrictDirt; 07-17-2014 at 06:54 PM..

Old 07-17-2014, 10:12 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Weird choice. I've been to downtown Detroit many times and IMO it's not anywhere close to DTLA's level. It doesn't come close to winning any of the categories listed. Especially regarding pedestrian activity and things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City