Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better Downtown
Detroit 50 27.78%
Los Angeles 130 72.22%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 04:48 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Right, because Milwaukee after all is a Alpha + world class city

You need to get out of that cornfed mentality, sir.
That's quite the attitude you've got there, keep that complex going!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 05:06 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times
Quote:
Right, because Milwaukee after all is a Alpha + world class city

You need to get out of that cornfed mentality, sir.

Have you ever been to downtown Milwaukee? I'd take a condo with a boat dock on the Milwaukee River over downtown LA any day.

http://www.bestplacemilwaukee.com/im...alk%204807.jpg

Old 07-23-2014, 07:58 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Have you ever been to downtown Milwaukee? I'd take a condo with a boat dock on the Milwaukee River over downtown LA any day.

http://www.bestplacemilwaukee.com/im...alk%204807.jpg
Agree, I find it a bit humorous that someone from LA puts down Milwaukee, esp., when they have likely never been there. Is Milwaukee's downtown as big as LA's? Well, no. Is it as appealling/interesting? Arguably.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:34 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Agree, I find it a bit humorous that someone from LA puts down Milwaukee, esp., when they have likely never been there. Is Milwaukee's downtown as big as LA's? Well, no. Is it as appealling/interesting? Arguably.
Milwaukee doesn't have much of a skyline, but the downtown area is actually more walkable, dense and vibrant than its population would indicate. LA is the opposite - a giant US city that has an unimpressive downtown. Does that make LA any less of a great world city? Maybe a tiny bit, but LA scores big in so many other areas that it doesn't really matter. The fact remains that DTLA doesn't match its population or place on the world's stage - yet.

I've spent several months of my life in SoCal, and while the weather is perfect and much of the scenery beautiful, you find attitudes like the person above (who I 100% guarantee has never been to Milwaukee, which I never brought into the conversation in the first place) are widespread. This is the main reason why I turned down a multitude of great CA job offers over the years to remain in Wisconsin, where people aren't constantly trying to justify their own existence by cutting on people who choose to live in another zip or time zone.

I have a lot of friends in the LA area, and they're good folks; almost all of them are natives embarassed by the last generation of newcomers like Freshflakes757.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:57 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Milwaukee doesn't have much of a skyline, but the downtown area is actually more walkable, dense and vibrant than its population would indicate. LA is the opposite - a giant US city that has an unimpressive downtown. Does that make LA any less of a great world city? Maybe a tiny bit, but LA scores big in so many other areas that it doesn't really matter. The fact remains that DTLA doesn't match its population or place on the world's stage - yet.

I've spent several months of my life in SoCal, and while the weather is perfect and much of the scenery beautiful, you find attitudes like the person above (who I 100% guarantee has never been to Milwaukee, which I never brought into the conversation in the first place) are widespread. This is the main reason why I turned down a multitude of great CA job offers over the years to remain in Wisconsin, where people aren't constantly trying to justify their own existence by cutting on people who choose to live in another zip or time zone.

I have a lot of friends in the LA area, and they're good folks; almost all of them are natives embarassed by the last generation of newcomers like Freshflakes757.
Yeah it seems like Milwaukee has a downtown that punches above its weight. That is a nice picture of the waterfront, looks almost European.

I actually think that DTLA is as "walkable, dense and vibrant" as the city's population represents (or slightly below its weight) but for decades, the type of walkability and vibrancy that DTLA offered is not the kind that is well-received here on C-D. In fact I have heard from some long-time DTLA residents that the core was actually more bustling during its "nadir".

Old 07-23-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Yeah it seems like Milwaukee has a downtown that punches above its weight. That is a nice picture of the waterfront, looks almost European.

I actually think that DTLA is as "walkable, dense and vibrant" as the city's population represents (or slightly below its weight) but for decades, the type of walkability and vibrancy that DTLA offered is not the kind that is well-received here on C-D. In fact I have heard from some long-time DTLA residents that the core was actually more bustling during its "nadir".
It has some of the most "walkable weather" year-round, I don't think anyone could argue that.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:21 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
It has some of the most "walkable weather" year-round, I don't think anyone could argue that.
It's also walkable in the typical sense too. Unless you are talking about the redevelopment area of Bunker Hill (from about Fig to Hope), which is fairly auto-centric and while not unwalkable, is not pedestrian friendly. But this is about 1/8 of downtown. For some reason it seems this area comes to represent DTLA the most, even though there are areas like the Historic Core, Fashion District, Financial District and South Park which are highly walkable in every sense of the word.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:30 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

When people say Milwaukee is like a mini version of Chicago's downtown, there is truth in it. (Milwaukee River running through it, Lake Michigan on the eastern border, walkable, lots to do, etc.).

Last edited by BigLake; 07-23-2014 at 12:11 PM..

Old 07-23-2014, 02:58 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,673 times
Quote:

I've been living in LA on and off for the last 9 years or so. I'm not a newcomer.

Apologies if I was a bit harsh on that one, but it's a pet peave of mine when people criticize DTLA. Especially New Yorkers.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I've been living in LA on and off for the last 9 years or so. I'm not a newcomer.

Apologies if I was a bit harsh on that one, but it's a pet peave of mine when people criticize DTLA. Especially New Yorkers.
Well, you're definitely a newcomer, but apology accepted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City