Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Major City in the Northeast has the most culture?
DC 4 7.55%
New York City 28 52.83%
Boston 11 20.75%
Philadelphia 6 11.32%
Baltimore 1 1.89%
Pittsburgh 3 5.66%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 11:51 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,852,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
How can a city have "more culture" than another?

To me, that just doesn't make sense..
A city can easily have more culture than another one. Take Paris for example (as it's my favorite city). Surely it has more culture than Houston (using that as an example because I live here). Paris dates back to nearly 300 AD and has a population exceeding 12 million. Houston dates back to the 1830s and has a population exceeding 6 million. Of course Paris would have more culture and no one could deny that. Some might prefer Houston culture over Paris culture but Paris would still have more culture to offer.

So this thread is about which city has the most culture. Not which city has the best culture. With that said I would say NYC clearly has the most culture out of the choices provided. But doesn't even come close to the culture in other parts of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 10:44 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
1. NYC
2. Philly
3. Boston
4. Baltimore
5. Pittsburgh
6. D.C.

D.C. has the least culture out of the Northeast IMO but still has the most out of any city South of it.

D.C. doesn't have more culture than NOLA and maybe even Savannah/Charleston...

Old 05-26-2014, 10:52 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Now I'd put it above Savannah and Charleston, but mainly Miami and secondly NOLA were the two that came to mind for me, since the OP's definition of culture for the purposes of this thread is ethnic neighborhoods, history, diversity, food options, etc.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:20 AM

233 posts, read 368,654 times
nyc
boston
dc
philly
balt

Old 05-26-2014, 12:35 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,916,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHaze1100 View Post
Which major city in the northeast region has the most culture. This includes history, diversity, food options, different ethnic neighborhoods etc.

The top 5 on the top of my head at the moment are:

New York

Philly

Boston

Pittsburgh

DC
New York
Boston
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
DC
Baltimore

I can't understand why anyone would vote anything but NYC. You should take NYC out of this poll and redo it.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:49 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
DC is a very "cultured" place, especially when you talk the whole metro. You all will learn to respect it one day. And NY doesn't even belong on this list it's so far ahead of everywhere else.

The Black culture in DC is extremely distinct BTW it's not just like anywhere else.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Lol you sound silly. What those places have is a strong identifiable level of Southern culture in their respective cities that is exclusive to those towns. In that regard they all do have good culture. I actually love the Southern culture in NO and that whole Bayou area to be honest.

But as a whole those places combined will never have more culture than a place like DC where you can literally find a person from almost every corner of the world in a 25-30 mile radius. Cuisines from all over the globe (although maybe not on a NY level), Combined with its own mid-Atlantic regional seafood culture. As well as food culture from many of the AA folks with southern bloodlines. Cultural events on a far greater level than those places which reflect the diversity of the country and the world take place in Washington DC on a regular basis. So no I wouldn't say your accurate.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:16 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
NOLA has a pretty unique culture that isn't replicated anywhere else in the states....

Old 05-26-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
NOLA has a pretty unique culture that isn't replicated anywhere else in the states....
I firmly agree. I guess I'm just going off the criteria of what the OP asked and across the board how larger city/metropolises will offer a larger scale of diversity in terms of culture. Hence why he picked the NE cooridor cities. I'd stay on topic here. Although starting another thread with some of those East Coast cities and then comparing to places like NO would make for and interesting one.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:29 PM

In fact I think NOLA has the most distinctive culture out of any city in the South hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City