Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Italian enclave is the most authentic?
Little Italy, Manhattan 39 76.47%
North Beach, San Francisco 12 23.53%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 07:32 AM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times

Advertisements

^I don't disagree with your post, but I didn't say North Beach was Chinese anywhere in mine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 07:37 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
I can think of about a dozen or more cities that would be well suited to be put up against NYC in a battle of Italian-American culture. San Francisco is not one of them.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:40 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,929,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I can think of about a dozen or more cities that would be well suited to be put up against NYC in a battle of Italian-American culture. San Francisco is not one of them.
Agreed.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:53 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
I felt Little Italy was more intimate and quaint overall and a little more interesting to walk around. Feels slightly more Italian I suppose than North Beach, which isn't saying much.

North Beach is a decent neighborhood but it kinds of a magnet for white, fratty, douchebags in SF kind of like the Marina neighborhood is. North Beach Fest feels like one giant, frat bar crawl.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:37 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
This is fairly accurate. I still maintain that the most authentic Italian enclave I've been to recently in the U.S. is Federal Hill in Providence and even that has seen a good chunk of its Italian heritage move out to the 'burbs.

North Beach in San Francisco is a great neighborhood. However, I don't think it compares to the Italian enclaves in cities like Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, Boston or even Providence as far as the lasting Italian influence goes. It's definitely an enclave, but I don't consider it to have nearly the concentration of Italian people, stores, restaurants, activities and events that the other cities I mentioned do.
Where are the Italian enclaves in Chicago? I lived there, didn't see any; for that matter, didn't meet too many Italians at all, at least compared to the east coast cities and Cleveland.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:43 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,109,523 times
Quote:
Cool story, not really what the thread is about though. See: OP's questions.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:00 PM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Where are the Italian enclaves in Chicago? I lived there, didn't see any; for that matter, didn't meet too many Italians at all, at least compared to the east coast cities and Cleveland.
Taylor Street on the Near West Side bears a resemblance to many of the streets in "Little Italy" neighborhoods on the East Coast, but there's a lot of Italian American history all throughout Chicago and I think it's more apparent to even a casual observer than in San San Francisco. Granted, like Little Italy in New York or Boston's North End, gentrification and new waves of immigrants from elsewhere have penetrated the historic urban Italian enclaves and generations of Italian Americans have assimilated and spread out all over the city and into the 'burbs. Still, it's hard to deny that Italian immigrants have significant roots in Chicago.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:04 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Cool story, not really what the thread is about though. See: OP's questions.
I did and it doesn't change a single thing about what I wrote. While there are parallels between both neighborhoods (you can find parallels between anything really) in that they once were the epicenter of Italian-American culture in their cities and have since transitioned in to something else, that's about it.

Even if Little Italy is no longer strickly mostly Italian, it is the cultural birth place of Italian-American culture in New York City and Italian-American culture is one of the major cornerstones of the larger New York culture to the point that NYC would not be NYC without it. The same cannot be said for San Francisco, but it is true of dozens of other cities not named San Francisco, bro.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:30 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Taylor Street on the Near West Side bears a resemblance to many of the streets in "Little Italy" neighborhoods on the East Coast, but there's a lot of Italian American history all throughout Chicago and I think it's more apparent to even a casual observer than in San San Francisco. Granted, like Little Italy in New York or Boston's North End, gentrification and new waves of immigrants from elsewhere have penetrated the historic urban Italian enclaves and generations of Italian Americans have assimilated and spread out all over the city and into the 'burbs. Still, it's hard to deny that Italian immigrants have significant roots in Chicago.
Sure, Italians all over the east and great lakes region and San Francisco. Best Little Italy in the midwest: Cleveland. Italian roots in Chicago not as deep as east coast, of course. and of course, San Francisco

Old 05-27-2014, 03:55 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,109,523 times
Quote:
I did and it doesn't change a single thing about what I wrote. While there are parallels between both neighborhoods (you can find parallels between anything really) in that they once were the epicenter of Italian-American culture in their cities and have since transitioned in to something else, that's about it.

Even if Little Italy is no longer strickly mostly Italian, it is the cultural birth place of Italian-American culture in New York City and Italian-American culture is one of the major cornerstones of the larger New York culture to the point that NYC would not be NYC without it. The same cannot be said for San Francisco, but it is true of dozens of other cities not named San Francisco, bro.
So your answer to the OP's questions regarding the two neighborhoods in these two cities is that there are dozens of others neighborhoods in dozens of other cities that are more suited for a thread about North Beach & Little Italy? Interesting, perhaps instead you should post in those other existing thread comparisons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City