Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Italian enclave is the most authentic?
Little Italy, Manhattan 39 76.47%
North Beach, San Francisco 12 23.53%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 11:54 AM

2,253 posts, read 3,720,080 times

Advertisements

Why are you so defensive? My initial post argued that Italian American culture was very strong in NYC and was pretty much nonexistent in San Francisco, but suggested it was possible that North Beach "may" be more Italian than Manhattan's Little Italy - but maybe it isn't.

Yet I'm "changing the goalposts" or defending North Beach or whatever. OK then...

As for the census "doing no such thing" - please take it up with the New York Times which reported that the census bureau found only 5% were of Italian ancestry and nobody born in Italy.

Again, North Beach may be the same.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/22/ny...anted=all&_r=0

The New York area has many actual Italian ethnic enclaves - but Little Italy has long ceased to be one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 12:13 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,720,080 times
Here's census data for the North Beach ZIP code. It is only 4% Italian ancestry - so not very. So perhaps Manhattan's Little Italy "wins."

94133 Zip Code Population and Races

Old 06-08-2014, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantronix4204 View Post
Unfortunately, IMO, North Beach, like so many other places in SF, looks sanitized, lacking individual character that says you've entered a distinct neighborhood.
Wow, it's hard to imagine a more incorrect statement about SF. And I'm no SF homer - I lived there for 2 years and was ready to leave for a number of reasons. But one thing that can't be denied about SF is that it is overflowing with character and has very distinct, unique neighborhoods. There are also many parts of the City that are not sanitized and actually quite gritty.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
It isn't even an obvious Italian neighborhood anymore. If you walked through tonight, you would have no idea it used to be a Little Italy.
This is also absurdly false. You'd have to blind to walk down Columbus or one of its side streets and not know it's an Italian neighborhood. There are tons of Italian restaurants, bakeries, cafes, delis, etc. with Italian-sounding names and you hear a lot native Italian being spoken.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:03 PM

206 posts, read 259,820 times
This thread is funny! I thought it was a joke at first. SF posters clearly want to look at thier city as equal to NYC, and that is honestly laughable. Come on now, stop bothering your big brother and make your own friends. You are significantly younger and I would not want you to get hurt playing with the bigger boys.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:07 PM

474 posts, read 530,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnyard Bletch View Post
This thread is funny! I thought it was a joke at first. SF posters clearly want to look at thier city as equal to NYC, and that is honestly laughable. Come on now, stop bothering your big brother and make your own friends. You are significantly younger and I would not want you to get hurt playing with the bigger boys.
And now it is blatantly clear that you are trying to instigate hate for a city by making it appear inferior. This is a completely fair comparison between two enclaves in their respective coastal cities. What, do you think the entire premise of this thread is to arbitrarily compare the urbanity of the two locations ? Some of the posts on this forum are seriously so delusional about places not named New York that I wonder if half of the people here have been to any major city outside of America.
Does Portland, by the way, have anything to contribute to this thread? If so, please do. This is meant to be a civil discussion concerning the authenticity, size, pleasurability, and charm of North Beach and Little Italy. If you'd bothered to read anything past the title, you would acknowledge that we are comparing neighborhoods, not entire cities. Please take your aimlessly attempted remarks of ignorance elsewhere.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:00 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,113,729 times
This thread has lost control. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one Standard111 has claimed is moving goal posts since a non-biased Toronto forumer came on and said "either one, but who knows" and that was taken as saying North Beach and moving goals posts. LoL.

One thing interesting about NYC's, though, is this PH condo at the old NYPD HQ at 240 Centre St:

240 Centre St. #5H - Condop Apartment Sale at The Police Building in Little Italy, Manhattan - StreetEasy

Listed for only $31,495,000! It looks amazing, though. It would probably be 1/3 the cost here in SF; what a deal that would be!

If the OP were actually read by posters, this would be an entirely different thread. It's hard to even claim is one is more authentic than the other at this point, and it has since been proven that each has a similar number of Italian businesses and Italian people remaining. The other OP points were pleasurability, center of Italian life (SF has that on lock ONLY because it is one of the only Italian hoods in the metro whereas NYC is actually a very Italian metro with lots of hoods that are larger/authentic), etc etc.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:52 PM

206 posts, read 259,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
And now it is blatantly clear that you are trying to instigate hate for a city by making it appear inferior. This is a completely fair comparison between two enclaves in their respective coastal cities. What, do you think the entire premise of this thread is to arbitrarily compare the urbanity of the two locations ? Some of the posts on this forum are seriously so delusional about places not named New York that I wonder if half of the people here have been to any major city outside of America.
Does Portland, by the way, have anything to contribute to this thread? If so, please do. This is meant to be a civil discussion concerning the authenticity, size, pleasurability, and charm of North Beach and Little Italy. If you'd bothered to read anything past the title, you would acknowledge that we are comparing neighborhoods, not entire cities. Please take your aimlessly attempted remarks of ignorance elsewhere.
Haha. You should do stand up comedy. Cause you givin me a laugh boner.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:07 PM

474 posts, read 530,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnyard Bletch View Post
Haha. You should do stand up comedy. Cause you givin me a laugh boner.
I love laughing at things that make me intellecually and logically inferior, too.
Again, do you have anything to contribute to this thread?
If not, I advise you leave.
After all, there are only so many people to broadcast your narrowmindedness to.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:06 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,401 times
Historically, Little Italy is the easy choice. Today, North Beach retains more Italian heritage than Little Italy in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City