Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2014, 09:40 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Mpls needs to get off its "homer" stuff to be a "hot" city. We just got back from a week there. "Minnesota Nice" is a bunch of BS and I got tired of hearing about their world-famous this and that; their "best in the nation" K-12educational system, public university system and private colleges; and their one in the world facilities which really aren't.
It sounds like you went there with an angry attitude in the first place from your comments. About 50% of our vacation experiences are about the attitude we bring to the table. Most Minnesotans are nice IMO and I visited in 2005.

They do take pride in their K-12 educational achievements and ratings. Maybe you prefer places that don't care about that. To each their own. I hope your next vacation experience is better and that you don't get upset when citizens in an area are proud of something in their community. That sort of thing does not upset me. (Now if they were going out of their way to diss your city, then you would be more justified. I know they typically don't do that though). With their very chilly winters, it won't hurt for visitors to cut them some slack when they are proud of something and justifiably so. Just my two cents.

BTW, I enjoyed Denver on my trip there in 2011 if that helps. Visited a friend that moved there and went to Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park, Red Rocks Ampitheater (not for a concert, but enjoyed walking around and the restaurant at top), Coors Brewery tour, Coors Field for a baseball game and 16th Street mall.

Last edited by chessgeek; 07-09-2014 at 10:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 10:35 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Why do all these "hot, up and coming" cities ALWAYS have to involve an influx of hipsters and creative types? I mean what the heck? In 40 years from now, is every U.S. city going to be all hipsters???

Old 07-09-2014, 10:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Not sure who would just offer advice or info to you like that without being provoked or inquisited, but that's not a normal conversation in my experience (again, unless you were dogging the area or touting how great Denver is, which you guys aren't exactly immune to either).
"Minnesota Nice" is a well-known construct that just isn't true. People are no nicer there than anywhere else. My daughter and her boyfriend have been been the victims of hit and run accidents since they moved there a few months ago; my daughter had her cell phone stolen; driving is a nightmare, the drivers are fast and aggressive. Something is always the best or only in the whole world; it's ridiculous. For example, my daughter was volunteering at a wildlife rehab place which was supposedly the only such facility in the US. A few days later, there was an article in the local Boulder paper about such a facility here. Go to the ed forum and read about how great their schools are, including colleges.
Minnesota nice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Urban Dictionary: minnesota nice
Minnesota Nice, explained. | The Cities | Minnesota Public Radio News
The Outsiders: Is Minnesota Nice to Newcomers? | Minnesota Public Radio News

Old 07-09-2014, 11:44 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
I think Denver fits the bill for a city that's up and coming.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:09 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I think Denver fits the bill for a city that's up and coming.
Denver is a dump: the westernmost city on the great plains, flat as a pancake, the Platte might very well be the most polluted river in the country, terrible smog due to temperature inversion, ugly, ugly, ugly: Indianapolis with a lobotomy, with proximity to great skiing. Kansas City and Omaha have much better architecture, cultural amenities, and food than Denver to the east. Albuquerque, to the west has much better scenery. Denver, along, with Charlotte and Phoenix can compete for the title of the most boring large MSA in the US: the worst major airport in the US, and a downtown that is basically a shopping mall, halfway redeemed by civilized pot laws, and a reasonable Liebeskind art museum with nothing in it, and a few micro breweries - nothing to do, nothing to see, proud that it gave the world Chipotle, Aurora, Columbine - by far my least favorite city to visit in the U.S. Boulder, Aspen, Fort Collins can be fun, but you have to fly through the truly awful Denver. If Denver is the next up and coming city, the U.S is in serious trouble.

Last edited by homeinatx; 07-10-2014 at 12:23 AM..

Old 07-10-2014, 12:29 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,167,649 times
Denver not that bad, as well as Charlotte and Phoenix. All 3 have something to be desired for.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:39 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,704,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Denver is a dump: the westernmost city on the great plains, flat as a pancake, the Platte might very well be the most polluted river in the country, terrible smog due to temperature inversion, ugly, ugly, ugly: Indianapolis with a lobotomy, with proximity to great skiing. Kansas City and Omaha have much better architecture, cultural amenities, and food than Denver to the east. Albuquerque, to the west has much better scenery. Denver, along, with Charlotte and Phoenix can compete for the title of the most boring large MSA in the US: the worst major airport in the US, and a downtown that is basically a shopping mall, halfway redeemed by civilized pot laws, and a reasonable Liebeskind art museum with nothing in it, and a few micro breweries - nothing to do, nothing to see, proud that it gave the world Chipotle, Aurora, Columbine - by far my least favorite city to visit in the U.S. Boulder, Aspen, Fort Collins can be fun, but you have to fly through the truly awful Denver. If Denver is the next up and coming city, the U.S is in serious trouble.
Okay, you can hate all you want. Most of what you said is not true. All cities have their flaws. Do I need to get started on Austin? I'd like to hear some real reasons for why Denver isn't up and coming rather than a baseless bias rant.

A few things. Smog isn't a huge problem in Denver, and it doesn't stick around for long. Most of Denver is flat. There are many areas that aren't...your point? Denver's architecture, food, and cultural amenities are perfectly fine. I can give you examples if you'd like. The scenery is beautiful and most would agree. Downtown is making great strides and is very active (more than just a shopping mall). DIA is often ranked as one of the top airports in the US. We're proud about "Chipotle, Aurora, and Columbine"? Great job making things up. Nothing to do and boring? There's a lot to do here, and most people who visit seem to agree. If you think Boulder, Aspen, and Fort Collins are less boring, I seriously doubt you even know what you're talking about or have been here at all. You're just a flat out hater as far as I can tell. Please list why your city is any better. Denver is an up and coming city, whether you like it or not.

Last edited by Mezter; 07-10-2014 at 01:17 AM..

Old 07-10-2014, 01:43 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,377,650 times
I'll go with Des Moines. Up and coming to me means about to be recognized as a major city. Des Moines is at that stage of growth that it will soon be seen as a city big enough to attract talent and investment from outside the region. The downtown is fantastic, the economy is firing on all cylinders and it really seems to be in a sustained rapid growth mode. I visited it first in the 80's and was slightly impressed even then. Visited again a few years ago and hardly recognized the place.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:24 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
^I agree, and I'm excited to see what the future has in store for Des Moines!

Old 07-10-2014, 08:58 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
I'll go with Des Moines. Up and coming to me means about to be recognized as a major city. Des Moines is at that stage of growth that it will soon be seen as a city big enough to attract talent and investment from outside the region. The downtown is fantastic, the economy is firing on all cylinders and it really seems to be in a sustained rapid growth mode. I visited it first in the 80's and was slightly impressed even then. Visited again a few years ago and hardly recognized the place.
Well said! Iowa as a whole seems like a cool state that flies under the radar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City