Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 04:53 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,166,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
So you bet that just because Washington passed Indiana's population, somehow it's going to become more populous that Ohio? How is that?
Yeah, Washington is a one-metro state. Ohio is a 3-metro state (4 if you're counting Toledo). Unless Seattle becomes the next NYC, Ohio will always be bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 09:35 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen View Post
Pretty sure it's been confirmed that Denver is the next hot city. No matter if it is or isn't it's easy to see growth will be out west.
I'm really surprised the thread didn't abruptly end when you stated that fact and laid all arguments to rest like that!

Old 07-15-2014, 11:33 AM

869 posts, read 1,278,118 times
Cleveland is the new Black

Cleveland has been on the rebound even before LeBron James news - LA Times

Old 07-15-2014, 12:27 PM

86 posts, read 129,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I bet 20 to 30 years time washington will be bigger than ohio. Its already passed indiana.
Washington state is going to double its population and be bigger than Ohio in 20-30 years? I don't think that's something you want to bet on.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:54 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I'd love to say Jacksonville, Florida but I think no one would believe me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
I certainly don't believe you, but I have an open mind. Convince us-why Jacksonville?
I submitted for Jacksonville, with plenty of detail, earlier in the thread. It's got an outside shot at both becoming a desirable city and creating a "hip" reputation. Give us another ten years or so...

Old 07-15-2014, 10:33 PM

206 posts, read 259,916 times
Pittsburgh
St. Petersburg/Tampa
New Orleans
Savannah
Cincinnati
Chicago
Detroit
All of these cities will be hot in the next 25 years, due to low col and unique characters.
I think.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:09 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnyard Bletch View Post
Pittsburgh
St. Petersburg/Tampa
New Orleans
Savannah
Cincinnati
Chicago
Detroit
All of these cities will be hot in the next 25 years, due to low col and unique characters.
I think.
Im not trying to single you out but i'm using this post as an example.

Peoples understanding of cities and their statuses always intrigues me. So much of it is experience and not fact based. However to see Chicago on a list of "next hot up & coming cities" baffles me.

But then the way people try and spin Chicago on here I shouldn't be suprised. Chicago is considered an "Alpha " world city by the Globalization and World Cities research network (GaWC). The GaWC is a think tank out of the UK. I do not think they have any special interest in elevating or promoting anything. Chicago being an Alpha+ world city puts it in an elite class with about ten other cities globally. This is a site for city enthusiasts I feel like we should all educate ourselves on the true size and impact the cities we talk about have. Even Detroit is considered a Beta world city meaning it has a significant impact economically both nationally, and to some extent globally.

Chicago is not an up and coming city, Chicago arrived decades ago, if not a century ago. Even Detroit which is a favorite punching bag holds clout given the nature of it's region.

List of GaWC cities and their classifications- GAWC World Cities - The World's Most Important Cities

Old 07-16-2014, 01:04 PM

869 posts, read 1,278,118 times
^ Agreed. Chicago can't be called "Up and Coming".

Old 07-16-2014, 03:31 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I'm talking about places that will become the cool, hip places for young people to move like Austin, Portland, Seattle. I do not see that ever happening for KC. I'm doubtful of Columbus, there has not yet ever been a Midwest city anything remotely like Austin, Seattle or Portland. A city needs a mystique, a coolness, a indie music scene, start-ups, a art scene, beautiful nature close...a place like KC has none of this going for it and never will. I do not see it happening. Nashville has already been discovered as has Raleigh.
For some that would say that Raleigh has already been discovered in context of what is highlighted above, I'd like to add a perspective. As many know, the Triangle area has experienced explosive growth over the last 4 decades and went from being a very small disconnected collection of loosely adjacent cities and towns to a dynamic interconnected multi-core metropolitan region. However, this growth followed the preferred model of the last half of the 20th century: suburban. While this growth has been astounding and has seen Raleigh's county (Wake) explode from just over 300,000 to about a million today since 1980, it had done so primarily on the periphery of what was Raleigh at that time. Of course Raleigh grew as well as it got into the development game and extended its limits to absorb a fair share of that new growth. However........... At the very core of Raleigh, much remained the same and growth there was timid at best and even saw departures of its department store & movie theater for example. The state government presence essentially kept the city on idle while all the new area growth was destined to Research Triangle Park and the suburbs. In effect, the center of the city was still behaving like a small southern state capital of 120,000 people.

Along came the early 90s and few towers went up for banks but that was about it. Some developers dabbled in small infill and reuse housing projects in the city center but their impact was nominal. Things continued to go gangbusters in RTP through the 90s and small incremental changes started happening DT; yet they were still just a blip on the radar. When the 2000s arrived, a renewed interest arrived in the city's core with visionaries who started painting a picture of what DT could become with effort at the local and state level through public and private investment. The state upped the ante on its museums of history and science while local entities grew the performing arts and children's museum and iMax theater. The city underwent an agressive "5 in 5" plan to transform some of the basic infrastructure of the city including restoring its "Main Street" (Fayetteville St.) and developing a new Convention Center. Some rather grand and transformative projects were on the docket. Then the financial collapse hit..... Just as the city was hitting a stride, the wind was taken completed out of the sails. Fast forward 5 years and some of those projects are coming to fruition in different and less showy ways while others still await their destiny.

On the back side of this past recession lies a huge pent up demand for the transformation of Raleigh's core. Thousands of highrise and midrise housing units have been delivered in the last few years or are in construction now within a mile or so of the very center of the city. RedHat moved its corporate HQ to a tower DT and Citrix is opening up a site for 800+ employees in a renovated warehouse district building. No longer are large scale tech operations presumed to always reside in RTP. Craft beer pubs, restaurants, shops and services are popping up all over the place and the millenials are out in force. On the drawing boards are more housing to break ground in the next year and the city continues its preparation for high speed rail and future light rail with a new Union Station under construction just 2 blocks from the Citrix site. The city has released its report for implementing bike share. Visioning sessions are taking place to develop the immediate north and south of the city core. Rapidly, Raleigh is transforming its "city" into a millenial playground, not one with shiny high rise corporate towers but one with live music venues, independent stores and galleries, tech start ups and almost weekly events. It's not fully there yet (hence my rebuttal that Raleigh has already "up and come") but will be making a big splash over the next ten years.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:03 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I bet 20 to 30 years time washington will be bigger than ohio. Its already passed indiana.
Washington has TWICE as much land as does Indiana.

Washington:

Area Ranked 18th - Total 71,362 sq mi

Indiana:

Area Ranked 38th - Total 36,418 sq mi
Indiana is sitting at 6.5 million compared with Washington at 6.9 million. Over HALF of Washington's population lives in the Seattle metro area, 3.6 million. Indianapolis, conversely, makes up roughly 1/3 of Indiana's population, coming in at 2 million in the metro. It's really just a Seattle buzz, outside of Seattle metro Washington isn't growing all that quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City