Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Richmond VA 152 54.29%
Raleigh NC 128 45.71%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 07:10 PM

797 posts, read 1,429,611 times

Advertisements

Besides Monument ave and a couple of sites what else reeks the confederacy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 07:07 PM

129 posts, read 186,404 times
I'm biased but:
-Vibe/Energy - Richmond, just barely (and Downtown Raleigh will overtake it soon at this pace.)
-Retail Mix/Amenities - tie (Raleigh will probably outrun Richmond pretty soon.)
-Nightlife/Entertainment - Richmond (but DTR is catching up, and fast.)
-Education - Raleigh. (needs no explanation)
-Economic Outlook - Raleigh, just check any list anywhere.
-Cultural Attractions - Probably Richmond (due to it being an larger older city) - but I think they're pretty comparable, possibly a tie.
-QOL Preference - Raleigh (less crime, better bus system, better education, better economy, and catching up to RVA in everything else)

Old 08-28-2014, 09:17 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,776,031 times
RIchmond, I was surprised by how sleepy and uninteresting Raleigh was when I spent a recent weekend down there. Fried who was living down there for a year couldn't wait to get back to Richmond, and a lot of the younger people I spoke to would regularly go to Richmond for fun weekends, they said.

The Triangle is probably nicer if you are looking for suburbia, but just felt surprisingly dead to me. Actually liked Durham the best. I do understand why people like the triangle, but I was disappointed by it - thought I would find it more interesting than I did.

If you don't like cities/urban stuff, this probably reverses.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:48 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
RIchmond, I was surprised by how sleepy and uninteresting Raleigh was when I spent a recent weekend down there. Fried who was living down there for a year couldn't wait to get back to Richmond, and a lot of the younger people I spoke to would regularly go to Richmond for fun weekends, they said.

The Triangle is probably nicer if you are looking for suburbia, but just felt surprisingly dead to me. Actually liked Durham the best. I do understand why people like the triangle, but I was disappointed by it - thought I would find it more interesting than I did.

I agree, my sister has lived in Cary (Raleigh suburb) for 10 years so I've visited a number of times. There really just isn't much of anything to do there as a visitor, especially if returning for multiple visits, but for families there is a very palpable quality of life in the suburban areas (ranks high for employment/healthcare/education/nice housing). In other words the triangle is a really nice place to live but a very dull place to visit. It doesn't even have to be an exciting city to be an interesting place to visit, but the area doesn't really have any interesting topography nearby either, just trees and small hills.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:11 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,132 times
Wouldn't live in Richmond for free.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:34 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,394 times
Quote:

I have had pretty much the exact opposite experience. Richmond felt like a city in decline when I visited. Although its downtown was larger there was little there actually being used. Huge, huge dead zones. Conversely, every month when I check up on friends in Raleigh, we always find a new place to hang out--usually it's just opened. I prefer Raleigh's downtown to Asheville's at this point, in terms of nightlife options, though admittedly this is a recent development... if you'd asked me five years ago... yeah there wasn't much.

Richmond has a treasure trove of historic structures. If they can re-purpose more of those they'd have a very beautiful city.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:17 PM

89 posts, read 120,488 times
Both are very nice state capitals. I prefer Richmond because it offers a great mix of North and south. The inner cityof Richmond is very urban and the history of the city makes it more interesting. Raleigh lacks that true urban feel even in downtown but give it a few more years.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:27 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,090,990 times
I generally prefer Richmond over Raliegh but if you combine Raliegh with Durham and Chapel Hill then it's a closer call. Chapel Hill is a nice college town with UNC and Durham has Duke and has at least a bit of a music and bar scene downtown. I remember playing gigs years ago in a bar in Durham called Under the Street. Nice little joint. Wonder if it's still there.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:43 AM

605 posts, read 804,400 times
They both have fantastic art museums - in my opinion, they are both MUCH better than the High in Atlanta. What's more, they both offer free admission!

I like both cities, but I've spent more time in Raleigh - it's one of my favorite cities. I just feel so comfortable there.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:09 PM

354 posts, read 627,203 times
Quote:

I mean I understand how you felt about Raleigh, But what was it about Raleigh that you did't like that was so boring. Did you & your friends even look around for stuff to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City