Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Richmond VA 152 54.29%
Raleigh NC 128 45.71%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 08:24 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,715 times

Advertisements

The NC state government is among the most backward and regressive state governments in modern times. We sent our governor to prison. You reelected yours. The environmental policy, the voting restrictions (disallowing a child credit deduction if your collage age student registers to vote !!), restrictions to legal abortions are deplorable. Every statewide office in Virginia is held by a Democrat. Our attorney general is among the most liberal in the country. Our metros have historically been more progressive (diverse, interracial couples, equal representation) and are more progressive than their NC counterparts today. Health outcomes are better in VA and there is less economic disparity...pretty progressive compared to NC.

Last edited by spencer114; 01-24-2015 at 08:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 08:48 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,490,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
The NC state government is among the most backward and regressive state governments in modern times. We sent our governor to prison. You reelected yours. The environmental policy, the voting restrictions (disallowing a child credit deduction if your collage age student registers to vote !!), restrictions to legal abortions are deplorable. Every statewide office in Virginia is held by a Democrat. Our attorney general is among the most liberal in the country. Our metros have historically been more progressive (diverse, interracial couples, equal representation) and are more progressive than their NC counterparts today. Health outcomes are better in VA and there is less economic disparity...pretty progressive compared to NC.
If you live outside Northern Virginia, which really isn't that different from Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte these days, you shouldn't look down on North Carolina. Our history isn't perfect, but it's not like Virginia is vastly superior. In fact, I've read that what is now RTP could have been placed in Virginia while they were scouting around during the late 1950's. However, with the Governor of Virginia (Lindsay Almond, Jr.) closing schools around the state rather than integrating, it hurt the image of Virginia to the point of them looking more into North Carolina instead. North Carolina was a bit more progressive at the time, although sneakily managing to get around integration through the Pearsall Plan. Point is, can you imagine a city like Richmond today if RTP was placed up there? You keep on banging on that we're so "less progressive" but we're obviously doing something right if people keep moving here. North Carolina is now 9th in total state population, we climbed ahead of Michigan. Virginia is still 12th. Just look how dead the Virginia CD page is compared to North Carolina. If there is a rivalry between NC and VA, it has to be along the lines of, "We're the most progressive state in the South." Our history isn't perfect in NC, and I have nothing against VA, but it really isn't fair to look down on us.

We should probably get back to Raleigh vs Richmond, anyway. Post another thread if you want to discuss which overall state is "more progressive."

Old 01-24-2015, 10:01 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
The NC state government is among the most backward and regressive state governments in modern times. We sent our governor to prison. You reelected yours.
Wrong. 'You' didn't do anything, the Feds indicted him and sentenced him. And he was a Republican that was barely out of office, don't pretend that VA doesn't vote for them like you are somehow connected to the Northeast. The NC State Government has taken a turn to the right very recently, but the Moral Monday pushback in Raleigh proves the population isn't having it. And I don't live there, but I do love the State.

Quote:
The environmental policy, the voting restrictions (disallowing a child credit deduction if your collage age student registers to vote !!), restrictions to legal abortions are deplorable.
This is happening all over the country now due to the Tea Party, and mainstream voters not going to the polls. The Feds are watching, will not tolerate a lot of this behavior and have shut some of it down already. NC doesn't own this, but Virginia would be the same way if not for NoVa.

Quote:
Every statewide office in Virginia is held by a Democrat. Our attorney general is among the most liberal in the country.
Good for you. Don't expect it to be the permanent norm, though. Witness November, when Maryland **gasp** voted for a Republican Governor.

Quote:
Our metros have historically been more progressive (diverse, interracial couples, equal representation) and are more progressive than their NC counterparts today.
No, they aren't. Again, with the exception of NoVa Virginia is an urban underperformer. Richmond & Hampton Roads simply do not compare to Charlotte & the Triangle, and are totally missing from the national radar.

Quote:
Health outcomes are better in VA and there is less economic disparity...pretty progressive compared to NC.
Again, NoVa. You guys are lucky to have it, I guess.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:20 PM

251 posts, read 307,530 times
Richmond.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:19 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,490,287 times
It kinda depends on the area. If you're from Farmville or South Hill, Virginia and make fun of North Carolina for being so un-progressive/hick, then that's just making you look stupid. Same story in North Carolina. If you're from Lumberton or Smithfield and make fun of South Carolina, that's pretty ignorant. I have one friend from Lynchburg, Virginia who jokingly called me a "hick" when I met him because I was from North Carolina. However, I'm from the heart of the Research Triangle about 10 miles from RTP. Kind of a "hick" area? Not really! But that didn't matter to him, as long as I'm from NC! He even told me, "In Virginia, when we think of North Carolina, we think of Deliverance." It's mostly tongue-in-cheek, but I'm sure there are plenty of Maryland folks making fun of Virginia!

Old 01-24-2015, 11:43 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,349,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
If you live outside Northern Virginia, which really isn't that different from Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte these days, you shouldn't look down on North Carolina. Our history isn't perfect, but it's not like Virginia is vastly superior. In fact, I've read that what is now RTP could have been placed in Virginia while they were scouting around during the late 1950's. However, with the Governor of Virginia (Lindsay Almond, Jr.) closing schools around the state rather than integrating, it hurt the image of Virginia to the point of them looking more into North Carolina instead. North Carolina was a bit more progressive at the time, although sneakily managing to get around integration through the Pearsall Plan. Point is, can you imagine a city like Richmond today if RTP was placed up there? You keep on banging on that we're so "less progressive" but we're obviously doing something right if people keep moving here. North Carolina is now 9th in total state population, we climbed ahead of Michigan. Virginia is still 12th. Just look how dead the Virginia CD page is compared to North Carolina. If there is a rivalry between NC and VA, it has to be along the lines of, "We're the most progressive state in the South." Our history isn't perfect in NC, and I have nothing against VA, but it really isn't fair to look down on us.

We should probably get back to Raleigh vs Richmond, anyway. Post another thread if you want to discuss which overall state is "more progressive."
Northern Virginia and the Raleigh/Durham along with Charlotte are very different from eachother lol.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
It kinda depends on the area. If you're from Farmville or South Hill, Virginia and make fun of North Carolina for being so un-progressive/hick, then that's just making you look stupid. Same story in North Carolina. If you're from Lumberton or Smithfield and make fun of South Carolina, that's pretty ignorant. I have one friend from Lynchburg, Virginia who jokingly called me a "hick" when I met him because I was from North Carolina. However, I'm from the heart of the Research Triangle about 10 miles from RTP. Kind of a "hick" area? Not really! But that didn't matter to him, as long as I'm from NC! He even told me, "In Virginia, when we think of North Carolina, we think of Deliverance." It's mostly tongue-in-cheek, but I'm sure there are plenty of Maryland folks making fun of Virginia!
You're right. Marylanders make fun of Virginia all the time, literally.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:44 AM

867 posts, read 1,397,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
LOL! Keep telling yourself this if it makes you feel better.

With the exception of the close-in burbs of NoVa, you are no more progressive than NC in any way at all.

As far as politics go, NC doesn't have a disgraced just out of office Republican Governor preparing for Federal Prison.

These kinds of trashy posts deserve to be met with a dose of reality.
Funny thing is ...THERE is NO "with the exception of the close-in burbs of NoVA" because they are in VIRGINIA!!!! And with the exception of Charlottes skyline, NCs cities are generally suburban. Yet, HR is riddled with smaller cities more urban than NCs largest cities. And RVA is more urban than ANYTHING in NC. As far as "progressive"...HRVA would still have rail based transit... expanded visionary shipping ports (the 1st Panamax ready on the East Coast) and Craney Island expansion...the #1 ranked hospital in the state, William and Mary, Hampton University Proton Therapy...all manners of tech and robotic research labs centers and patented intellectual property... Im not even gonna bother running it all down. And we'd still have congressman Bobby Scott. You wanna exclude NoVA then exclude Raleigh or Charlotte...sounds pretty idiotic, right? I know. NoVA, stands for Northern Virginia...no matter WHO likes it or not...in state transplant or envious out of state haters. Touche' and good riddance to the ex gov...my condolences for the the mayor of Charlotte getting set-up. One thing about it, there will be ethics reform because of his silly behind... he tried to be slick and got caught(McDonnell)... NC is just all outdoors/blatant with it though...stay tuned...

Quote:

LMAO!!! Virginias CD page is dead because people are out and about DOING SHEET!!! SMH. Here we go with the pouty mouth "outside of Northern Virginia"... "no fair.. no fair" argument. Virginia is still good without NoVA. Yall a trip. Northern= Adjective. VIRGINIA= Noun(proper)SMH. YALL (southerners below Virginia) may feel -out of place- in NoVA, but I DONT. If someone really uses CD as some barometer of reality, then they need help anyway. The REALITY is that Spencer aint talkin about the 50's...Spencer114 is talkin about modern times...and sadly, this has been modern times in NC...

FOUL!!!

trynna take it BACK to the 50's

^^^ cuz talkin bout movin back to Ohio?

I had to add these o theyre kinda funny.

^^^^ that was my JAM ..."I knooow youll miss me" LMAO!!

...Speakin of Boy George...while I understand folks religious conviction...

it just doesn't look good to some folks...they start to make fun

This type of foolishness doesn't help NCs image either

that's not neighborly...Im sure those folks out Southside VA realize ya cant
make friends with everybody...@1:45, good ol southern hospitality.

As far as states population... who cares...what are those people doing for North Carolina...we don't need more people, for what? As far as rivalry...North Carolina is like a girl who keeps trynna get your attention...obsessed with being your lover when you already told her..."nah, Im good...lets just be friends"...shes like a pest who leaves you no choice but to be brash and rude to her. And she still doesn't get it. NC WANTS to be a rival...for some kinda validation or something.

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 01-25-2015 at 01:36 AM..

Old 01-25-2015, 03:24 AM

867 posts, read 1,397,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
You're right. Marylanders make fun of Virginia all the time, literally.
The difference is, WE don't care WHAT Maryland says...LMAO, what can they tell us -shrug-?

Old 01-25-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
The difference is, WE don't care WHAT Maryland says...LMAO, what can they tell us -shrug-?
Plus it's more of a teasing type of thing. The Marylanders I've met make fun of Virginia jokingly but so do I time from time. The only place they probably really look down on is southwest Va.

Also, never heard about that lynching in NC?! Suprised it didn't get more media attention that's absolutely insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City