Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Richmond VA 152 54.29%
Raleigh NC 128 45.71%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 07:26 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
In terms of density, it's probably not the best to compare Raleigh or even Richmond to NoVA. Arlington County's 2010 density was 7,993.6 ppsm, calculated at 8,309 ppsm in 2013. The city of Alexandria was 9,314.3 in 2010; Fall's Church was 6,169.1 and even Tysons Corner's was 4,593.43 ppsm in 2010. Obviously, they're even higher now and NoVA can have some intense peak densities in particular areas. I don't think it's a particularly good comparison in this regard, but in terms of lifestyle and industry maybe.

And same year, eh? Are you sure? You've got the Raleigh 2013 density estimate but you're using the Richmond 2010 estimate. Both of mine are from 2010 ( Raleigh - Raleigh (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau and Richmond - Richmond city QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau ) and come from the census. Now, RVA's Wikipedia hasn't been updated to put in an estimate for Richmond's 2013 density and Raleigh's appears slightly off based on the new data supplied by the census.

But if you are going to calculate the new density based on the estimated 2013 pop, that's fine. It becomes:
Raleigh - 2013 est. pop - 431,746/142.9 sq mi =3021.31 ppsm
Richmond - 2013 est. pop - 214,114/59.81 sq mi = 3579.9 ppsm

So, I'm still not sure what the Raleigh wiki page is using for it's est. Still doesn't change the outcome either way. For consistency's sake, I think 2010, which is specifically listed and calculated by the census. Probably better than trying to come up with it on one's own.

While my feelings are not everyone's, specifically, I was thinking of Winston-Salem, but Greensboro is pretty nice too. As a package, they're authentic and that authenticity is what makes a city feel like a city imo. They look and feel like actual places that came together organically as opposed to overnight as though they were specifically trying (too hard) to impress someone. I think Greensboro isn't bad https://www.flickr.com/photos/waynes...55522/sizes/o/. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of people who love living in downtown Raleigh!

Here's another RVA aerial https://www.flickr.com/photos/cpjrva...08232/sizes/l/ And here is one of my own from East of downtown:

Richmond just is so old looking all those bricks. No thanks. Give me glass and lights and shiny it just exudes progressiveness a la Raleigh. Richmond wins however for the interstate cutting right through the center of downtown as it's very dramatic. 2 new skyscrapers went up in Raleigh last year and one under construction now. http://skyhouseraleigh.com/photo-gallery/ , http://chartersquare.com/building-details/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 07:41 AM

830 posts, read 1,017,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Richmond just is so old looking all those bricks. No thanks. Give me glass and lights and shiny it just exudes progressiveness a la Raleigh. Richmond wins however for the interstate cutting right through the center of downtown as it's very dramatic. 2 new skyscrapers went up in Raleigh last year and one under construction now. Photo Gallery | SkyHouse Raleigh , » Building Details
My favorite recent project in Raleigh has been the SECU building, which is attractive and well-designed. Raleigh still has a lot of infill building to do. I think there's a strong mix of old and new in Richmond. Downtown Richmond has been focused on new residential development and rennovation, especially further uptown. High rise development is fairly stable, though there are new projects. This one should be finished later this year:
Gateway Plaza | | Construction Camera: Clayco Inc..

Last edited by aquest1; 01-27-2015 at 07:56 AM..

Old 01-27-2015, 08:29 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,349,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
I was comparing Raleigh and NoVA. Just illustrating the point that "nothing in the Triangle comes close in density" as a claim is false. I also posted Raleigh's total density as well as Richmond's, and my numbers were a true apples to apples comparison since they were from the same year... unlike yours.

The 2013 census estimates for density for both cities are -
Raleigh - 3,023.4/sq mi
Richmond - 3,414.7/sq mi

It's true that Richmond's is denser, though it is closer than you give credit.

Richmond
http://www.colligonphotography.com/b...1002753700.jpg

Raleigh
Clear Sky Images Commercial Photography | 2013-12-06 Raleigh NC Uptown | raleigh-uptown-cbd-120613-22

You love Greensboro but Raleigh feels contrived, like it isn't a "real" city. That sounds rather inconsistent.
The fact that you think the NoVa region and The Triangle region are in the same league when it comes to density is quite appauling. RVA isn't even in the same league, Although the city of Richmond itself without it's outside suburbs is very dense and more dense than Charlotte. If Richmond beats Charlotte in density what makes you think NoVa more dense than both areas won't? What.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:33 PM

354 posts, read 627,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Yes it is. It still doesn't make a difference that Raleigh is still less developed. The fact that Arlington isn't even a city, it's a county and its a suburb of a major city but can compete with Raleigh in many factors such as density speaks volumes. Raleigh is the premier city besides Charlotte but is still very sprawled and less developed. Being 120 square miles less doesn't make a difference, Philly is a lot bigger than DC but is obviously more dense. It's the other way around for other cities as well.

NoVa is more dense than the Research Triangle. I didn't even know this was debatable LOL
Curious Question?? How Is Raleigh less developed??

Old 01-27-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
Curious Question?? How Is Raleigh less developed??
Look at the density stats between Arlington and Raleigh. Explains itself.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Look at the density stats between Arlington and Raleigh. Explains itself.
True that, is Raleigh the only city that is less developed???

Old 01-27-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
True that, is Raleigh the only city that is less developed???
So is Durham which is also in the triangle lol

Old 01-28-2015, 12:25 PM

39 posts, read 40,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Richmond just is so old looking all those bricks. No thanks. Give me glass and lights and shiny it just exudes progressiveness a la Raleigh. Richmond wins however for the interstate cutting right through the center of downtown as it's very dramatic. 2 new skyscrapers went up in Raleigh last year and one under construction now. Photo Gallery | SkyHouse Raleigh , » Building Details
Because everyone loves a bunch of generic looking glass towers...

Old 01-28-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
So is Durham which is also in the triangle lol
I meant to say in the south period, Other than Raleigh & Durham being less developed, are there any other cities in the south that is less developed??

Old 01-28-2015, 02:37 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyG1996 View Post
Because everyone loves a bunch of generic looking glass towers...
A few historic well kept buildings are nice and provide history and nostalgia. But yes in 2015 we love our progressive shiny downtowns. Onward and upward!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City