Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most diverse?
Boston 3 2.88%
Chicago 6 5.77%
Houston 21 20.19%
Los Angeles 35 33.65%
Miami 7 6.73%
Montreal 4 3.85%
San Francisco 11 10.58%
Vancouver 5 4.81%
Washington 12 11.54%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 02:09 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
On that we're in agreement.

Of course Queens NY comes pretty close to an even split between the "big four", but more importantly is the diversity within these groups that puts it over the top. Queens is no doubt the most ethnically diverse place in the world.
How could the Queens have more diversity than Miami ,LA ,Toronto ,SF or Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 02:12 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,713,407 times
There are different types of diversity though (ethnic, racial, foreign born, etc).
Percentage wise, L.A. might have more visible minorities (a large amount of them are Hispanics), but Toronto has a much higher percentage of foreign born residents over L.A.

Quality of Life in Toronto

Old 09-05-2014, 03:14 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
NYC and Toronto are definitely the top two in N.A.
SF, Miami & LA would round out the top 5 (not in order).
Well, among large US metros, the top 5 are:

1 San Francisco
2 Washington DC
3 New York
4 San Jose
5 Las Vegas

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...erse-msas.html

Old 09-05-2014, 03:27 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,722,245 times
Moving on...

I would put L.A. as the most diverse in the group, San Francisco/the Bay Area second. The Washington area may come in after that, given that no group dominates its immigrant population. It has the largest African-born population in the US and quite large Asian populations in suburban Maryland and Virginia, though it lacks a significant European/"white ethnic" presence.

Among the other cities, Boston has representation from a lot of groups not seen in much of the US (Cape Verdeans, Brazilians, etc.) But it is also a much whiter metro than all the others. Chicago's foreign born is heavily Mexican but also has the more Polish Americans and Polish immigrants than anywhere else. Montreal is sort of like Boston in that it has large swaths that are very homogeneous, but also has some unique communities represented (i.e. North Africans and Lebanese). Vancouver and Miami are high foreign born, but dominated by certain regions (Asia in the case of Vancouver, Latin America and the Caribbean in the case of Miami). Houston I'm not sure where to rank, with its very large Mexican population, an array of Asian groups and I believe a good size Nigerian population, although I'm not sure how big it actually is.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:49 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Houston MAY be more RACIALLY diverse, but I'm going with LA METRO, NYC METRO as the most ETHNICALLY diverse.

Just being observational... not based on any studies

Old 09-05-2014, 03:54 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
I never got the whole diversity thing. I don't always get along with people that have the same religion and race as well and have had friends that are hispanic and Asian that same similar interests to me. I did notice some of the most diverse the city like LA, Chicagoand NY.. most of ethnic and racial groups didn't always seem to get along that well like Mexicans and blacks, Asians and Mexicans, Blacks and whites. Cities like Houston, Austin and Atlanta were cities I visited that it seemed like people all of races got along well. This thread is in general and again just my opinion. Just treat people the way you want to be treated and for the most part you can get along with any nationality, race or religion.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:02 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,713,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, among large US metros, the top 5 are:

1 San Francisco
2 Washington DC
3 New York
4 San Jose
5 Las Vegas

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...erse-msas.html
I'm surprised that LV made the list.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:03 PM

1,486 posts, read 292,593 times
LA, Bay Area, and WDC in those order are most diverse IMO.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:56 PM

54 posts, read 89,986 times
I'm sorry, but Vancouver takes the overall money for me. I've never been in such a melting pot in my life. It's like being in Asia while seeing Islamic people everywhere and also sipping British tea while also containing a rich Native American heritage.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:55 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,722,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wata-Z View Post
I'm sorry, but Vancouver takes the overall money for me. I've never been in such a melting pot in my life. It's like being in Asia while seeing Islamic people everywhere and also sipping British tea while also containing a rich Native American heritage.
Do you mean Sikhs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City