Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the strongest Italian presence?
Baltimore 24 55.81%
New Orleans 8 18.60%
San Francisco 11 25.58%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 07:08 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Two Baltimore natives who've provided their full names means a lot more than an anonymous internet poster allegedly from Louisiana.

And it's not like Baltimore City's website refers to the city as a southern city or anything....
Nathaniel Branson is from Tennessee.

Where does it say that on the website?

Old 09-22-2014, 07:15 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Nathaniel Branson is from Tennessee.
That's true. My mistake. He's only lived in Baltimore for nearly all of his adult life. The other part was spent in Chattanooga, which he considered to be as southern as Baltimore.

Quote:
Where does it say that on the website?
Did you not see the quote about the "sleepy southern town" upthread?

Quote:
Baltimore has been described as a sleepy southern town and a commercial-industrial center. Its many nicknames include “Charm City” and “Mob Town.” With cities to the south, it shares longstanding trade routes, a relaxed pace of life, and a history deeply informed by slavery, Jim Crow, and the cultural influence of a centuries-old African American population. With cities to the north, it shares a history of industrialization (and deindustrialization) along with the ethnic diversity that comes from being a major port of immigration.
400 Years of History | Baltimore National Heritage Area

I expect the denials, allegations of "cherrypickin," word-mincing, and outright dismissals, as is the norm on City-Data when people don't like what sources say.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:23 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times
It also says:

" With cities to the north, it shares a history of industrialization (and deindustrialization) along with the ethnic diversity that comes from being a major port of immigration."

Dude, you cherry picked the hell out of that paragraph. It was saying that Baltimore was a city of contridiction. You're reaching at this point.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:26 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's true. My mistake. He's only lived in Baltimore for nearly all of his adult life. The other part was spent in Chattanooga, which he considered to be as southern as Baltimore.
I wasn't aware his words were golden.

Quote:
Did you not see the quote about the "sleepy southern town" upthread?
LMAO that's not quite what I was expecting. People describe gumbo as spicy vegetable soup, doesn't mean it's correct.
Relaxed pace of life describes the West Coast and Midwest too.
Slavery took a toll on the whole nation, New York and New Jersey were also slaves states.
Jim Crow laws were nationwide..
Black people hada century worth of influence in other major cities like New York, Philly, Chicago, Detroit, etc. Black people doesn't make it southern.

Quote:

400 Years of History | Baltimore National Heritage Area

I expect the denials, allegations of "cherrypickin," word-mincing, and outright dismissals, as is the norm on City-Data when people don't like what sources say.
I'm willing to bet majority of Baltimoreans would not agree with you.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
It also says:

" With cities to the north, it shares a history of industrialization (and deindustrialization) along with the ethnic diversity that comes from being a major port of immigration."

Dude, you cherry picked the hell out of that paragraph. It was saying that Baltimore was a city of contridiction. You're reaching at this point.
Ah yes, the cries of "cherrypicking," even after I provided the whole quote. You act like I omitted something. I simply said that the site refers to Baltimore as a "sleepy southern town," which is a description you don't hear about Philadelphia, which is only about an hour and 20 minutes north.

Baltimore is like a dude claiming to be 100% heterosexual, yet dudes stay coming out of the closet saying they had sex together. Not too convincing if you ask me.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I wasn't aware his words were golden.
I didn't say they were. I just find it fascinating that so many Baltimoreans refer to their city as "southern." And it's not like these are nobodies. You've got guys like John Waters and Benjamin Jealous, very prominent Baltimoreans, saying it's southern. Most people in Baltimore know who John Waters and Benjamin Jealous are. Most people in Baltimore do not know who we are.

Reginald Lewis, the first African American billionaire who grew up in East Baltimore, describes Baltimore as a "southern city" of "gentility and slow living."

Quote:
LMAO that's not quite what I was expecting. People describe gumbo as spicy vegetable soup, doesn't mean it's correct.
Relaxed pace of life describes the West Coast and Midwest too.
Slavery took a toll on the whole nation, New York and New Jersey were also slaves states.
Jim Crow laws were nationwide..
Black people hada century worth of influence in other major cities like New York, Philly, Chicago, Detroit, etc. Black people doesn't make it southern.
Okay. But where on those cities' history page does it say that they have been described as a "sleepy southern town" and had a "recognizablly southern disposition"? You can argue that all of those things don't mean "southern," but then when prominent figures (i.e., John Waters, Ben Jealous, Reg Lewis, Diane Cole) come outright and say it's Southern, then all we hear is "Well, well, well, um, yeah, well, so!" You basically have to outright reject everything they say.

With Philly or NYC, there's nothing to reject...cuz nobody says those things about these cities. They don't have a history rooted in the South. Baltimore does.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:53 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Holy cow did this thread go sour. Time to close it.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City