Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the strongest Italian presence?
Baltimore 24 55.81%
New Orleans 8 18.60%
San Francisco 11 25.58%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 03:40 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,024,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore is the south too, so I don't see the logic in that statement.
The main reason Baltimore doesn't have a mafia crime family like other cities with traditionally large Italian populations is because Baltimore was always considered part of the Philly mob territory.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:26 PM

10,118 posts, read 10,008,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The main reason Baltimore doesn't have a mafia crime family like other cities with traditionally large Italian populations is because Baltimore was always considered part of the Philly mob territory.
Baltimore had a crime family independent of NYC and Philly, but eventually is became a faction of the Gambino Family.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Crew

Old 09-22-2014, 04:34 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,193,717 times
Quote:
Not true at all. Please tell me you didn't get that from a crappy Wikipedia article. The Philly mafia has only ever had activity in the Philly/South Jersey area and to a lesser extent northern Delaware and that's it. Baltimore is a completely separate and different area that never had a notable mafia presence. Baltimore doesn't have a "traditionally large" Italian population btw so I don't know what you are trying to say.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:36 PM

22,378 posts, read 39,002,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Not true at all. Please tell me you didn't get that from a crappy Wikipedia article. The Philly mafia has only ever had activity in the Philly/South Jersey area and to a lesser extent northern Delaware and that's it. Baltimore is a completely separate and different area that never had a notable mafia presence. Baltimore doesn't have a "traditionally large" Italian population btw so I don't know what you are trying to say.
I believe this correct

AC was fought over between NYC and Philly back and forth

Trenton at times too dont know of any Baltimore influence

Philly had more connections to NYC and even Chicago (Miami to lesser extent) than it did to Baltimore

Old 09-22-2014, 04:37 PM

32,151 posts, read 34,822,702 times
Quote:
Baltimore and Philly are practically the same city. Anything that could be said about Baltimore could be said about Philly and vice versa. Culturally, they are exactly the same.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Of course Baltimore' Italian immigration wasn't as large as the other Northern cities but certainly large enough to form their own ethnic neighborhoods like you see in other cities with large Italian populations. I don't know why some people are so quick to downplay the Italian American history of Baltimore. Baltimore having a large number of Ethnic Whites is one of things the city has more in common with Northern cities than it dies with Southern cities.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Of course Baltimore' Italian immigration wasn't as large as the other Northern cities but certainly large enough to form their own ethnic neighborhoods like you see in other cities with large Italian populations. I don't know why some people are so quick to downplay the Italian American history of Baltimore. Baltimore having a large number of Ethnic Whites is one of things the city has more in common with Northern cities than it dies with Southern cities.
Same is true of NOLA though. It's more Italian than Baltimore.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Same is true of NOLA though. It's more Italian than Baltimore.
New Orleans is an exception to the rule. It's a unique area that's not really like the rest of the country despite being located in the Deep South. I've said this many times.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
New Orleans is an exception to the rule. It's a unique area that's not really like the rest of the country despite being located in the Deep South. I've said this many times.
Baltimore was also an exception to the rule.

Quote:
Baltimore has been described as a sleepy southern town and a commercial-industrial center. Its many nicknames include “Charm City” and “Mob Town.” With cities to the south, it shares longstanding trade routes, a relaxed pace of life, and a history deeply informed by slavery, Jim Crow, and the cultural influence of a centuries-old African American population. With cities to the north, it shares a history of industrialization (and deindustrialization) along with the ethnic diversity that comes from being a major port of immigration.
400 Years of History | Baltimore National Heritage Area

Old 09-22-2014, 05:09 PM

10,118 posts, read 10,008,645 times
Maybe New Orleans French culture is more dominant that all others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City