Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more iconic/visually recognizable?
Chicago 29 36.71%
San Francisco 50 63.29%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 12:52 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times

Advertisements

My bad. It was X-Men. This list says San Francisco is the 7th most destroyed city on screen. Chicago is listed 9th.

Top 10 most destroyed cities in movie history | New Movies Review Trailer and More

Attack on the Golden Gate Bridge - Supercut - YouTube

Old 09-23-2014, 12:53 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Then you need to get flip out you passport and get out more. Things are changing, attitudes are changing, and the old days are long gone.
Logical reasoning fail.

I personally recognize those skylines. I said that most people don't recognize skylines outside of NYC, which is true. My personal recognition of skylines is irrelevent.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:56 PM

555 posts, read 862,398 times
How some people get so butt hurt about skylines is simply amazing.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:53 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Not to slight Chicago but... what are the big internationally-known landmarks in Chicago? The Willis/Sears Tower and the Bean are the closest I can think of. Its skyline is indeed famous but it often gets confused for New York. For that matter, what are the big locally-known landmarks in Chicago?
I don't think that there are any. Nothing as well known as The Statue of Liberty, The Hollywood sign, etc. As a Chicagoan, I have no problem with that.

I would say that the locally known landmarks are The Navy Pier, Cloud Gate (aka, The Bean, which is quite remarkable in person) Buckingham Fountain, and Lake Shore Drive.
I would also include the Sears and Hancock towers.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:03 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Not to slight Chicago but... what are the big internationally-known landmarks in Chicago? The Willis/Sears Tower and the Bean are the closest I can think of. Its skyline is indeed famous but it often gets confused for New York. For that matter, what are the big locally-known landmarks in Chicago?
The Museum of Science and Industry
Navy Pier
Chicago Deep Dish Pizza, (Geno's East is the original I believe, been there)
The Magnificent Mile
Shedd Aquarium
The Loop
The El
Millennium Station and Millennium Park
Brookfield Zoo

This coming from someone who lived in the midwest, near Chicago, not a resident. Admittedly I've never been to San Francisco, but I thought it would be a worthy opponent in which is more visually recognizable.

While probably not very recognizable as Chicago, there's no denying how impressive looking it is.

Chicago Loop:

Google Image Result for

Old 09-23-2014, 02:52 PM

261 posts, read 266,859 times
(BACK TO MAIN TOPIC) I live in Wisconsin about 3 hours from Chicago by car so im not biased but im truthful. ive been to both cities and Chicago doesn't compete with SF. I agree its clean but it just doesn't have the vibrancy upbeat like SF or NYC. SF is more beautiful, has better weather and more bars, restraunts, theaters, cafes etc per capita and more international diversity, distinctiveness, wealth, education, younger people, and much more progressive. and IMO it has more character and attitude and is a city that takes action for what it believes in. It is home to the Black Panther Party movement, Hippy/peace Movement, 420 movement, etc and are innovators in culture and lifestyle... but maybe I shouldn't have said it "blows chi out the water" that was just in retaliation for people who don't know how to compare cities across the board

Old 09-23-2014, 02:58 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspoon91 View Post
its is a great city indeed but im saying that its not as visually recognizable compared to sf because of the gg bridge and victorian houses stacked on rolling hills and cable cars
And their response is subway lines and alibaba.

LOL. Clearly envy of SF has gotten the better of some forumers.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:01 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
two truly iconic cities, highly recognizable, and among the pantheon of heavy weights among US cities. Both Chicago and San Francisco are highly recognizable as they are both highly desirable. And being that they are both my favorite cities and know them intimately and am a part of both, my experiences have been that Chicagoans love San Francisco and San Franciscans love Chicago.

hey, it's city vs. city here on city-data, of course, but out in the real world, these two cities relate to and respect each other very well.

as for hills…yep, San Francisco does hills better than any other place, incredible in their straight grid and their interaction with the bay. But Chicago does flat better than any other place and its flatness works for it very well as each neighborhood seamlessly blends into the next and everything is so damned walkable.

Chicago vs. San Francisco? Please….don't ask me to choose. Love 'em both dearly.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:03 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Trust me, people outside America knows the name of San Fran etc, but that's pretty much it. It is not Paris or London. Far from it.

As to "Shanghai looks like the rest of China other than a few buildings", wow, I can only say WOW. It is amazing how utterly ignorant people dare say about the world they have never seen. It is like saying NYC is just like Omaha except for a few skyscrapers.
Makes sense. Why should people outside of America care to know/learn about places like SF and Chicago when people here couldn't even give a second thought to what's outside our bubble.

And as for saying things about places they have never been to, it seems to be the #1 past-time here on C-D.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:09 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspoon91 View Post
(BACK TO MAIN TOPIC) I live in Wisconsin about 3 hours from Chicago by car so im not biased but im truthful. ive been to both cities and Chicago doesn't compete with SF. I agree its clean but it just doesn't have the vibrancy upbeat like SF or NYC. SF is more beautiful, has better weather and more bars, restraunts, theaters, cafes etc per capita and more international diversity, distinctiveness, wealth, education, younger people, and much more progressive. and IMO it has more character and attitude and is a city that takes action for what it believes in. It is home to the Black Panther Party movement, Hippy/peace Movement, 420 movement, etc and are innovators in culture and lifestyle... but maybe I shouldn't have said it "blows chi out the water" that was just in retaliation for people who don't know how to compare cities across the board
As a Chicagoan, sorry you don't have a good thing to say about my home town. Sorry I can't return the favor. Milwaukee and Madison are major cities in your state and I find both of them terrific.

tspoon, we may think SF "blows chi out of the water" and that's fine;it's your opinion. You know who doesn't think that way? Chicagoans. We think our city is incredible on every level and we don't even need to compare it other places as (1) know our own greatness and (2) thus are not afraid of the "competition" (which isn't competition at all,but merely other places to love.)

So a Chicagoan and go to and throughly enjoy and embrace the greatness of such great US cities like Boston, New York, Washington, San Francisco, and Los Angeles, and not feel the least bit threatened by them as we know we belong with them.

but that's us. If you feel differently about us up in Wausau, that's your right too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City