Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more iconic/visually recognizable?
Chicago 29 36.71%
San Francisco 50 63.29%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 03:14 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
As a Chicagoan, sorry you don't have a good thing to say about my home town. Sorry I can't return the favor. Milwaukee and Madison are major cities in your state and I find both of them terrific.

tspoon, we may think SF "blows chi out of the water" and that's fine;it's your opinion. You know who doesn't think that way? Chicagoans. We think our city is incredible on every level and we don't even need to compare it other places as (1) know our own greatness and (2) thus are not afraid of the "competition" (which isn't competition at all,but merely other places to love.)

So a Chicagoan and go to and throughly enjoy and embrace the greatness of such great US cities like Boston, New York, Washington, San Francisco, and Los Angeles, and not feel the least bit threatened by them as we know we belong with them.

but that's us. If you feel differently about us up in Wausau, that's your right too.
Eloquent and well said.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:18 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,710,706 times
SF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I think if you removed the Golden Gate Bridge, SF would be hard to ID, specifically if youre talking solely about the skyline. Id give the slight edge to Chicago on this one, as the skyline is unique. This was a tough one!
So let's remove the GG Bridge but not remove anything from Chicago?

Old 09-23-2014, 03:27 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
SF.

I'll trade you a bridge for the the El

Old 09-23-2014, 04:14 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
SF.

I was referring to the skyline and its buildings, not bridges. The pyramid in SF is distinguishable, but not so much as the Sears Tower, which is far more famous. If you want to remove a landmark that isnt a building downtown, then we'll remove Lake Michigan from the picture... Chicago's skyline will still be distinguishable.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:31 PM

261 posts, read 266,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
As a Chicagoan, sorry you don't have a good thing to say about my home town. Sorry I can't return the favor. Milwaukee and Madison are major cities in your state and I find both of them terrific.

tspoon, we may think SF "blows chi out of the water" and that's fine;it's your opinion. You know who doesn't think that way? Chicagoans. We think our city is incredible on every level and we don't even need to compare it other places as (1) know our own greatness and (2) thus are not afraid of the "competition" (which isn't competition at all,but merely other places to love.)

So a Chicagoan and go to and throughly enjoy and embrace the greatness of such great US cities like Boston, New York, Washington, San Francisco, and Los Angeles, and not feel the least bit threatened by them as we know we belong with them.

but that's us. If you feel differently about us up in Wausau, that's your right too.
I completely respect that.. Chicago is a great city. theyre both great in their own way and the reason why I pointed out some details on why SF is better, it was simply based on the criteria of how some rate cities.. NO CITY IS BETTER THAN THE NEXT, ITS ALL IN OPINION AND THE CRITERIA YOU USE TO JUDGE IT

Old 09-23-2014, 04:35 PM

96 posts, read 252,325 times
San Fran: Trolleys, Hills, Great close houses, very bright looking houses

Chicago: ... Idk, a lake next to a big downtown.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:37 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,710,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I was referring to the skyline and its buildings, not bridges. The pyramid in SF is distinguishable, but not so much as the Sears Tower, which is far more famous. If you want to remove a landmark that isnt a building downtown, then we'll remove Lake Michigan from the picture... Chicago's skyline will still be distinguishable.
Oh of course. Thats because Chicago has a obvious much bigger skyline and one of the biggest in the world. But I think this thread is just talking about features in general for each city if I'm not mistaken. Not the skyline.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:39 PM

261 posts, read 266,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rofl33cat View Post
San Fran: Trolleys, Hills, Great close houses, very bright looking houses

Chicago: ... Idk, a lake next to a big downtown.
amen lol

Old 09-23-2014, 04:53 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Oh of course. Thats because Chicago has a obvious much bigger skyline and one of the biggest in the world. But I think this thread is just talking about features in general for each city if I'm not mistaken. Not the skyline.
The skyline of Chicago isn't helping it with foreign tourist numbers in comparison to S.F.. S.F gets far more International tourists to it than Chicago so I think that speaks to something in terms of global recognition.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:58 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The skyline of Chicago isn't helping it with foreign tourist numbers in comparison to S.F.. S.F gets far more International tourists to it than Chicago so I think that speaks to something in terms of global recognition.
Or San Francisco is simply in a better geographic location to receive more international visitors--recognition isn't necessarily the root cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City