Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more iconic/visually recognizable?
Chicago 29 36.71%
San Francisco 50 63.29%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 11:59 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,366 times

Advertisements

Crux of this thread: If you remove a feature from a city, it is totally comparable to another city that hasn't had anything removed from it.

Did you guys know that except for the fact that I'm not a billionaire, I am almost exactly like Donald Trump?

Old 09-23-2014, 12:00 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
You telling me people around the world can't recognize this skyline?
I really don't think most people could recognize Shanghai's skyline.
Quote:
Or this...
Probably as Dubai is pretty famous for it's skyline. Hong Kong would be another one. But most cities I don't think are recognized by their collection of office buildings in the downtown core; London, Rome, Paris, Amsterdam, etc..even LA is probably more recognized by the Hollywood sign and the topography than it's skyline. One time I was looking a pic of the LA skyline on the computer with the snow capped mountains in the background and two of my friends (that live in San Diego less than 2 hours from LA) thought it was Denver lol.
Quote:
Or maybe this one. Trigger any lingering memories? Or maybe it's time to renew your passport?
When include monuments and landmarks like the Eiffel Tower, Space Needle, Golden Gate Bridge, etc..with skylines yes it's easy to recognize them. But show a collection of office buildings, which is typically what most skylines are made up of, then I think it becomes a lot harder. Show a pic of La Defense and see how many people identify that as Paris.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:03 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspoon91 View Post
first of all paris' skyline isn't in that pic, and secondly the pic of shanghai and Dubai aren't as universally known because they are new skylines.. do u think ur grandma or auntie wud recognize those cities before San Francisco???... I didn't think so the GGbridgr alone is more known than those cities.. not everybody is skyscraper conscious
The grandma comment would only apply for US grandmas though, and maybe Canadian.

The idea that the Golden Gate Bridge alone is "more known" than those cities is kind of ridiculous.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:11 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
You telling me people around the world can't recognize this skyline?
Well you didn't show the Paris skyline. You showed the most famous landmark, which is kind of my point. Skylines aren't that important.

And no, I don't think most people would recognize the Shanghai or Dubai skylines.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:24 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
You sound crazy,,,Chicago is a BASIC American city and doesn't have really anything distinctive about it other than terrible weather. Even a Martian would recognize San Francisco.... so I say SF no contest (GGBridge, Victorian urban houses compacted on rolling hills, Alcatraz, Mountain backdrop, Bay bridge, coastline, Transamerica pyramid, Cable cars)
Im crazy to think Chicago is "basic"? Oh dear.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:26 PM

261 posts, read 266,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The grandma comment would only apply for US grandmas though, and maybe Canadian.

The idea that the Golden Gate Bridge alone is "more known" than those cities is kind of ridiculous.
I meant more internationally known VISUALLY

Old 09-23-2014, 12:28 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,581 times
Quote:
first of all paris' skyline isn't in that pic, and secondly the pic of shanghai and Dubai aren't as universally known because they are new skylines.. do u think ur grandma or auntie wud recognize those cities before San Francisco???... I didn't think so the GGbridge alone is more known than those cities towers.. not everybody is skyscraper conscious, but ur grandparents and kids kno where the golden gate bridge is, but not the burj khalifa
I'm a bit embarrassed to say, but growing up in Germany, we really did not know and never seen things like your beloved Golden Gate or cable cars. Maybe we were just a bit close minded in Berlin and were not exposed to American culture as much. My Oma never set foot in America, and the only thing she'd recognize about America was probably Statue of Liberty, Empire State, maybe Capitol Hill, and western cowboys... And you are right, she definitely wouldn't recognize Shanghai or Dubai. I think Dubai was just a fishing town back in her days.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Well you didn't show the Paris skyline. You showed the most famous landmark, which is kind of my point. Skylines aren't that important.

And no, I don't think most people would recognize the Shanghai or Dubai skylines.
Then you need to get flip out you passport and get out more. Things are changing, attitudes are changing, and the old days are long gone.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I really don't think most people could recognize Shanghai's skyline.
By most people, you mean most Americans? Alright I get it.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:35 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
As far as Internationally recognizable I'd say S.F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City