Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you pronounce them?
All the same 50 65.79%
All different 14 18.42%
One different than the other two 12 15.79%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 12:45 PM

22,378 posts, read 39,039,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
I agree with this. I'm from NYC and pronounce all three differently. Currently in Houston and in my experience, have heard them say "Don" and "Dawn" the same way as well.

I would say Dawn like the word "awning" btw
Yes Dawn and Don are pronounced differently to me as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 12:46 PM

22,378 posts, read 39,039,243 times
Here is one

pronounce

Newark NJ
and
Newark DE

both are pronounced differently

Old 10-16-2014, 01:34 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,045,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
agree in fact to me they are more dissimilar to the ear than would be the marry, marry, mary which to me are all different as well
Quote:
Yes Dawn and Don are pronounced differently to me as well
Quote:
Here is one

pronounce

Newark NJ
and
Newark DE

both are pronounced differently
Agree with all this.

I have a friend from CA who frequently flies in and out of Newark to go home/return and she cannot for the life of her say Newark (NJ) properly. It always comes out "nyoo-ARK." And she tries so hard because she knows we don't say it like she thinks we do and how she would naturally say it, but she can never say it "right." New-erk. Said so quickly it almost sounds like Nork. "New-ark" is in Delaware. I should start telling people that, if they ask how to get to "New-ark" or where it is, I should say they need to head down the Turnpike until they hit a bridge over the river and see a sign that says "Delaware"...

Old 10-16-2014, 01:36 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,567,945 times
The thing about Mary, merry, and marry is that it doesn't really matter how they are pronounced because it's almost always clear what word you're using based on the context of the sentence they are used in(one's a name, one's a adjective, and one's a verb). Same thing with cot and caught(and how often does anyone ever talk about "cots").

I can hear people who say the words with a difference, but even in the more heavier accented parts of the country--it's a minor difference in pronunciation most often.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:33 AM

9,721 posts, read 9,482,960 times
The same. Mayy-ree.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:43 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,242,914 times
Mary and Marry as "Mury" or "Murry".

Merry as Merry.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:45 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,242,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Agree with all this.

I have a friend from CA who frequently flies in and out of Newark to go home/return and she cannot for the life of her say Newark (NJ) properly. It always comes out "nyoo-ARK." And she tries so hard because she knows we don't say it like she thinks we do and how she would naturally say it, but she can never say it "right." New-erk. Said so quickly it almost sounds like Nork. "New-ark" is in Delaware. I should start telling people that, if they ask how to get to "New-ark" or where it is, I should say they need to head down the Turnpike until they hit a bridge over the river and see a sign that says "Delaware"...
I usually pronounce Newark as "New-erk" lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City