Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has a worse winter?
Minneapolis 283 82.51%
Seattle 60 17.49%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 05:14 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
I live in New England and have no ties to Minneapolis so obviously I'm not a homer. Seattlites are the only ones trying to pretend Seattle is something it's not while the rest of us are outright accepting the reality that Minneapolis is cold and that we would rather have cold and snow than a 43 degree waste. I agree with them. If it's going to be cold it might as well just snow.
What are you on about? It seems to me you just have a bone to pick with Seattle. Nothing you're saying here makes any sense. You act as if everyone who posted in favor of Seattle or said anything good about it is in some kind of denial about the wet, grey winter conditions, which no one here is actually doing. You're just pulling that one out of your *** and stating it as fact.

Don't like Seattle? Fine, then don't go there. Just stop making baseless accusations. It's ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 05:15 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,122,874 times
Quote:
And who is comparing the midwest to northern California?
Seattle's weather has more in common with Northern California than Minnesota.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:20 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,877 times
Like I said, to each his own. Some of us in Western Washington have lived in other places, and when we were in the east (NC, PA), I rooted for it to snow, but part of that was because all the leaves were down and the scenery wasn't that great snow made it prettier. In the Pac NW, when the leaves drop off in the fall, everything is still green and the scenery is spectacular. And as much as I like snow, it would really be a pain to have to deal with it on hilly streets in Western WA cities. Besides, I can get to snow in less than 30 minutes anytime, not just after a storm.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:22 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
This is past ridiculous. Have you ever lived in Seattle? For those that have we will continue to tell you it's far from pure misery. Smh.
How is stating a fact ridiculous? Seattle is not sunny. That's a fact. Seattle winters are not warm. That's also a fact. So we have cloudy and cold yet not quite cold enough to snow. Is it that hard to believe that many people prefer a winter with snow to one consisting of a depressing drizzle?

Old 12-09-2014, 05:29 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
Ok snow. Wind chill. Ice. What else is there.
Sunshine, humidity, general precipitation, wind, cloud cover, daylight hours.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:36 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
How is stating a fact ridiculous? Seattle is not sunny. That's a fact. Seattle winters are not warm. That's also a fact. So we have cloudy and cold yet not quite cold enough to snow. Is it that hard to believe that many people prefer a winter with snow to one consisting of a depressing drizzle?
So what. Is it pure misery? Not hardly. Is it cold? Not compared to my winters back east. So to me it wasn't that cold. What's depressing to me is not seeing color. Or plant life. Or continued daytime temps below freezing. Seattle winters are a breeze imo. Quite lovely in fact.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:44 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,387,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
exactly what relative humidity do you consider "darn humid" in the wintertime when it's below freezing?

explain again to me how that water in those frozen-over lakes affect the hunidity
I think WY is just so dry, it sent my humidity precedent very low. What I consider very humid, you probably don't.

As for the humidity, being on the MS river and all the lakes. More bodies of water= more moisture in air. They're not all frozen over 24/7 Nov-March.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:56 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
What are you on about? It seems to me you just have a bone to pick with Seattle. Nothing you're saying here makes any sense. You act as if everyone who posted in favor of Seattle or said anything good about it is in some kind of denial about the wet, grey winter conditions, which no one here is actually doing. You're just pulling that one out of your *** and stating it as fact.

Don't like Seattle? Fine, then don't go there. Just stop making baseless accusations. It's ridiculous.
I never said everyone. I am perfectly capable of understanding that some people prefer Seattle's weather. I'm not retarded. As for the bold.. bullcrap. Seattlites are some of the worst I've seen in denial about their weather. If it's so great why cherry pick a day out of the forecast that is about 10-15 degrees above normal and boast?

Nobody defending Minneapolis has stooped that low that I'm aware of.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:00 PM

560 posts, read 666,935 times
Quote:
Seattle is sunny during the Summer. And its Winters are very mild. More to the point, it is no more overcast during the Winter than much of the country. With the exception of South Florida and Southern California, most of the US is overcast during Winter.

Seattle earns its cloudy/rainy rep in the Fall and Spring. When other cities are seeing the sun peek out around April, Seattle is still looking at day after day of gray clouds and drizzle well into June.

But since we're talking about Winter weather let's look at the averages (all numbers in Fahrenheit):

Avg high in Seattle in January is 46 degrees. Avg high in Minneapolis in January is 22.

Avg low in Seattle in January is 36 degrees. Avg low in Minneapolis in January is 4.

FOUR.

And the averages obviously don't tell the whole story. Any given day in Dec, Jan, Feb, or Mar in Minneapolis the high might be -5. Or worse.

When the high is -5, who cares if it's sunny out? Going out on the town, walking for blocks and blocks through a city in -5 degree weather is far more miserable than walking around in the mid 40s with cloud cover.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:02 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,929 times
Seattle winters are not even bad or cold, just overcast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City