Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has a worse winter?
Minneapolis 283 82.51%
Seattle 60 17.49%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 12:41 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,202,751 times

Advertisements

The Twin Cities are freezing for 3-5 months out of the year...I knew quite a few who moved to San Diego for that sole reason. I guess what can be considered "cold" is a matter of opinion, but it's pretty well-known that Minneapolis and its surrounding areas are cold for more than the standard 3 months that we see out here in the BosWash corridor, even more extreme than Chicago much of the time, and for darned sure colder than the PNW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 12:47 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
are YOU trying to be funny? You know what people mean by winter. Who cares if astronomical winter is from Dec 21 to March 19? Winter in LA and Miami is almost non-existent, winter in Alaska lasts for 7 months or more. Winter is not a 3 month period in the calendar. Winter weather can be any time when the weather is below 32 or when it snows even if this is in May.
I like how you changed it from below 40 to below 32 . So you didn't really know. Whatever the case, Minneapolis doesn't have 4 or 5 months of freezing temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
The Twin Cities are freezing for 3-5 months out of the year...
You are wrong. 3 months yes - 5 months nope.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:51 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
I like how you changed it from below 40 to below 32 . So you didn't really know. Whatever the case, Minneapolis doesn't have 4 or 5 months of freezing temps.
0C = 32F. It was a typo. I meant below freezing with a chance of snow.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:03 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
I'm not a retard.
Ummm.... oh, nevermind.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:17 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,510,947 times
Doesn't minneapolis sometimes get snow in October? What most of consider "winter" lasts months longer in Minnesota than it does in most of the rest of the country. As much as the snow can be beautiful, I couldn't deal with that.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:42 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Doesn't minneapolis sometimes get snow in October? What most of consider "winter" lasts months longer in Minnesota than it does in most of the rest of the country. As much as the snow can be beautiful, I couldn't deal with that.
It hasn't snowed in October since I've been living in Minneapolis and I've been here a while. I'm assuming northern Minnesota often gets snow in October though.

According to the University of Minnesota's Climatology Working Group, "The last time there was measurable snow in October in the Twin Cities was .2 (two tenths) of an inch on October 20 and .4 (four tenths) of an inch on October 21, 2002. The most snow for the month of October is (of course) the 1991 Halloween Blizzard with 8.2 inches, which all fell on October 31."

Last edited by YIMBY; 12-10-2014 at 01:53 PM..

Old 12-10-2014, 01:53 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
pretty rare for snow to hit the TCs on a given day in October, probably less than 10% on avg.

November starts out at about 20% of a chance of snow on a particular day and hits about 40% by the end of the month on avg.

Probably more likely to hit 50 then have snow until you get into the last week or so of November.

I've never thought winter to last more than Jan - Feb up here, after that...it's all gravy.

I'll continue to experience my winters as being crisp vs dank.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:00 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,055 times
If Minneapolis didn't have all of it's snow and cold, it wouldn't be the urban Nordic skiing heaven that it is. So nobody will be able to convince me that our winters are "bad." Somewhere has to have the extreme cold, we are that somewhere, and we take advantage of it very well.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:27 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Yes I understand those are very fun activities, but do majority of people in Minneapolis do those things THAT often during the winter? Like more than once or twice a week?
Anyway, my point is that the weather in the winter in Seattle doesn't hinder normal daily life in any way at all. Not saying the weather is nice, just doesn't cause any issues.
My friends and I had a game every Saturday. Anything else was based around our schedules. But Saturdays are a pretty common day to see people.

Besides significant storms I don't recall snow causing any issues so much that I'd rather have a 45 degree winter over it. I'm not going to make $100-$200 an hour plowing rain.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:36 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
My friends and I had a game every Saturday. Anything else was based around our schedules. But Saturdays are a pretty common day to see people.

Besides significant storms I don't recall snow causing any issues so much that I'd rather have a 45 degree winter over it. I'm not going to make $100-$200 an hour plowing rain.
Oh, well that explains it. You grew up in Minne. I was wondering as to why you were so persistent in defending Minne's winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City