Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has a worse winter?
Minneapolis 283 82.51%
Seattle 60 17.49%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 11:44 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
I'm not from Minnesota. I'm from NY and live in Maine.
My mistake, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 11:55 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep3 View Post
Back then people just didnt care or let others think what they think about the gripes with Seattle(northwest attitude). Now people gotta argue and justify every single thing about the city and if you dont like it youre not cool, whered all that come from?
because people who live in Minneapolis or the Midwest didn't argue about their weather. Someone explained to us about 10 times how you can build a snowman all winter, how you can snowmobile or play ice hockey every day and how you can drive a car in frigid weather. He didn't care what others think and didn't try to explain why they are "wrong".

Old 12-11-2014, 05:14 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,839 times
I'm posting some winter scenes from the Minneapolis area to show that people are only a hermit by choice. There are plenty of people out enjoying themselves. For some reason people out in this weather are always in a good mood. That's another thing I like about it. The weather keeps the miserable people and cat ladies inside most of the time.

Fieldoffice.co

This is a palace made of ice. Winter carnival goes until February.
rhythm and grooves | Music that moves the body and soul

Next three pics credit to Steve Date at Minnpost.com

Ice Luminary on Lake of the Isles - Digital Grin Photography Forum

Ice fishing event
Credit to Scott Olson of Getty Images North America

Last edited by joeyg2014; 12-11-2014 at 05:29 AM..

Old 12-11-2014, 08:04 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I'm not denying that.
I'm saying that your statement is irrelevant.

There are millions of people who have the means to leave, but choose not to because they enjoy living here, believe it or not.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:00 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep3 View Post
Seattle is the reason I found City Data, came here way back in 2009 back when I was obsessed with Seattle, never even been out of Ohio back then, but I knew about Seattle from Renton to Auburn, cause I met a cool friend online from there, Space Needle fan and all, lol way before Seattle was winning every poll(hell, Seattle was barely brought up back then) it was on and Hasslebeck/Qwest Field. But now I gotta say the posters that are now in Seattle are all either smartarses or douches, I mean you meet a few cool people but not like it used to be, and it makes me sad, it used to be my dream city and now it just seems to be losing its calm identity it used to have wit hall the new people going there, you can tell just comparing the posters from there now, and back in 09. Back then people just didnt care or let others think what they think about the gripes with Seattle(northwest attitude). Now people gotta argue and justify every single thing about the city and if you dont like it youre not cool, whered all that come from?

But on a serious note. If Minneapolis gets sunlight in the winter, well, much more than Seattle, this is very much debatable.
But tbh snow and sun is probably more preferable (and it seems more wintery/holiday spirit with snow) than gloom, rain and doom nearly every week. And dont tell me it doesnt bother anyone up there. Snow bothers people just like the gloom and doom in winter. Ive been checking the Seattle board since 09 and even natives manage to post how they are tired of the overcast from time to time, some even get those sunlight simulation lamps to cope. Just like people hate the soul freezing cold. Im from Cleveland, similar to Seattle in overcast AND we got snow, and now I live in hot humid southeast, I know most of it. Any weather situation is debatable.
Nobody was saying all people love the cold sunny days in Minneapolis, they were just saying it can be nicer than some are making it out to be, and even preferable to cold rain (now I have the song "November Rain" going through my head!).

I live in Cleveland now so I know what you mean, but can say that without the snow this winter so far really sucks. If it's going to be cold anyways please just snow so I can take the kids outside and play. This weather (gloomy, cold and damp) is not for me (MN also gets it, but it's not an entire season).

Old 12-11-2014, 05:03 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
The past week in the NY area has been gray, rainy, drizzly, gloomy, with temps in the 40s and some 50s. It's driving me nuts. I couldn't take a whole season of this.

I've never spent much time in subzero temps but I do like cold and snow. A 20-degree day with brilliant sunshine and fresh snow is as good as winter can get!

Old 12-11-2014, 05:33 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,393,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
The past week in the NY area has been gray, rainy, drizzly, gloomy, with temps in the 40s and some 50s. It's driving me nuts. I couldn't take a whole season of this.

I've never spent much time in subzero temps but I do like cold and snow. A 20-degree day with brilliant sunshine and fresh snow is as good as winter can get!
I heard on the Weather it's because of an El Nino this month but other sources say it's weakening and that it was never fully developed. I mean we just had one of the coldest Novembers on record and almost a foot more snow than average. A lot of inshore lobstermen are also saying their catches are down 2-3 weeks earlier than usual this year. Meanwhile the offshore guys I know are running out of space to store their catch. Lobsters move offshore for the winter. So if it's any sign from nature it might be another snowy one once this spell is over.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:23 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
3.5 million people live in the Twin Cities, and 5.5 million people live in Minnesota. If winters were truly as horrific as people from elsewhere claim that they are, then I don't know why millions of people are suffering needlessly just to live here.

In any case, I don't know how anyone can honestly say Seattle has "worse" winters; it's absolutely milder. I honestly don't think I'd mind months of grey if the sun peeked out at least a couple times a week.
Not true at all. You have
a.) people who can't move
b.) people who have never been anywhere else so they don't know there's better places
c.) people who refuse to move even if they want to because they don't want to move away from family
d.) people too scared to move (just go to the general moving forum and you'll find threads on this topic)

and I'm sure there are other reasons.

Hell, I'm from a ****hole of a podunk town in Mississippi, and my family thinks it's the greatest place and has no desire to leave. You know why? they've never been anywhere else. I have cousins who are in their 40's who have only been to Louisiana and Alabama. Makes me sad, but some people lack ambition and adventure. They waste their entire lives in one place doing what their parents did. But hey, it's their life.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:59 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Not true at all. You have
a.) people who can't move
b.) people who have never been anywhere else so they don't know there's better places
c.) people who refuse to move even if they want to because they don't want to move away from family
d.) people too scared to move (just go to the general moving forum and you'll find threads on this topic)

and I'm sure there are other reasons.

Hell, I'm from a ****hole of a podunk town in Mississippi, and my family thinks it's the greatest place and has no desire to leave. You know why? they've never been anywhere else. I have cousins who are in their 40's who have only been to Louisiana and Alabama. Makes me sad, but some people lack ambition and adventure. They waste their entire lives in one place doing what their parents did. But hey, it's their life.
We recently had a thread where people ranked the places they have lived:

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...d-quality.html

Everybody who has lived in Minneapolis and posted in that thread ranked it as the best place they have lived. We don't live here because we are stuck, or lack ambition, or are unfamiliar with the rest of the world. That is a ridiculous notion, this is a vibrant, dynamic city, not a backwater full of yokels. I'm not going to claim that Minneapolis winters are nice (and actually I voted for Seattle in the poll), but the city excels in every other category, which makes it worth putting up with the cold. Most people get used to it to a certain degree anyway.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 12-12-2014 at 01:17 AM..

Old 12-12-2014, 09:20 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,050,069 times
Both cities have notorious reputations in regards to weather. I've lived in both cities, and like the winters in both cities. I lake rain, I like snow--I'm not bothered by cold, I'm not bothered by cloudiness. The question of which of any two cites has better weather will always be a subjective one. I'm always amused by anyone who considers weather (of any kind) to be a fully-negating factor to a city's livability. Both of these cities have fantastic qualities which easily override any concerns about weather.

I've lived in many parts of the world, including larger cities, and I'm not tied-down to one place either economically of socially. I stay in Minneapolis because it's a city which is large enough to have world class cultural attractions, all four major sports, fantastic restaurants and shopping, an unparalleled system of parks and trails, and an intelligent and engaged citizenry--all without the attendant hassles (traffic, cost of living, etc.) of significantly larger cities. While I'm ambivalent towards the winter weather, a lot folks around here relish the opportunities to engage in the plethora of winter activities. They can play hockey in January, in the same lake they canoed in a few months prior. In February, they can see the frosted trees while x-country skiing, on the same trail where they saw the first blooms of spring while hiking.

A lot more people come here than leave here, so it would seem that those who actually spend any time here recognize that the area's pluses outweigh the mythological horrors of winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City