Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels like the larger MSA- Greater Atlanta or Greater Philadelphia?
Atlanta MSA 93 37.96%
Philly MSA 152 62.04%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 10:04 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

I think had the question read which metro feels the most expansive, Atlanta would be the clearer choice.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:15 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think had the question read which metro feels the most expansive, Atlanta would be the clearer choice.

Very fair point. The Philly region is clearly not as expansive, and that's factual.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:45 PM

929 posts, read 1,902,242 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo
I can't believe so many are voting for Philly. Are they doing it just in spite? Because Philly "feels" MUCH smaller than Atlanta outside of Center City and even downtown and midtown Atlanta give Center City Philly some good competition.

I know Philly is more dense and is much busier at the urban street level, but personally, I feel like Atlanta blows away Philly with this specific topic.

Once again, this topic is completely subjective to begin with. There is no right answer when it comes to how something "feels," because it's entirely qualitative and completely depends on individual experiences.

Hence, I think the overall answer for the OP is "it depends." The much more bustling, dense nature of Philly's urban core absolutely can allow it to feel much larger than a more decentralized city like Atlanta. But if we're talking about a moderately dense edge city outside of a traditional CBD -- which is much more common in the Atlanta area compared to Philly -- I can definitely see arguments for Atlanta.
I agree with you; the reason I created this thread is that everyone is going to take different stuff into account presenting their necessarily subjective opinion (since the question was necessarily subjective) on which feels like the bigger MSA. Some are going to lean towards Philly due to the CBD with ~100% greater employment, far more foot-traffic, etc. Others are going to lean towards Atlanta, since its "office park sprawl" seems to extend further and since there are more highrise clusters spread over a larger geographic footprint (creating the illusion of many mini CBDs)- though in reality not many people live in or in the immediate environs of those highrise clusters (at least not compared to a traditional CBD), but the mere fact that they're highrise clusters gives people the *impression* that they're pieces of urbanity. Also, still others may lean towards Atlanta due to its wider freeways; posts from the US-outside the Northeast- probably notice that freeways in the metropolitan areas surrounding their states' largest cities are almost always wider than those in the surrounding small towns, so they'll inherently associate wide freeways with "big city." (though cities in the Bos-Wash corridor DON'T have a plethora of especially wide freeways relative to their population sizes).

But in summary, I could see how different ppl's perceptions of massive (at the MSA level) could lead to different results, so that's why I thought this poll would be pretty interesting, as it would reveal which factors people tend to perceive as being associated with a "massive" metropolitan area.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:01 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
HAHA what? First, this is a subjective poll. There really isn't a right or wrong. Obviously the majority FEEL as if Philadelphia feels larger.

Second, Midtown and Downtown ATL give Center City Philly good competition? HAHA, no. Not even close. Center City has more jobs, residents, hotel rooms, restaurants, nightlife, shopping, etc. etc. than both Midtown and Downtown ATL combined.

BTW, Midtown and Downtown ATL are about the same size in square mileage as Center City alone. Throw in University City into the equation for Philadelphia and Philadelphia's core absolutely demolishes ATL in every single measurable and statistical metric.

Midtown and Downtown Atlanta: 2.38 square miles
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7704...tMx0D3TE?hl=en

Center City and University City Philadelphia: 3.81 square miles
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...U.kygLBzfP-a0s
You might want to check your hotel stats. If anyplace is 'demolishing' the other, it is Midtown & Downtown demolishing Center City is this category. There are thousands more hotel rooms here than in Center City. You must not be aware that this is a top five convention city, and has been for decades.

And your map of Midtown is way off. In reality it extends to the west of 75/85.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:55 AM

4,511 posts, read 4,041,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut;37672681Midtown and Downtown Atlanta: 2.38 square miles
[url
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7704663,-84.3880785,13z/data=!4m2!6m1!1szTtJyf0g_DXU.kvO4tMx0D3TE?hl=en[/url]

Center City and University City Philadelphia: 3.81 square miles
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...U.kygLBzfP-a0s
With this comparison atlanta looks like a small town compared to philadelphia. Amazing how much of philly people magically disregard so they can compare their city to it lol.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:43 PM

^That's because certain Philly posters ignore facts, manufacture mystery maps and are so obviously threatened by Atlanta they resort to simply making things up. Pretty sad, actually.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:58 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
^That's because certain Philly posters ignore facts, manufacture mystery maps and are so obviously threatened by Atlanta they resort to simply making things up. Pretty sad, actually.
Huh? Seems like he's arguing in Philly's favor...

Old 12-20-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Huh? Seems like he's arguing in Philly's favor...
I know. I was referring to the poster he quoted.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:50 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Manufacture mystery maps? Lol. I used a map of both Atlanta and Philadelphia from Google maps. What is mystery about that? Did you mean to say fantasy?

What facts am I ignoring? Philadelphia is much more built up and urban than Atlanta. I was extremely generous in what I included as a part of "Atlanta's Downtown" in that map. Most if it is extremely suburbanesk and low density sprawl. I could have included much more in the Philadelphia map that is denser and more built up than what is included in the Atlanta map. Center City and University City in Philadelphia is much more built up, urban and city like that Downtown and Midtown Atlanta. MT/DT ATL also have a 12 lane highway separating the two. Wow, really urban and walk-able! Center City and University City have a river separating the two with a park and highrises lining it.

Philadelphia has a much larger Downtown... in every single metric.

I mean, just look at the surrounding area of each cities current tallest building.

The Comcast Center in Philadelphia looks like it's in a thriving and vibrant major city:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ph...f514d88c3e58c1

The Bank of America Plaza in Atlanta looks like it was plopped down in a suburban Office Park
https://www.google.com/maps/place/At...fede2f990b630b

I did not make up anything.

The fact is that Philadelphia is better than Atlanta in almost every single measurable aspect. It is bigger and more populated, much denser, way more urban, way more walkable, more jobs, lower crime rates, better public transit, better nightlife, better shopping, better food, better attractions, parks, museums, theater, culture, etc. etc. the list goes on and on.

No body in Philly is threatened by the overgrown suburb of Atlanta. Trust me. Maybe Atlanta is good competition for Montgomery County, PA, but not the city of Philadelphia.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:09 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Manufacture mystery maps? Lol. I used a map of both Atlanta and Philadelphia from Google maps. What is mystery about that? Did you mean to say fantasy?

What facts am I ignoring? Philadelphia is much more built up and urban than Atlanta. I was extremely generous in what I included as a part of "Atlanta's Downtown" in that map. Most if it is extremely suburbanesk and low density sprawl. I could have included much more in the Philadelphia map that is denser and more built up than what is included in the Atlanta map. Center City and University City in Philadelphia is much more built up, urban and city like that Downtown and Midtown Atlanta. MT/DT ATL also have a 12 lane highway separating the two. Wow, really urban and walk-able! Center City and University City have a river separating the two with a park and highrises lining it.

Philadelphia has a much larger Downtown... in every single metric.

I mean, just look at the surrounding area of each cities current tallest building.

The Comcast Center in Philadelphia looks like it's in a thriving and vibrant major city:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ph...f514d88c3e58c1

The Bank of America Plaza in Atlanta looks like it was plopped down in a suburban Office Park
https://www.google.com/maps/place/At...fede2f990b630b

I did not make up anything.

The fact is that Philadelphia is better than Atlanta in almost every single measurable aspect. It is bigger and more populated, much denser, way more urban, way more walkable, more jobs, lower crime rates, better public transit, better nightlife, better shopping, better food, better attractions, parks, museums, theater, culture, etc. etc. the list goes on and on.

No body in Philly is threatened by the overgrown suburb of Atlanta. Trust me. Maybe Atlanta is good competition for Montgomery County, PA, but not the city of Philadelphia.
It seems like the Atlanta skyline looks pretty huge from a far way distance but up close it lacks that big city feel that you find in cities like Philly, New York, and Chicago. I think it's largely due to Atlanta not having a dense cluster of skyscraper buildings. It's too spread out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City