Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: lower cost of living
Omaha, Nebraska 1 5.00%
Nashville, Tennesee 5 25.00%
Louisville, Kentucky 1 5.00%
Indianapolis, Indiana 9 45.00%
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 2 10.00%
any other cities you have in mind 3 15.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 04:10 PM
xdl xdl started this thread

8 posts, read 32,529 times

Advertisements

Looking for the best city to relocate to with the best:
Shopping
Affordable cost of living
Better economy
Fun activities for families and adults
Best place to buy a home
Best place to raise a family
Low Crime
Sports
Cuisine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 05:13 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdl View Post
Shopping
Affordable cost of living
Better economy
Fun activities for families and adults
Best place to buy a home
Best place to raise a family
Low Crime
Sports
Cuisine
Minneapolis.

Mall of America - shopping is pretty good in almost every area you listed though
cost of living is good
good economy - unemployment is 3.9% right now (9/14 data)
family oriented
lots of areas to choose homes from that aren't all cookie cutter
low crime
has pro baseball, hockey and basketball
well known for good culture and food (although not to the super foodie level)

The only negative to Minneapolis is the weather (but you didn't mention weather)

------------------

Orlando is really family oriented, but has a pretty high crime rate and pretty high home prices relative to salaries (I lived in Orlando 5 years up until this past April)

Indianapolis' economy isn't great, but it isn't awful either - and is also fairly high crime, but not as high as Atlanta or Houston. Indy is very family and sports oriented, and home costs are about the cheapest in a metro area that you'll find

Atlanta is a little higher cost of living and higher crime outside of suburbia, and the commutes suck there. They have sports as well, but unless you're southern and really want a southern city, I wouldn't recommend it.

Nashville is nice, but I wouldn't call them a thriving economy, and only has football and hockey for pro sports. Good culture and food there as well though. Not sure about crime levels.

Houston is the one I know the least about, so I'm gonna pass on judging them further.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:14 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Oh gawd. Now I remember why I keep trying to quit the city data.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:33 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times
It must be tough being an Indy expert. Any comedian could get some great material in this forum.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
It must be tough being an Indy expert.
Thanks for the support.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:15 PM

5 posts, read 9,309 times
My vote would be for Minneapolis purely for the school system. Nashville for the nuanced city that Indy and a few others don't have on this list... Nashville is pretty timeless- it doesn't need a sports team-of-the-month to give the city character. Indy price point I think is better than average and I *like* Indianapolis, but don't love it. It feels like there is no personality here or no authentic vibe other than next up-and-coming-area or stadium... Orlando is nice but crime in a lot of areas- even nicer areas (I haven't lived in Orlando so I am making assumptions off of speculation) ATLANTA!!!!!! I love Atlanta--to visit! To live? I have heard very dramatic goods and bads but the bads scare me... the areas I would want to live don't appear to be very diverse either (a turnoff) so that is a no for me.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom29 View Post
Nashville is pretty timeless- it doesn't need a sports team-of-the-month to give the city character.
Seriously?

Nashville loses its mind over the Titans when they are winning; and many have said it was the arrival of the Titans that showed Nashville had arrived.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:50 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Minneapolis.

The only negative to Minneapolis is the weather (but you didn't mention weather)
Minneapolis is far and away the most expensive of the the cities listed. You money doesn't go all that far when buying a home and almost any good sized new build is going to be <$300,000 if it's in a remotely nice area. Even when you get a ways out of the Twin cities, it's still expensive. Twin cities are great but, you can keep the home prices.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:19 PM

145 posts, read 274,186 times

SHOPPING: Minneapolis; lots of unique local places, practically every national chain in/around the Mall of America. Houston and Atlanta both have world class shopping.

AFFORDABILITY/LIVING COST: Absolute affordability would be Indianapolis, but the best bang for your buck would be Houston.

BETTER ECONOMY: Atlanta has the most rounded economy of those places, being the state capital, an entertainment industry hub, a major financial center, and a popular tourist destination with a booming construction industry.

FAMILY/ADULT ACTIVITIES:
Depends on your interests. Orlando has lots of amenities that are family-centric, but not very affordable for locals to use regularly. Its near some amazing beaches, though.

Minneapolis has a lot of and outdoor activities and an eclectic mix of others. Extreme winters make some of those activites unbearable part of the year.

Atlanta has lots of cultural attractions and world class museums.

Houston has one of the best theater scenes in the world and a decent art scene.

Nashville has one of the biggest music scenes in the world.

BEST PLACE FOR A FAMILY:
Depends. Minneapolis has the best public schools and free preschools. Nashville, Indianapolis, Houston, and Atlanta have dismal public schools. No idea about Orlandos schools.

LOW CRIME:
Minneapolis -- its considered to be one of the safest large cities in America, but all cities have crime.

SPORTS: Houston, Minneapolis, Atlanta and Indianapolis all have comparably sized sports franchises.

CUISINE: Atlanta probably has the most diverse. Orlando and Indianapolis are both lacking.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:05 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolentDisasters View Post

SHOPPING: Minneapolis; lots of unique local places, practically every national chain in/around the Mall of America. Houston and Atlanta both have world class shopping.

AFFORDABILITY/LIVING COST: Absolute affordability would be Indianapolis, but the best bang for your buck would be Houston.

BETTER ECONOMY: Atlanta has the most rounded economy of those places, being the state capital, an entertainment industry hub, a major financial center, and a popular tourist destination with a booming construction industry.

FAMILY/ADULT ACTIVITIES:
Depends on your interests. Orlando has lots of amenities that are family-centric, but not very affordable for locals to use regularly. Its near some amazing beaches, though.

Minneapolis has a lot of and outdoor activities and an eclectic mix of others. Extreme winters make some of those activites unbearable part of the year.

Atlanta has lots of cultural attractions and world class museums.

Houston has one of the best theater scenes in the world and a decent art scene.

Nashville has one of the biggest music scenes in the world.

BEST PLACE FOR A FAMILY:
Depends. Minneapolis has the best public schools and free preschools. Nashville, Indianapolis, Houston, and Atlanta have dismal public schools. No idea about Orlandos schools.

LOW CRIME:
Minneapolis -- its considered to be one of the safest large cities in America, but all cities have crime.

SPORTS: Houston, Minneapolis, Atlanta and Indianapolis all have comparably sized sports franchises.

CUISINE: Atlanta probably has the most diverse. Orlando and Indianapolis are both lacking.
You don't seem very educated about Orlando to be talking about what it lacks and it sounds like you pretty much vouching for Minneapolis which is not most welcoming place I heard and its not very diverse compared to other cities on the list so that would be a con for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City