Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 04:44 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I am pretty sure everyone knows that, I was just updating my post from earlier in this thread. Especially since this page was speaking about cities with low murder rates, which both have.
Would everyone know that, I dunno that is an assumption.. The city pop comparison is almost akin to saying Guelph population 115K has less murder than Boston population 650K lol - well like no fooling. Its better to use per cap murder rates anyway.. If those are used Toronto would probably have the lowest rate of any major city in N.A. Is it a big deal - no but probably just a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 04:44 PM

213 posts, read 278,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Boston is so safe, I walked through their worst hoods at 2 in the morn and never got robbed or anything happen to me, its a overall super safe city. Boston is extremely safe but they are pricing out the poor and criminal element.
That's part of why I love Boston and why it reminds me more of a European city than any other American city.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:46 PM

3,865 posts, read 5,290,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhenma View Post
So Seattle has more murders than Boston as of today (20).
Seattle is a very safe large city as well. I am sure if you extend the statistics to Seattle's metro area the rate drops further.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:48 PM

6,730 posts, read 6,727,597 times
Quote:
Boston is so safe, I walked through their worst hoods at 2 in the morn
easy there, not sure I want to be hanging out in Roxbury or much of Dorchester at 2 am

Old 08-25-2015, 04:50 PM

6,730 posts, read 6,727,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Bloodymore, Murderland is right...holy mother....
that's why they call it Harm City

and it's not like it's some bad areas, entire city except for a small part near Johns Hopkins and a few blocks downtown is a run down, dangerous mess

Old 08-25-2015, 04:51 PM

213 posts, read 278,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Seattle is a very safe large city as well. I am sure if you extend the statistics to Seattle's metro area the rate drops further.
Actually, the worst parts of the metro are not in Seattle proper but in the adjacent South suburbs and Pierce County (including Tacoma).

Interestingly, if you look at violent crime overall - including murder, assault, robbery, and rape - both Seattle and Boston fall out of the "safest cities" tier. They're still relatively safe, but not to the same extent as San Diego, El Paso, San Jose, and several others for violent crimes overall.

Obviously, murder is by far the worst crime (not even close) so I understand the focus on it, but other violent crimes do exist too.

Quote:
Boston is so safe, I walked through their worst hoods at 2 in the morn and never got robbed or anything happen to me, its a overall super safe city. Boston is extremely safe but they are pricing out the poor and criminal element.
I agree that it is very safe, but it does have a few bad spots that I personally would not want to live in, even though I spend alot of time in those areas recreationally. The murder and shooting victims are disproportionately black and latino as well, which is a problem we have to address.

But I agree, I feel very safe here.

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
easy there, not sure I want to be hanging out in Roxbury or much of Dorchester at 2 am
Its not bad at all, I used to tutor kids all the time in Roxbury and Dorchester and Mattapan and never had anything bad happen to me, if you go to the hood to cause trouble or act like an idiot you will be beat up, most people in those neighborhoods were super nice to me when I went to BU.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhenma View Post
Actually, the worst parts of the metro are not in Seattle proper but in the adjacent South suburbs and Pierce County (including Tacoma).

Interestingly, if you look at violent crime overall - including murder, assault, robbery, and rape - both Seattle and Boston fall out of the "safest cities" tier. They're still relatively safe, but not to the same extent as San Diego, El Paso, San Jose, and several others for violent crimes overall.

That is very interesting and I did not know, thanks for correcting me. It is the opposite for Boston. The worst areas are in Boston Proper and if you extended it to metro the rate would fall even further. Especially if you included areas that are part of the urban fabric like Cambridge, Somerville, Brookline, Revere, etc...The only place that would tack on any numbers is Chelsea which most likely has had at least a couple murders this year.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Would everyone know that, I dunno that is an assumption.. The city pop comparison is almost akin to saying Guelph population 115K has less murder than Boston population 650K lol - well like no fooling. Its better to use per cap murder rates anyway.. If those are used Toronto would probably have the lowest rate of any major city in N.A. Is it a big deal - no but probably just a fact.
Dude, just read through this thread. We are updating numbers for cities and discussing them. When people list them for NYC they dont follow up with a population discussion. That is fine if you want to do that, but I wasnt comparing the two cities, I was simply updating my original post from this thread. Chill man. lol

The only reaction I thought people would have is: Wow a city of Toronto's size has only 35 murders??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City