Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best nightlife district/neighborhood on the West Coast
Capitol Hill (Seattle) 43 26.38%
Ballard (Seattle) 13 7.98%
Pearl District/Old Town (Portland) 5 3.07%
Inner Southeast (Portland) 2 1.23%
Mission District (San Francisco) 29 17.79%
North Beach (San Francisco) 15 9.20%
West Hollywood/Hollywood (Los Angeles) 82 50.31%
Downtown LA (Los Angeles) 15 9.20%
Gaslamp District (San Diego) 28 17.18%
North Park (San Diego) 5 3.07%
Other (Please list) 9 5.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 09:15 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,841 times

Advertisements

Sunset Strip is good. I always liked Pacific Beach... Malibu is pretty good, but it's an kind of an odd mix of well to do snobs with wannabies with a few actual heavies on their nights out with friends. Venice is good. Newport Beach is good. La Jolla should be good but it ain't good. Same with Dana Point. Btw, the best night life evaar in San Diego was always at SDSU (as UCSD was bone dry and cliquey) as far as i'm concerned because military dick heads were the least likely to be around... and it was like a cross between the Playboy Mansion and a college party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 05:20 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
How come Santa Monica/Venice/Westside of LA isn't listed?

Personally I think the Hollywood/West Hollywood scene is pretty overrated.
Because imo they're not the best at all. And where in West LA is there an area that rivals Hollywood or West Hollywood? West LA is boring when it comes to nightlife. Frankly I think Hollywood is underrated.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
I've spent some time in Boston. Seattle's nightlife is significantly better.

Anyways, Hollywood should not be winning this poll. It is winning because of name recognition and majority of people on this site are LA tourists. Hollywood nightlife is grimy and ratchet.

Really this poll should be between Capitol Hill and Gaslamp.
Cap Hill's vibe is super Seattle... and Gaslamp is sweet because of how much outdoor seating there is.
Anyways... I'd choose Cap Hill but it's close.
How on earth is Hollywood rachet? To me it's the oldest, the biggest and offers the widest variety of nightlife options. I lived in the Pike/Pine corridor of Capitol Hill and its fun but the best?

Old 06-18-2016, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Cap Hill's nightlife attracts all types of people instead of an eclectic class of people. I don't view that as a bad thing. By the way, Cap Hill's nightlife is STILL packed with the hipsters and the LGBT community that so many silly journalists are trying to cry about. Journalists are just trying to draw attention to their struggling news organizations...
But if you look at how Capitol Hill was before you will definitely see why the journalist are writing. The nightlife has changed dramatically. Not saying it's a bad thing, but of all the areas on the list it has changed the most.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:23 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,470,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
lol
lolx2

Old 06-18-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Because imo they're not the best at all. And where in West LA is there an area that rivals Hollywood or West Hollywood? West LA is boring when it comes to nightlife. Frankly I think Hollywood is underrated.
I really don't like going out to west hollywood at all. 1. You can't hear the person who you are with speaking 2. It's full of pretentious people 3. Don't like the hook-up culture that can be found in many of the clubs and 4. All the clubs basically play the same music.
Santa Monica is alright, there aren't that many bars/clubs in downtown samo and the ones that are there are very expensive. I personally think that downtown LA is so underrated in this regard. Downtown has great clubs, great laid back bars, rooftop bars, ect.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:09 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,889,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I really don't like going out to west hollywood at all. 1. You can't hear the person who you are with speaking 2. It's full of pretentious people 3. Don't like the hook-up culture that can be found in many of the clubs and 4. All the clubs basically play the same music.
Santa Monica is alright, there aren't that many bars/clubs in downtown samo and the ones that are there are very expensive. I personally think that downtown LA is so underrated in this regard. Downtown has great clubs, great laid back bars, rooftop bars, ect.

We just got back from a weekend in downtown L.A. last week and had a great time. We took the train and walked to The Broad museum and then to our hotel (Sheraton) and took the metro and bus to LACMA and MOCA and back the next day. During the nights we explored all over, hit the Ace Hotel rooftop, Library Bar, District, Back Door, Faith & Flower, The Biltmore among a few others. We had an awesome time. It was very fun to get all over downtown and never once did we enter a car!

It was a great mix of art and alcohol haha.

I will say that at least for downtown LA it doesn't seem to have as much as a concentrated entertainment district other than Live L.A. It is at once WAY more going off than San Diego, the venues all have a much more interesting mix of people when you find a place, but you kinda have to know where you are going. There just aren't happening bar/restaurant after bar for blocks. You have to have a local's direction and a bit of info to be able to take it all in. And of course as a non-local I have much yet to learn and explore about the city. There are still blocks of seemingly dead, delapitated, homeless strewn areas, and then you stumble into one of the coolest places you've ever been in.

We always have a great time up there, with knowledge and Uber I can only imagine we will yet be able to experience so much more.

Last edited by T. Damon; 06-19-2016 at 01:18 AM..

Old 06-19-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
We just got back from a weekend in downtown L.A. last week and had a great time. We took the train and walked to The Broad museum and then to our hotel (Sheraton) and took the metro and bus to LACMA and MOCA and back the next day. During the nights we explored all over, hit the Ace Hotel rooftop, Library Bar, District, Back Door, Faith & Flower, The Biltmore among a few others. We had an awesome time. It was very fun to get all over downtown and never once did we enter a car!

It was a great mix of art and alcohol haha.

I will say that at least for downtown LA it doesn't seem to have as much as a concentrated entertainment district other than Live L.A. It is at once WAY more going off than San Diego, the venues all have a much more interesting mix of people when you find a place, but you kinda have to know where you are going. There just aren't happening bar/restaurant after bar for blocks. You have to have a local's direction and a bit of info to be able to take it all in. And of course as a non-local I have much yet to learn and explore about the city. There are still blocks of seemingly dead, delapitated, homeless strewn areas, and then you stumble into one of the coolest places you've ever been in.

We always have a great time up there, with knowledge and Uber I can only imagine we will yet be able to experience so much more.
haha wow that actually sounds like a great weekend, Bravo. You explored some of the best bars and museums in the city.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:24 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
correct on both points.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:26 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
WeHo/Hollywood is actually way better than most people think. It has a huge variety of nightlife options. Many of the clubs stay open past 2am. It is a walkable area. The nightclubs in Hollywood are run by some of the same people that run Vegas. LA gets a lot more live music of every genre because, well, duh...it's in LA.

As for West LA. Main Street Santa Monica can be really fun. Main on Main. Circle. The Basement at the Victorian. Barcopa closed and I haven't been back to LA since, but I hope it's turned into another fun bar because it was awesome. Then there are quite a few casual bars lining the street also.

If we can combine neighborhoods, I will always throw in Manhattan and Hermosa Beach.

DTLA you definitely need to know where you're going. Once you know, it's one of the hidden gems of nightlife for the entire country IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City