Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best nightlife district/neighborhood on the West Coast
Capitol Hill (Seattle) 43 26.38%
Ballard (Seattle) 13 7.98%
Pearl District/Old Town (Portland) 5 3.07%
Inner Southeast (Portland) 2 1.23%
Mission District (San Francisco) 29 17.79%
North Beach (San Francisco) 15 9.20%
West Hollywood/Hollywood (Los Angeles) 82 50.31%
Downtown LA (Los Angeles) 15 9.20%
Gaslamp District (San Diego) 28 17.18%
North Park (San Diego) 5 3.07%
Other (Please list) 9 5.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 11:39 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Yes it would likely be considered one of the more "hipster" neighborhoods of Seattle.
It has a lot of dive bars, but at this point in time, it has just about everything (night clubs, lounges, upscale bars, restaurants, etc.)
I'd say the Mission and Capitol Hill are toe-to-toe when it comes to nightlife. But LA has the best nightlife on the West Coast overall, in my opinion. Gaslamp can be a blast too but it's a little more one-dimensional than some of these other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 12:59 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
West coast nightlife is generally one dimensional other than LAs. So LA by default.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:02 PM

398 posts, read 381,737 times
Gaslamp, by far. But quite frankly, nightlife on the West Coast is notoriously awful. 2 AM closing time and dreadful gender ratios. SOURCE: me (I’ve lived on the east coast, the middle of the country, and the west coast).

Last edited by Codederick; 02-16-2018 at 01:22 PM..

Old 02-20-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
Gaslamp, by far. But quite frankly, nightlife on the West Coast is notoriously awful. 2 AM closing time and dreadful gender ratios. SOURCE: me (I’ve lived on the east coast, the middle of the country, and the west coast).
I don't put too much stock in that gender ratio as a measure of nightlife because it's so broad and doesn't really tell you much about who is going to bars/clubs. Also, married people enjoy nightlife as well so it's not like it's always about hooking up.

The main downfall of West Coast nightlife is that no state serves alcohol after 2:30am, although that may change with a new proposal for major cities in California. Also worth noting that, aside from NYC and DC on the weekends, 2am is the last call for all other cities in the Northeast.

Basically, what I'm saying is nightlife on the West Coast is far from awful. SF, Seattle, LA, Portland, and SD all have good, robust bar scenes and top notch beer and cocktail culture, and LA has a world class club scene - and as the OP said there's a certain quirky flavor to the nightlife on the West Coast you can't get elsewhere in the country. (Keep in mind, I'm only talking about CA, OR, and WA here - so Vegas doesn't even factor in).

Old 02-20-2018, 05:40 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
I don't put too much stock in that gender ratio as a measure of nightlife because it's so broad and doesn't really tell you much about who is going to bars/clubs. Also, married people enjoy nightlife as well so it's not like it's always about hooking up.

The main downfall of West Coast nightlife is that no state serves alcohol after 2:30am, although that may change with a new proposal for major cities in California. Also worth noting that, aside from NYC and DC on the weekends, 2am is the last call for all other cities in the Northeast.

Basically, what I'm saying is nightlife on the West Coast is far from awful. SF, Seattle, LA, Portland, and SD all have good, robust bar scenes and top notch beer and cocktail culture, and LA has a world class club scene - and as the OP said there's a certain quirky flavor to the nightlife on the West Coast you can't get elsewhere in the country. (Keep in mind, I'm only talking about CA, OR, and WA here - so Vegas doesn't even factor in).
You’re missing a few parts of the Northeast: in NY State, Saratoga Springs, Buffalo, Albany, Long Island, and Lower Hudson Valley also have 4am last call. There may be more, but I’m not 100% sure.

NJ has Hoboken with a surprisingly really good bar scene and a 3am last call. And Atlantic City with no last call.

Philly has “after hours” clubs open until 3:30(?) I believe but someone correct me if I’m wrong. I don’t consider 3am a true afters, but this is so much better than the typical 2am.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:43 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
You’re missing a few parts of the Northeast: in NY State, Saratoga Springs, Buffalo, Albany, Long Island, and Lower Hudson Valley also have 4am last call. There may be more, but I’m not 100% sure.

NJ has Hoboken with a surprisingly really good bar scene and a 3am last call. And Atlantic City with no last call.

Philly has “after hours” clubs open until 3:30(?) I believe but someone correct me if I’m wrong. I don’t consider 3am a true afters, but this is so much better than the typical 2am.

Ulster County is 4AM too

Old 02-20-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post

Every major 2am city has “after hours” clubs. We’re talking about what’s legal - and in Philly, Boston, DC, Baltimore and most Northeast cities it’s 2am. Good reminder about the other parts of NY State, although those places have nightlife that’s lacking in my other aspects.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:21 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Every major 2am city has “after hours” clubs. We’re talking about what’s legal - and in Philly, Boston, DC, Baltimore and most Northeast cities it’s 2am. Good reminder about the other parts of NY State, although those places have nightlife that’s lacking in my other aspects.
Philly's after hour clubs are legal. Most nightlife in Philly ends at 2/230, but there are some places that have licenses to stay open till 330. Jersey City has places open till 3am on weekends. Hoboken is 3am. DC is 3/30 isn't it?

Old 02-21-2018, 07:54 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Ulster County is 4AM too
I know there’s also many counties with 3am closing times too. There’s probably some more 4am counties on top of this. I just don’t feel like checking every single one.

Quote:
Notice how I put Philly “after hours” in quotes, and noted that they aren’t true after hours. It’s a license that some bars/clubs have in Philly to stay open and continue serving legally until 3am. A true after hours imo starts around that time. That’s just what they call the places in Philly that are allowed to stay open later.

About NY: what exactly are they missing? I’m just curious. I’ve honestly never even been to much of those places. Outside of NYC, I’ve only gone out in parts of HV where I went to college, and Long Island in the summer. I’ve heard good things about Buffalo, but I’ve never been.

It’s also worth noting that NY State doesn’t have a Statewide last call — it’s up to each individual county. So not only have I inevitably missed a bunch (counties out East tend to be much smaller than out West, so we have a lot), butearlier when I named cities, it also includes the rest of their counties as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Philly's after hour clubs are legal. Most nightlife in Philly ends at 2/230, but there are some places that have licenses to stay open till 330. Jersey City has places open till 3am on weekends. Hoboken is 3am. DC is 3/30 isn't it?
And don’t forget Atlantic City with no last call. DC is only 3am on weekends, 2am during the week.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
They have a license to serve liquor until 3:30 in Philly? If so, I stand corrected.

But I still don’t think West Coast nightlife is awful by any stretch. Aside from the 2/230 laws I think it has a handful of fun nightlife cities with a diverse array of options. Anchorage Alaska allows alcohol until 5am but no one would claim it has particularly good nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City