Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best nightlife district/neighborhood on the West Coast
Capitol Hill (Seattle) 43 26.38%
Ballard (Seattle) 13 7.98%
Pearl District/Old Town (Portland) 5 3.07%
Inner Southeast (Portland) 2 1.23%
Mission District (San Francisco) 29 17.79%
North Beach (San Francisco) 15 9.20%
West Hollywood/Hollywood (Los Angeles) 82 50.31%
Downtown LA (Los Angeles) 15 9.20%
Gaslamp District (San Diego) 28 17.18%
North Park (San Diego) 5 3.07%
Other (Please list) 9 5.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 09:55 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
They have a license to serve liquor until 3:30 in Philly? If so, I stand corrected.

But I still don’t think West Coast nightlife is awful by any stretch. Aside from the 2/230 laws I think it has a handful of fun nightlife cities with a diverse array of options. Anchorage Alaska allows alcohol until 5am but no one would claim it has particularly good nightlife.
Yes, some places in Philly have licenses to continue serving until 3. I think it’s a pretty new thing, but I’m not sure exactly how new it is.

And about Anchorage: that’s really interesting. I’ve never been to Alaska, but I would think that it would just be lacking in... people.... just in general. Honestly, the thought of partying until 5am in Alaska actually sounds really fun to me. Now that I think about it, I wouldn’t be surprised if people partied hard in Alaska. I want to hear opinions about their nightlife scene if anyone on here has ever been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 09:56 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
They have a license to serve liquor until 3:30 in Philly? If so, I stand corrected.

But I still don’t think West Coast nightlife is awful by any stretch. Aside from the 2/230 laws I think it has a handful of fun nightlife cities with a diverse array of options. Anchorage Alaska allows alcohol until 5am but no one would claim it has particularly good nightlife.
I remember last call as 3 am, but the establishment itself staying open past that of course. Philadelphia has surprisingly great and weird nightlife. I would put its nightlife above any West Coast city’s.

LA’s nightlife has gotten better in some ways over the years especially with rideshare services. I also remember feeling like Portland had pretty good nightlife for a fairly small city. The Bay Area, Seattle, and San Diego were fine enough—it’s not like there’s no nightlife, but I’d definitely say it’s not at all a strong suit for these cities.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:22 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
West Coast nightlife is not BAD, but the east coast is definitely better...even the midwest could be considered better in many aspects. Major cities on the east with later nightlife than anything on the west coast are NYC (4am), Philly (staggered but some are open till and even past 3am), DC (3am on weekends and 4am NYE), Miami Beach (5am), Atlanta (3am), Tampa (3am), Miami has an area of 24/7 but others are 5am, Broward County (4am), Chicago (some 4am), Louisville (4am), Indiana the whole state (3am), NoLa and Louisiana at a whole I believe (24/7), Atlantic City (24/7), Hoboken and Jersey City (3am), Buffalo and Albany (4am), Ohio has some till 2:30 which isn't super special but still after 2am, Tennessee (3am). Some of these may be wrong, but it still shows how the East Coast, Midwest, and South all have later nightlife than the West Coast.

LA is definitely the winner on the west coast aside from Vegas though. While 2am is last call, several establishments can stay open well past until 3 or 4 or even 6am (specifically Exchange LA in DTLA).

Old 02-22-2018, 01:30 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
West Coast nightlife is not BAD, but the east coast is definitely better...even the midwest could be considered better in many aspects. Major cities on the east with later nightlife than anything on the west coast are NYC (4am), Philly (staggered but some are open till and even past 3am), DC (3am on weekends and 4am NYE), Miami Beach (5am), Atlanta (3am), Tampa (3am), Miami has an area of 24/7 but others are 5am, Broward County (4am), Chicago (some 4am), Louisville (4am), Indiana the whole state (3am), NoLa and Louisiana at a whole I believe (24/7), Atlantic City (24/7), Hoboken and Jersey City (3am), Buffalo and Albany (4am), Ohio has some till 2:30 which isn't super special but still after 2am, Tennessee (3am). Some of these may be wrong, but it still shows how the East Coast, Midwest, and South all have later nightlife than the West Coast.

LA is definitely the winner on the west coast aside from Vegas though. While 2am is last call, several establishments can stay open well past until 3 or 4 or even 6am (specifically Exchange LA in DTLA).
Portland/Oregon is the latest on the West Coast at 2:30 (Vancouver is 3am but obviously is not in the US). The point, though, is that there is a lot more to judge nightlife by than when last call is. Most of the large West Coast cities have pretty solid quantity, quality, and variety when it comes to nightlife (in fact, SF and Portland are two of the most bar-dense cities in the country), with distinct vibes and cultures that can't be found elsewhere.

The West Coast is clearly not the best region for nightlife, but my point was it's far from awful, as implied by a poster earlier.

Old 11-07-2021, 01:36 AM

141 posts, read 90,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
I agree with this post. Capitol Hill is my favorite single neighborhood on the west coast, with Gaslamp second.
But SF has the best overall nightlife.
I agree with this. Although Seattle does have quite a few other fun nightlife districts as well.

Old 11-07-2021, 07:20 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
I would go with LA, especially for variety…..Gaslamp can be good for those up to their early 30’s though it can attract a douchey crowd which many locals avoid for that reason. (“Daylife” partying at one of the beach cities might actually be better). Some on the West Coast get off on nightlife focused on craft beer bars (which we have on the East Coast), but I need more than just that. Been awhile since I partied in SF—cool drinking bars and a few clubs though not the most attractive female populace. Pearl District is fine, but more from a dining experience; Portland does have a good strip club scene but not something an average person does on a regular basis.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-07-2021 at 07:42 AM..

Old 11-07-2021, 01:38 PM

117 posts, read 80,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I would go with LA, especially for variety…..Gaslamp can be good for those up to their early 30’s though it can attract a douchey crowd which many locals avoid for that reason. (“Daylife” partying at one of the beach cities might actually be better). Some on the West Coast get off on nightlife focused on craft beer bars (which we have on the East Coast), but I need more than just that. Been awhile since I partied in SF—cool drinking bars and a few clubs though not the most attractive female populace. Pearl District is fine, but more from a dining experience; Portland does have a good strip club scene but not something an average person does on a regular basis.
I think Capitol Hill in Seattle is better than Gaslamp.

Old 11-07-2021, 02:51 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,987,814 times
The Pearl is kind of a weird choice for Portland. That's like saying Belltown is one of Seattle's top two nightlife areas --- they're mostly residential with a mix of offices, high-end shopping, and bars/restaurants/cafes. Maybe in the '80s and '90s these areas were hot. I'd name Alberta, Hawthorne, MLK, or Broadway/Weidler (around the Lloyd Center) before the Pearl.

Old 11-07-2021, 02:58 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,540,013 times
I’m least familiar with Seattle which is why I didn’t mention it….Gaslamp didn’t really appeal to me (even though I was a 7 minute walk from it) as it was a lot of conventioneers and not enough local professionals. It did have a couple of clubs and rooftop bars but I did my partying elsewhere after my first few years living there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEggHead View Post
I think Capitol Hill in Seattle is better than Gaslamp.

Old 11-07-2021, 03:49 PM

765 posts, read 897,974 times
I'd go with Capitol Hill. It's really exciting. A new emerging nightlife District in Seattle is SODO with clubs like Supernova, Monkey Loft, Aston Manor, Club Sur, Showbox, and a new one opening 'The Comeback'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City