Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 11:27 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,563,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
From what I've heard, Maryland is extremely preppy. I think I've heard the same for Connecticut, too.
Depends on where you go. The D.C. suburbs are a mixed bag its a mix of preppy, ghetto, working class, middle class, and the then some. Montgomery county is very preppy around Bethesda, Potomac, Chevy Chase, Rockville, Olney, Kensington, and perhaps parts of Silver Spring. But there are also parts that are average joe laid back
PG county has preppy people too but on a smaller scale and most of them are black people with $$$ living in Bowie, Upper Marlboro, Mitchellville, and Fort Washington. Baltimore and it's suburbs aren't preppy AT ALL except Towson and wealthier parts of Baltimore city like Federal Hill, Canton, North Baltimore, Otterbein, and Mt. Vernon. Western MD and the Eastern Shore are pretty country wouldn't really call it preppy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 11:32 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,563,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthafacts202 View Post
DC more preppy than SF and Seattle??? yeah right.... you've obviously never been to DC before.
The transplant population and most white people in D.C. are very preppy. The native population, most of whom are black aren't exactly preppy, although they do exist. In D.C. it's preppy vs ghetto, about 50/50. No.other city is like that and in D.C. there an aire of southern hue that's reinforced by the fact D.C. is the nations capital and there are unwritten rules here that don't exist anywhere else.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:09 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,160 times
Raleigh is extremely preppy if y'all have visited.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:23 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
The transplant population and most white people in D.C. are very preppy. The native population, most of whom are black aren't exactly preppy, although they do exist. In D.C. it's preppy vs ghetto, about 50/50. No.other city is like that and in D.C. there an aire of southern hue that's reinforced by the fact D.C. is the nations capital and there are unwritten rules here that don't exist anywhere else.

This is why Atlanta and DC have some "people" similarities in my opinion. Similar dynamic.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:18 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,120,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Any Ivy league college town in say Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut.
there are no ivy league schools in Vermont.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:24 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Coming from Boston and chilling in DC I always feel trashy compared to them. Its pretty stiff and ruled out down there.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:44 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Any Ivy league college town in say Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut.
*New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island

I've honestly never associated prep with anything other than the Northeast. It really began as an Ivy League thing. "Southern prep" and "California prep"… weird to me.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:36 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,266,758 times
Most all of New England particularly CT and MA down to Westchester Co in NY extending into the old Mainline section of Philadelphia and a few spots NJ. You have to have access to horses and/or boats, better if both. Antiques and grand old houses are important too. Old Southern cities like Annapolis, Charleston, and Savannah, and horse country Virginia. I didn't notice much of it out West when I lived there though I know for a fact individuals with that upbringing can be found most anywhere. It's more than a style of dress.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 04-05-2015 at 11:46 PM..

Old 04-06-2015, 01:27 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,266,758 times
Forgot to add sections of upper NY around the 1000 Islands, Finger Lakes and coastal Lake Ontario as well as summer residents of the Adirondacks. More common in English ancestry locales.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:59 PM

12,825 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
What are the unwritten rules?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City