Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:36 AM

144 posts, read 270,946 times

Advertisements

Theoretically speaking, I see about 5 MLB teams (ranked most to least likely) that could potentially be faced with relocation scenarios over the next decade or so, due to the various outlined reasons below:

Oakland Athletics - low attendance, old stadium, few viable stadium alternatives, Giants control over Bay Area market rights to San Jose

Tampa Bay Rays - low attendance, aging/uninteresting stadium, low TV revenues

Cleveland Indians -low attendance, aging stadium, direct market size shrinking

Baltimore Orioles - low attendance, increased market competition from Nationals, aging stadium, smallish market

Chicago White Sox (note: I'm a White Sox fan, and even I'll acknowledge these potential shortcomings) - low attendance, potential team sale, stadium lease to set to expire in 10-15 years, little local interest for large-scale tax financing for major sports venues, projected increases in revenues for crosstown Cubs

Say 1-2 of these teams actually do end up relocating over the next 10-15 years. Who do you think leaves, and where do you think they end up? You could probably make the argument that MLB demands more from its market in terms of sustained support than any other major professional team sport. Which cities/metros do you think are ready for MLB? Portland, Charlotte, Northern New Jersey, Tidewater/Hampton Roads, San Antonio and Louisville seem to be some of the recurring favorites that I hear mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 08:54 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Bring the Athletics back to Philly!!

Seriously though, I can't imagine the Orioles, Indians or White Sox going anywhere-it would be a travesty if they did.

I would love to see a baseball team back in Montreal or one in New Orleans. San Juan, PR also really needs a team IMO.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:57 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Bring the Athletics back to Philly!!

Seriously though, I can't imagine the Orioles, Indians or White Sox going anywhere-it would be a travesty if they did.

I would love to see a baseball team back in Montreal or one in New Orleans. San Juan, PR also really needs a team IMO.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:59 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,998 times
Baseball is different than the other major sports leagues because they play a 162-game season as opposed to 82 or 16, so many cities that are home to some combination of NFL, NHL and NBA may not necessarily be good homes for an MLB team. There are very few viable markets out there that don't already have a franchise, and many that do struggle year after year (Pirates, Royals, Indians - three of the smallest markets to boot).

Portland is probably the one market that can best support a baseball team. It's still not that large (about 2 million) and being fairly close to Seattle, many of them are Mariners fans anyway.

Charlotte is exploding, but probably a good 10-15 years away from being a true frontrunner (wait for it to hit 2 million). Same with San Antonio and Nashville. Las Vegas is approaching 2M as well, but as with any other sport, relocation/expansion here could be considered a conflict of interest (being a gambling town and all).

Honestly, contraction probably needs to be looked at again. About a decade ago or so, they looked at eliminating the Twins and another team (A's I think?). Getting rid of 2 teams makes it easier to spread the talent and therefore easier for the "little guy" to compete. That, and salary caps.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:59 AM

644 posts, read 1,430,189 times
How about New Orleans? Great sports city.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:02 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
The A's need a new stadium and a new owner, not a new city.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
How about New Orleans? Great sports city.
The city already has 2 major league teams(NBA, NFL). 3 teams for a market of just over 1 million seems a bit too much.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:09 AM

365 posts, read 499,268 times
Charlotte has hit 2 million

Old 04-29-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The A's need a new stadium and a new owner, not a new city.
Sorry but I have to disagree.

http://www.crwflags.com/art/pins/spo...sal/asphil.jpg

Old 04-29-2013, 09:16 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,094,734 times
I don't think Portland will ever get Major League Baseball.

Portland attracts young people, the demographic that has lost a good deal of interest in baseball.

Baseball is still relatively popular with the younger residents of the Northeast. Unfortunately, Portland would play in a western division, giving them less home games against teams that young in-migrants from the east coast would want to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City