Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 05:53 AM

27,340 posts, read 44,390,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
You're right, I have never been there and I never said it sucked. Just pointed out that in America, among cities, there are plenty out there with a larger Chinatown than Philadelphia. It was the last semi-joking point in my post, but was meant to highlight that there are a lot of "downtown aspects" that Philadelphia is simply not #2 in.

1) So why does the organization that the OP links to (a Philly organization nonetheless) put out a report that extends "downtown" (or "Extended Center City" as they call it) to beyond Passyunk Square to the south, which includes the majority of South Philly?

Why get sassy with me? I'm commenting on the situation at hand, a situation I didn't create or make up.

Again, Pacific Heights is roughly the same distance to the financial district in SF as Tasker is to Market St in Philly (1.6 mi). The Montgomery St BART station is 1.6 mi to Ghirardelli Square in Fisherman's Wharf. Nobody in their right minds would consider those neighborhoods within that space "downtown" and then boost downtown SF's population artificially like that.

The thing is, downtown Chicago would literally encompass much if not most of that area, and it would be a little more "accurate" to count that whole area as downtown Chicago population. Neither SF nor Philly have "downtowns" that large, and SF's IS larger than Philly's.

2) Apparently there are 8 Chinatowns in US/Canada with more Chinese than Philly's, so I wasn't that far off.

Manhattan 50,000 (report on NY/Boston/Philadelphia Chinatown)
San Francisco 19,000 (94108 and 94133)
Chicago 8,000
Toronto 7,500
Boston 5,500
Los Angeles 5,500
Oakland 4,000
Vancouver 3,000
Philadelphia 2,500
Seattle 1,000
Montreal 500
Washington less than 500

And again, a way less serious way of pointing out Philly's downtown is smaller than Chicago's, and several other cities, as well.

3) I believe when it came to high rises I said "LA?", as it would not be all that far fetched; and in fact, having spent a fair amount of time in either city, I would think DTLA has more high rises. Maybe not many more and perhaps either city is more or less similar, but LA is no small potato.

Perception wise, Seattle seems to have at least as many skyscrapers as CC Philly, however, I have seen the numbers by someone on this site and apparently it doesn't have as many.

? For someone who has 30 posts since March of 2015 you seem to know a lot about a lot of posters around here. And who are you and all your prior pseudonyms(?)? FTR, I have no idea who the last person in your list is. The 3rd name in your list is a poster on another site and the 2nd name on your list was a poster here and another site.

Save your breath, so to speak... C-D is silly with Philly boosters for some odd reason, in case you hadn't noticed the ad nauseum threads of Philly vs. (fill in the blank). Philly is god's gift to humanity in their eyes and need constant reassurance, so just nod your head and move along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 06:37 AM

14,205 posts, read 22,869,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Save your breath, so to speak... C-D is silly with stupid trolls masquerading as Philly boosters for some odd reason...
I corrected your post. You're welcome.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:43 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,947,198 times
Chicago grew .99%, and Philadelphia grew 1.44%....wow, watch out Chicago, Philly now has only 3,500,000 less people!

Old 04-21-2015, 06:58 AM

934 posts, read 1,452,333 times
How are the populations in both downtowns being measured? I mean if you drew a several mile square over both central Philly and central Chicago, I wouldn't be surprised if Philly came out a little larger. It's central business district is much smaller compared to the Loop, so Philly (which is a dense city) would incorporate more residential districts into their downtown population compared to Chicago.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:22 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,744,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
1) So why does the organization that the OP links to (a Philly organization nonetheless) put out a report that extends "downtown" (or "Extended Center City" as they call it) to beyond Passyunk Square to the south, which includes the majority of South Philly?

Why get sassy with me? I'm commenting on the situation at hand, a situation I didn't create or make up.

Again, Pacific Heights is roughly the same distance to the financial district in SF as Tasker is to Market St in Philly (1.6 mi). The Montgomery St BART station is 1.6 mi to Ghirardelli Square in Fisherman's Wharf. Nobody in their right minds would consider those neighborhoods within that space "downtown" and then boost downtown SF's population artificially like that.
There's a reason it's called "Center City Philadelphia" rather than "downtown". Usually "center city" is what people really care about in these discussion, so IMO Philadelphia's borders are more reasonable than San Francisco. Including South Philadelphia is a stretch, Center City's boundaries are set for historical reasons, and you can kinda tell when leaving Center City the area has changed to sleepier and mainly residential.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:46 AM

32,198 posts, read 34,965,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
There's a reason it's called "Center City Philadelphia" rather than "downtown". Usually "center city" is what people really care about in these discussion, so IMO Philadelphia's borders are more reasonable than San Francisco. Including South Philadelphia is a stretch, Center City's boundaries are set for historical reasons, and you can kinda tell when leaving Center City the area has changed to sleepier and mainly residential.
When I was growing up, we called it "Downtown Philadelphia." I think that's true for a lot of people until the "Center City" designation started catching on. But for the most part, "downtown" was always Vine to South and river to river. Anything much beyond that is stretching things.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:49 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,822,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
You should be proud of living in San Jose man. It's the tech corporate anchor of the Bay Area, even though it's overshadowed by San Francisco. You have your own hockey team and the 49ers new stadium is in your territory. There's no need to troll and pretend that you are a obnoxious Philly booster so you can try to give the Philly posters a bad rep.
Thanks. This troll is even spreading ill-will on Philly's own board. A bunch of delusional posts.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:51 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,822,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Ruining the forum
Not just this forum. Our OWN Philadelphia forum. Trolls!

Old 04-21-2015, 08:52 AM

22,378 posts, read 39,100,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
When I was growing up, we called it "Downtown Philadelphia." I think that's true for a lot of people until the "Center City" designation started catching on. But for the most part, "downtown" was always Vine to South and river to river. Anything much beyond that is stretching things.
I have called it CC all my life and believe at least a few years older than you.

That said to me CC (DT) has always been pretty clearly defined and understood as you defined. I think if any extension would be added it would be U City as it has become a significant job center. I don't see upper South or Lower North being Center City

I cant fathom calling Francisville or Point Breeze part of CC - even Bella Vista is a stretch and to me S Philly.

It almost seems the article more shows the boundaries of significant gentrification then identifying CC or the DT

Old 04-21-2015, 09:01 AM

32,198 posts, read 34,965,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I have called it CC all my life and believe at least a few years older than you.

That said to me CC (DT) has always been pretty clearly defined and understood as you defined. I think if any extension would be added it would be U City as it has become a significant job center. I don't see upper South or Lower North being Center City

I cant fathom calling Francisville or Point Breeze part of CC - even Bella Vista is a stretch and to me S Philly.

It almost seems the article more shows the boundaries of significant gentrification then identifying CC or the DT
I've always said "downtown." Though I now use both interchangeably since it's now 2015 as opposed to the 1980s.

Agreed with the bigger point at play here. C-D sees some ridiculous stretching of CBD/Downtown boundaries.

-Downtown DC is everything from U Street south
-Manhattan is one giant Downtown
-Center City will soon stretch all the way to Wayne Junction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City