Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2017, 04:47 PM

7,303 posts, read 10,657,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I agree, and I don't know why so many people are jumping to argue this point with you. I don't know Chicago all that well, but I do know one aspect I enjoy about Philadelphia over NYC is not everyone is in this big hurry trying to push you out of the way, yet there is still plenty of people walking around, eating outside, etc. My favorite streets to cross the city on are locust, spruce, and pine. I am excited to visit Chicago at the end of August.
Yep. Don't think anyone would mistake Philadelphians for genteel Southerners, but again relating to its narrower, one-way streets and low rise housing, gives the city overall the feel being comprised of a series of villages, which makes it quite unique and far less frenetic, particularly for a large East Coast city. And that's something I think most people find to be positive.

Of course, you don't have go farther than Walnut or Market to get into the rush of the big city, either, let alone the cattle shoot that is the Schuylkill Expressway.

Regarding homelessness, again I honestly haven't found Philly to be any worse in this regard to many large cities, so maybe Chicago is holding out in its secret to solving that issue. And litter is still admittedly an issue in too much of the city, but in the vast majority of Center City, again, I've personally found that it's one par with other large, densely populated downtowns (although, again Chicago is almost weirdly spotless for such a large city, so using that city as a threshhold is not necessarily speaking in terms of an average).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 06:54 PM

306 posts, read 482,412 times
Think we found our troll.

Leaving tomorrow back to Chicago. I had a great weekend in Philly. The only thing I don't like about it(and this is getting city/data nerd) is how things are laid out and I love the low key vibe.

I could care less if statistically it is said to have more people than downtown Chicago. It could. The loop is all office buildings and River North and Steeterville are more restaurants, shops, clubs. That said, downtown Chicago is a tier above Philly and I think most would agree.

I do see a lot of promise in Philly, I will say that. For instance on Penn Landing this morning, they had a tiny Ferris wheel, a few eateries, and some weird, but kind of cool hammocks. I could see this turn into a nice spot.

As for as Chicago is concerned. The overwhelming amount of violence is done in a few neighborhoods on the south and west side. There are two Chicago's, what you see downtown and north/northwest and south/west side Chicago. that is not a good thing. The population loss is coming to poor residents.

From a city perspective it is on another boom and downtown is more beautiful and vibrant than ever. From Grant Park, Milleniuim, Art Institute, north torwards Mich Ave, the boat tours, Navy Pier(as cheesy as it is for residents, for tourists it is great and improving). Also the LP's, Lakeviews, Wriggleville(esp next year when all is done) is to be admired.

DirtyPirate I hope you have a great time when you visit.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:04 PM

749 posts, read 486,871 times
Lol this post is funny. I was in Chicago and it's insane. Over 300 skyscrapers. How many does Philly have? How do you define downtown?

Old 06-25-2017, 07:09 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,029,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
Lol this post is funny. I was in Chicago and it's insane. Over 300 skyscrapers. How many does Philly have? How do you define downtown?
Chicago can not compete with elite coastal cities.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:29 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,439,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Yes it can, and it has for decades and decades. To pretend otherwise is just feigning ignorance.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:49 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,912,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Of course it can....so silly.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:52 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,888,007 times
Dont argue any anti Chicago on City Data you will be bombarded by a group of trolls to defend it.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Dont argue any anti Chicago on City Data you will be bombarded by a group of trolls to defend it.
What about the group that's always anti-Chicago.......

Old 06-25-2017, 09:17 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,888,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
What about the group that's always anti-Chicago.......
Chicago is the most well liked city I found on CD other than Seattle and San Fran, at least my least the I have seen. I am not pro or anti Chicago it is just okay for me, great for visiting not my style for living.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Chicago is the most well liked city I found on CD other than Seattle and San Fran, at least my least the I have seen. I am not pro or anti Chicago it is just okay for me, great for visiting not my style for living.
You, clearly, don't read what I read. There are numerous anti-Chicago posters....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City