Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2015, 03:35 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times

Advertisements

Quick Wiki search. Does this answer your question?

Business climate and real estate[edit]

Forbes magazine ranked Indianapolis the sixth-best city for jobs in 2008, based on a combined graded balance of perceived median household incomes, lack of unemployment, income growth, cost of living and job growth However, in 2008, Indiana ranked 12th nationally in total home foreclosures and Indianapolis led the state
The National Association of Home Builders and Wells Fargo ranked Indianapolis the most affordable major housing market in the U.S. for the fourth quarter of 2009. That year, Indianapolis also ranked first on CNN/Money's list of the top ten cities for recent graduates
In 2010, Indianapolis was rated the tenth best city for relocation by Yahoo Real Estate, and tenth among U.S. metropolitan areas for GDP growth.
In 2011, Indianapolis ranked sixth among U.S. cities as a retirement destination, as one of the best Midwestern cities for relocation best for rental property investing, and best in a composite measure that considered local employment outlook and housing affordability
A 2013 analysis by site selection consulting firm The Boyd Company, Inc. ranked Indianapolis as the most cost competitive market for corporate headquarters facilities in the United States. Also in 2013, Indianapolis appeared on Forbes' list of Best Places for Business and Careers
In 2014, a report by Battelle Memorial Institute and Biotechnology Industry Organization indicated that the Indianapolis-Carmel Metropolitan Statistical Area was the only U.S. metropolitan area to have specialized employment concentrations in each of the five bioscience sectors evaluated in the study: agricultural feedstock and chemicals; bioscience-related distribution; drugs and pharmaceuticals; medical devices and equipment; and research, testing, and medical laboratories.
Municipal and state government agencies offer incentives to startup firms and other small businesses in Indianapolis. Four facilities designated as Indiana Certified Technology Parks are located in the city: CityWay and Downtown Indianapolis Certified Technology Park/Indiana University Emerging Technologies Center, both in the downtown area; Intech Park, in Pike Township, Marion County; and Purdue Research Park of Indianapolis - Ameriplex, in Decatur Township, Marion County
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 04:51 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Quick Wiki search. Does this answer your question?

Business climate and real estate[edit]

Forbes magazine ranked Indianapolis the sixth-best city for jobs in 2008, based on a combined graded balance of perceived median household incomes, lack of unemployment, income growth, cost of living and job growth However, in 2008, Indiana ranked 12th nationally in total home foreclosures and Indianapolis led the state
The National Association of Home Builders and Wells Fargo ranked Indianapolis the most affordable major housing market in the U.S. for the fourth quarter of 2009. That year, Indianapolis also ranked first on CNN/Money's list of the top ten cities for recent graduates
In 2010, Indianapolis was rated the tenth best city for relocation by Yahoo Real Estate, and tenth among U.S. metropolitan areas for GDP growth.
In 2011, Indianapolis ranked sixth among U.S. cities as a retirement destination, as one of the best Midwestern cities for relocation best for rental property investing, and best in a composite measure that considered local employment outlook and housing affordability
A 2013 analysis by site selection consulting firm The Boyd Company, Inc. ranked Indianapolis as the most cost competitive market for corporate headquarters facilities in the United States. Also in 2013, Indianapolis appeared on Forbes' list of Best Places for Business and Careers
In 2014, a report by Battelle Memorial Institute and Biotechnology Industry Organization indicated that the Indianapolis-Carmel Metropolitan Statistical Area was the only U.S. metropolitan area to have specialized employment concentrations in each of the five bioscience sectors evaluated in the study: agricultural feedstock and chemicals; bioscience-related distribution; drugs and pharmaceuticals; medical devices and equipment; and research, testing, and medical laboratories.
Municipal and state government agencies offer incentives to startup firms and other small businesses in Indianapolis. Four facilities designated as Indiana Certified Technology Parks are located in the city: CityWay and Downtown Indianapolis Certified Technology Park/Indiana University Emerging Technologies Center, both in the downtown area; Intech Park, in Pike Township, Marion County; and Purdue Research Park of Indianapolis - Ameriplex, in Decatur Township, Marion County
Thank you! You've completely answered my question.

Quote:
Umm...we've offered some theories and you say they're wrong haha
No, you've suggested it's not that high and that I'm not comparing peer cities, and that it has to be grouped with the likes of Charlotte, Portland, St. Louis, and Pittsburgh. That is pretty much all you've offered.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:29 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Congratulations, maybe you want to start your own thread on Global Cities? I'm asking about GDP and GDP only. If you have nothing else to contribute then I kindly ask that you move along.
You mean the metric that doesn't Even take into account all aspects of business? It's a think tank based off of opinion. The op used GDP because it is the ONLY metric used to guage size of economy worldwide. Gross GDP, per capita GDP says what it says and is what it is.

For the record larger areas are supposed to have larger gdp's. That is how it is. It's when you have smaller areas out performing larger areas and when you take notice and that was the gist of the whole post. If everything fell in line, no need for the thread.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:30 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Quote:
25 Indianapolis-Carmel, IN MSA 126,472 120,343 114,170 111,541 106,790 107,697
26 Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor, OH MSA 122,878 120,393 114,364 109,654 105,035 109,728
27 Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL MSA 122,515 117,695 111,786 110,057 109,837 112,306
28 Cincinnati-Middletown, OH-KY-IN MSA 119,090 115,124 108,509 104,538 100,626 102,405
29 Kansas City, MO-KS MSA 117,321 113,965 109,477 107,417 103,233 103,585
30 Columbus, OH MSA 114,253 108,757 101,196 96,855 92,924 94,163
31 Orlando–Kissimmee–Sanford, FL MSA 110,443 106,393 101,593 101,196 99,901 103,215
32 Sacramento–Arden–Arcade–Roseville, CA MSA 108,165 103,544 98,931 95,816 94,714 97,348
33 Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos, TX MSA 103,892 100,135 92,857 87,649 81,743 83,200
34 Nashville-Davidson–Murfreesboro–Franklin, TN MSA 100,841 97,330 89,814 85,201 81,602 82,001
35 San Antonio–New Braunfels, TX MSA 96,030 91,947 86,979 81,529 76,837 78,301
36 Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, WI MSA 94,374 92,179 89,996 87,251 85,405 85,267
37 Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT MSA 93,502 91,427 87,729 84,229 80,535 84,799
38 Las Vegas-Paradise, NV MSA 92,991 89,083 85,484 85,236 86,547 94,112

9 of the cities that follow Indianapolis, (that means come behind it) are larger than it in metro area population. That is the ONLY remark I was making. Several of those cities are considerably larger, a couple are almost the exact same size, but slightly larger.

There is not one metro area in the country that is SMALLER than Indianapolis in population while also having a larger GDP than it. Someone listed San Jose, but San Jose is several thousand people larger than Indianapolis by most recent estimates, probably more since it's growing so quickly.

What else do you have?
Again, you're ignoring population peers that have larger GDPs- Portland, Charlotte, San Jose, etc. 2 of the above aren't population peers- Tampa and Bridgeport. You're absolutely cherry-picking to get a desired result. Population peers, btw, would be metros between 1.5-2.5 million. You seem fine using the smallest range of that and on up to Indy's size, but refuse to use the higher range. What a mystery as to why. You also completely ignored growth rates and per-capita, where it becomes really clear that the difference Indy has over those below it is not actually that significant, and that in some instances, Indy is underperforming. Again, a complete mystery as to why you'd ignore that.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Can we go based off of this? GDP is important, but not the be all end all.

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Indy doesn't blow the competition out of the water. Cities ranked higher that we have established are peers or at least somewhat near peer level:
  • Portland
  • Kansas City
  • Orlando
  • Columbus
  • Milwaukee
  • Cincinnati
  • San Jose
  • Tampa
  • Charlotte
  • St. Louis
  • Raleigh
  • even San Juan, PR
In the same category as Indy:
  • Richmond
  • Pittsburgh
  • Austin
The only ones it beats:
  • Sacramento
  • Nashville
  • Las Vegas
So yeah, maybe GDP is higher. Nobody has answer as to why. But it's still much less significant of a city than you think.
What's been established is that Indy is within its GDP peer range and not actually totally blowing everyone out of the water, which was the idea the OP tried to sell us.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
No, it simply outperforms exactly 9 cities with larger populations than it while not one single city has a higher GDP and lower population. Not sure how that's cherry picking since Indy is stacked up against LARGER cities.
Neither Milwaukee nor Nashville metros are larger. They're smaller. They're population peers, but I'm not sure why you keep making claims that aren't true.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Instead of berating me and my thread for asking such a simple question, why don't you try to answer what makes the GDP of Indianapolis high for its population? What makes a city of just under 2 million outperform cities of well over 2 million?

Are there a lot of wealthy fortune 500 companies there?
Is it being the amateur sports capital of the country?
Is it the Indy 500?
Are their numbers skewed or fudged?

I don't understand why no one else wonders or questions what makes Indy's GDP significantly higher than a lot of cities that are larger than it. Getting upset and saying I'm "cherry picking" or not grouping it with all of its "peer" cities does nothing to answer my original question, which is the ONLY basis for this thread.
Why should anyone attempt to answer an obviously loaded question? When I did the GDP peer post, I gave exactly where Indy ranks in all the GDP categories. It's not first in any of them. It's in the top half of GDP and per-capita, but in terms of billions, it's a lot closer to the bottom metros than the top. So really, what is there to discuss? Indy does better than some, worse than others. It's within the performance range, nothing spectacular. As to why that is, you've repeatedly rejected any ideas that didn't boil down to "Indy is like, totally awesome!" That is the best answer you're going to get.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:11 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Why should anyone attempt to answer an obviously loaded question? When I did the GDP peer post, I gave exactly where Indy ranks in all the GDP categories. It's not first in any of them. It's in the top half of GDP and per-capita, but in terms of billions, it's a lot closer to the bottom metros than the top. So really, what is there to discuss? Indy does better than some, worse than others. It's within the performance range, nothing spectacular. As to why that is, you've repeatedly rejected any ideas that didn't boil down to "Indy is like, totally awesome!" That is the best answer you're going to get.
Exactly exactly exactly. Indy does do better than some in GDP and GDP per capita, but others do better. It's not a statistical anomaly in any way. And we have no other answer. Go ask a scientist at this point. We've give our opinions and theories and you just say that every single one is wrong.

Let me ask you. What do you want from this thread? You want a solid answer as to why Indy has a GDP that puts it NEAR the top of its peers? It's not "so much higher than its peer cities" and we've offered theories to this. You don't like any of them. I give up at this point.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:45 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
What's been established is that Indy is within its GDP peer range and not actually totally blowing everyone out of the water, which was the idea the OP tried to sell us.
Quote:
I honestly think the chip on your shoulder is so large, you see obviously not loaded questions as loaded questions.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I honestly think the chip on your shoulder is so large, you see obviously not loaded questions as loaded questions.
Meh, regardless of what you think of me, the actual numbers speak for themselves. Indy is within the peer range, and that kind of makes the point of the whole thread moot. Sorry this upsets some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City