Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which can endure better living in?
Chicago Cold Season 87 50.88%
Houston Heat Season 84 49.12%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 11:56 AM

345 posts, read 810,939 times

Advertisements

Both are long brutal seasons and makes you want to stay in. You must wear layers and shovel snow during winters up north, while summers in south are over 100 degrees and very humid where you must shower everyday from sweaty clothes. Which do you prefer to endure if you were forced to live between the these two weather extremes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 12:02 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,154,426 times
Houston summers are a walk in a park compared to Chicago or any midwestern winter. I know a lot of people will come in and adamantly disagree with me. This is CD after all.

In Houston, there was a healthy percent of locals who looked forward to summer and the warmer weather which meant boating, trips to Galveston, and BBQ. I do remember we had a late start to our summer, some cold weather came in late April/early May and people complained.

In the midwest (I never lived in Chicago but have in Detroit and Minneapolis), a late start to winter has people cheering. During the winter all you hear is people complaining.

In Houston, during the summer, there is maybe a 4-6 hour window period when it's hot, and you will sweat, and you will want AC especially if you're in a suit or business casual. But the rest (18-20 hours) is beautiful, nice, warm but not sweaty. In the midwest, a cold day is an even colder and more miserable night. It's non stop misery basically.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:04 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,922 times
Well, I've seen Chicago and other midwest winters, and while I've never seen Houston I did live in El Paso for awhile- and I'd take the summer heat for sure.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:10 PM

There are things not properly discussed when it comes to a midwestern winter and it is: ice and snowy roads which are not only dangerous to drive on (and stressful) but also cause traffic jams and shut down roads. This January I was actually driving in Chicago when a blizzard hit during rush hour. Besides dangerous driving conditions, highways simply shut down. I had to take side streets to avoid it.

Last edited by SDPMiami; 07-09-2015 at 12:50 PM..

Old 07-09-2015, 01:04 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,533,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
In Houston, there was a healthy percent of locals who looked forward to summer and the warmer weather which meant boating, trips to Galveston, and BBQ. I do remember we had a late start to our summer, some cold weather came in late April/early May and people complained.
In Chicago, there was a healthy percent of locals who looked forward to winter and the snowy weather which meant snowmobiling, ski trips up north, and ice fishing. I do remember we had a late start to our winter, some warm weather came in late December/early January and people complained.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
There are things not properly discussed when it comes to a midwestern winter and it is: ice and snowy roads which are not only dangerous to drive on (and stressful) but also cause traffic jams and shut down roads. This January I was actually driving in Chicago when a blizzard hit during rush hour. Besides dangerous driving conditions, highways simply shut down. I had to take side streets to avoid it.
I've driven in winter weather for 3 decades now without a single accident. Perhaps you're ill-equipped to handle obstacles others maintain without even thinking about 'em? We have a name for people like you up here...several of them, in fact.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I've driven in winter weather for 3 decades now without a single accident. Perhaps you're ill-equipped to handle obstacles others maintain without even thinking about 'em? We have a name for people like you up here...several of them, in fact.
I never been in an accident either, but seeing your response to my post, you have some big reading problems you need to fix.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
In Chicago, there was a healthy percent of locals who looked forward to winter and the snowy weather which meant snowmobiling, ski trips up north, and ice fishing. I do remember we had a late start to our winter, some warm weather came in late December/early January and people complained.
you're lying, last year snow came to Chicago sometime in november.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
you're lying, last year snow came to Chicago sometime in november.
Talk about the inability to read - where exactly does it say "last year?"

Ah. In what you refer to as your "mind" and nowhere else.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Talk about the inability to read - where exactly does it say "last year?"

Ah. In what you refer to as your "mind" and nowhere else.
People snowmobile in Chicago? It's not the country like Wisconsin. There is no culture of snowmobiling in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City