Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 02:54 PM

32 posts, read 37,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Busier downtown, maybe.
Seattle also has a number of urban, vibrant neighborhoods adjacent to Downtown (Capitol Hill, Queen Anne, South Lake Union, First Hill, International District, etc.) so it trumps Baltimore in that regard. I'd argue that portions of Capitol Hill are now more vibrant, with more foot traffic, than Downtown Seattle.

Also, there are increasingly large swaths of Seattle miles outside of the urban core where the urban fabric is growing stronger and more cohesive.

Ballard is seeing a pretty dramatic increase in urbanity, and that area already had very good bones:
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6659...8i6656!6m1!1e1

But even moreso than Ballard, particularly where the new subway corridor will be opening in 2021 (U District, Roosevelt, Greenlake, and several adjacent areas) you're seeing an increasingly urban, high-density landscape. Some sections are seeing entirely new streetwalls built up from scratch: https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6617...7i13312!8i6656

And this more new urbanism style of development is adjoining older sections with good bones, like these:
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6627...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6631...7i13312!8i6656

Greenlake is getting increasingly built-up and has a nice pedestrian landscape:
https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6803...7i13312!8i6656

And the area between Greenlake and Roosevelt (soon to be served directly by a subway station smack dab in the middle of the commercial district) is filling out nicely as well, although most of the new development in Roosevelt isn't captured yet on streetview.

There are things like this happening throughout the city outside of the urban core, and the urban core (not just Downtown, but the adjacent neighborhoods as well) is already more urban and vibrant than Baltimore's downtown. Baltimore has outstanding bones, but there's more to urbanity than bones (just ask St. Louis).

Seattle may not have a cohesive urban fabric compared to the big 6 (yes, DC belongs lumped in with those 5), but it's a complete myth that the urbanity completely drops off outside of the urban core. The reason Seattle has a PPSM of 8000 is that it has (growing) swaths and pockets of density and urbanity throughout the city.

Last edited by GaryS35; 06-22-2015 at 03:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 03:30 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Busier downtown, maybe.
Exactly...busier. Not more structurally dense.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
1. High rises have nothing to do with urbanity. So the # of highrises is completely irrelevant. Not in all cases but it most definitely plays a factor in terms of creating an urban environment from an aesthetic and structural perspective. More high rises means more urban infrastructure is required to support the heavy density.

2. Dubai is hardly urban. It's a mess of freeways and suburban-style skyscrapers. There's almost no walkability, and most of the main streets don't even have sidewalks. If your city "looks like Dubai" then you can be sure your city isn't urban. I never said Miami was like Dubai, I simply stated that it has a Dubai-type FEEL in regards to sleek ultra-modern skyline and structural innovation in its urban core.

3. Anyone who thinks Miami is the "fifth most walkable city in America" is smoking something real good. This is a real fact believe it or not, according to https://www.walkscore.com/cities-and-neighborhoods/ is in fact the 5th most walkable city in America. Anyone that has been to or lives in Miami knows that Downtown Miami is in fact extremely walkable, especially in core urban neighborhoods such as Brickell and the CBD, the urban core is well integrated with MetroMover and Metrorail public transit infrastructure.

4. Relative rate of development has nothing to do with relative urbanity. The fact that Miami is still booming with major development on top of an already existing heavily developed urban core and Baltimore is not speaks loudly.
Maybe "booming" is a relative term, but Baltimore is certainly building something new everyday. Maybe the recent events in Baltimore have led people to believe that city has nothing going for it, I can assure you that isn't the case.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:47 PM

32 posts, read 37,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Exactly...busier. Not more structurally dense.
Sorry, but no matter how you slice it Seattle's downtown and inner neighborhoods are more urban than Baltimore's. I've been to both and I'm not sure how you could argue otherwise.

Where it becomes murkier is the outer neighborhoods of the two cities. Baltimore has substantially better residential bones overall, and there's a lot to be said for that very solid urban fabric underpinning Balitmore in a way that Seattle could only dream of (outside of the urban core). However, (again, outside of the urban core) Seattle has swaths and nodes of concentrated commercial/mixed-use activity in areas that are fairly dense and walkable (spread throughout the city) that Baltimore cannot match, and these areas are becoming increasingly cohesive, although there's still a long way to go.

Last edited by GaryS35; 06-22-2015 at 03:57 PM..

Old 06-22-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS35 View Post
Sorry, but no matter how you slice it Seattle's downtown and inner neighborhoods are more urban than Baltimore's. I've been to both and I'm not sure how you could argue otherwise.

Where it becomes murkier is the outer neighborhoods of the two cities. Baltimore has substantially better residential bones overall, and there's a lot to be said for that very solid urban fabric underpinning Balitmore in a way that Seattle could only dream of (outside of the urban core). However, (again, outside of the urban core) Seattle has swaths and nodes of concentrated commercial/mixed-use activity in areas that are fairly dense and walkable (spread throughout the city) that Baltimore cannot match, and these areas are becoming increasingly cohesive, although there's still a long way to go.
Pics?

Old 06-22-2015, 04:33 PM

4 posts, read 3,749 times
[quote=KodeBlue;40122613]Pics?[/QUOTE

Check the streetviews above.

Last edited by Hiraldo; 06-22-2015 at 05:14 PM..

Old 06-22-2015, 04:52 PM

689 posts, read 1,006,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
Where are you getting this information from? If you are going to go as far as typing everything in red then at least try to pull actual facts. Please click the link below and review the actual data, as seen in this chart, once again, BOTH Miami and Atlanta are ranked higher than Baltimore on the urban density chart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...10_Urban_Areas
Again funny when people don't know what they are talking about clearly that list has metro density of Baltimore over Atlanta's not both I don't know what you were looking at? Anyway none of that matters.

What do you think I just randomly pulled numbers out of my behind you can find your facts below. This would count as fail #2 if you have eyes you will find how dense they are which is why it was inappropriate for you to even bring up metro density in the first place as others have already established.
Miami metropolitan area
Atlanta metropolitan area
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 06-26-2015 at 05:16 AM..

Old 06-22-2015, 05:51 PM

[quote=Hiraldo;40122665]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Pics?[/QUOTE

Check the streetviews above.
If that's all you have, then yes, Baltimore is more urban than Seattle.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:32 PM

4 posts, read 5,904 times
--

Old 06-22-2015, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,957 times
Seattle is more urban than Baltimore and Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City