Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's The Next City To Join The Class Of New York, LA, Chicago, Boston, Philly, DC, San Francisco &
Atlanta 33 30.56%
Dallas 11 10.19%
Houston 18 16.67%
Minneapolis 2 1.85%
Cleveland 0 0%
Seattle 31 28.70%
Detroit 3 2.78%
Denver 0 0%
San Diego 2 1.85%
Baltimore 2 1.85%
Phoenix 0 0%
Charlotte 1 0.93%
Other 5 4.63%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 09:58 AM

325 posts, read 255,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
There are 5 world class cities currently: NYC, SF, Chicago, DC, and LA. I believe there are four emerging world class cities: Houston, Atlanta, Boston, and Seattle. I believe Boston is right on the line and could reach world class status in the next decade. I think the other three still need 2-3 decades at the minimum for different reasons.
Good assessment. Particularly noted is the exclusion of Philadelphia, which I believe in accurate. Not particularly sure Atlanta will ever be more than a regional center with a busy airport and an Oympics in the '90s, but if I knew things like that conclusively, I'd be worth several billion.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:00 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac_5 View Post
Good assessment. Particularly noted is the exclusion of Philadelphia, which I believe in accurate. Not particularly sure Atlanta will ever be more than a regional center with a busy airport and an Oympics in the '90s, but if I knew things like that conclusively, I'd be worth several billion.
But who ever saw it as even that in the 60's and 70's? Clearly it's evolving into something significantly more beyond that.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:19 AM

233 posts, read 368,829 times
Boston is and has been a global city for a long time according to most professional analysis of that sort of thing. Cities from OPs up and coming list are mentioned occasionally by some analysts as well but Boston is definitely widely considered global.

https://www.atkearney.com/research-s...ies-index/2015

What Is the World's Most Economically Powerful City? - The Atlantic

https://www.atkearney.com/news-media...ies-2015/10192

Old 06-22-2015, 11:53 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Great post overall. Only thing you might get called out on is the bike share bit--there are several US cities with bike share programs (NYC and DC for starters) so the Paris allusion might be inflating a bit.
Yeah, I should not have included that. I have been in college for months, so I haven't had the opportunity to really explore D.C. and NYC like I do when I travel alone. The only cities that I have had a real chance to explore so far in 2015 are Paris and Philadelphia. If I get pointed out for it, I will consider it rightfully deserved.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:03 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Wrong thread.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:43 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
That is pretty funny.

Another thing that Atlanta fails to do is make a list like this: QS Best Student Cities 2015 | Top Universities

A worldly city also would have exhibits and displays that no other places have.

Philadelphia Museum of Art - Exhibitions - Discovering the Impressionists: Paul Durand-Ruel and the New Painting , This exhibit will only be seen in Philadelphia, Paris, and London.

Or something like this: Future Sensations | Saint-Gobain North America , This exhibit will only be in Philadelphia, Shanghai, Sao Paulo, and Paris.

Not to mention after this summer two of the last three Popes will have held Mass outside in our city.

Agreed. And the Dali Lama is coming right after the Pope!

I think Atlanta has really grown a lot the past few decades and is very well known today around the World. But I still don't think it has the legacy and culture Philly has, even if it can be argued today Atlanta is more well known (mostly do to reality TV) as a destination.

Notoriety is not always a good thing and I think Philly is trying to be discriminatory in what kind of press it gets and the outside people it attracts-can't hate on that.

Philly to me will always be the cool quiet kid, that continues to do it's own thing despite the talk on the town. This atmosphere has allowed many different types of people, especially artists and entrepreneurs, to thrive here. Too much growth and change in COL is the anti-thesis of a stable deep-rooted community-of which Philly has a plethora.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 06-22-2015 at 12:52 PM..

Old 06-22-2015, 12:54 PM

Of course, Philly has a more extensive cultural legacy...it's a much more historic and older city. Philly was a world class city 70 years ago, but times and standards have changed.

Plenty of cities in Europe were once great cities of the world, but today, are only know for just that. Hell, Rome was the #1 city in the world for centuries. Now it's not named in that 1st tier of cities(NYC, Paris, London, and Tokyo). Athens was once a great city and now look at it.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:04 PM

Yes, but this thread is not necessarily about World Class, which is an ambiguous term. Besides (and I hate to be one of those posters talking negatively about Atlanta), but I don't think of Atlanta as a "World Class City". There are movers and shakers in ATL, but the infrastructure is just not there.

Today just because a city has more F-500s than another city doesn't make it more "World Class". It usually only means the city is more corporate and "business friendly" and tax incentives were better in that city. Philadelphia has not been very "business friendly" the past few decades, but there has been a lot of good to come from that too-Philly is a very individualistic city and pretty anti-corporate, anti-chain. The history and legacy will always be there however-and will continue to be a focus as Philly is now growing and building again.

Legacy, history and urbanity is a big part of what ties the cities mentioned in this thread together-New York, LA, Chicago, Boston, Philly, DC, San Francisco.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 06-22-2015 at 01:12 PM..

Old 06-22-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Yes, but this thread is not necessarily about World Class. Besides (and I hate to be one of those posters talking negative about Atlanta), but I don't think of Atlanta as "World Class".

Legacy and history is a big part of what ties the cities mentioned in this thread together-New York, LA, Chicago, Boston, Philly, DC, San Francisco.
I don't think Atlanta is world class either. If you saw my post earlier, there's only 5 world class cities in the country: NYC, LA, SF, Chicago, and D.C. I'm hesitant to include Boston in that.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I don't think Atlanta is world class either. If you saw my post earlier, there's only 5 world class cities in the country: NYC, LA, SF, Chicago, and D.C. I'm hesitant to include Boston in that.
I can agree with this. My Mom is from Boston and I have family there I visit often-it may surprise people but Boston can be just as provincial as Philadelphia, if not even moreso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City