Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 04:45 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,893,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
I get the feeling that most of the posters from Fort Worth who claim its not a conservative city have never have lived or traveled much outside of Texas much, so they really don't know any better. It's pretty similar to OKC, just larger and in a larger metro area.

While Dallas and Houston both have a large "blue" contingent but there is a lot of red there too, don't be fooled by the people who live in the bubble there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Same goes for Houston as well. As a whole it's probably a democratic city, but it was the most conservative city I lived in. You just run into more people with conservative view points than you do in places like Los Angeles, Miami, even San Diego and Atlanta(!!!!).

It's ok though, nothing is wrong with being conservative. I'm conservative myself, especially fiscally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
There is a lot of truth in this. You see a lot of liberals who live in conservative cities very immersed in their bubbles and to them, it's not as conservative as most people think it is. I am not arguing that Dallas is conservative because I actually think its pretty moderate to left-leaning, but Fort Worth leans to the right. People who say it doesn't are living in a bubble. Salt Lake City is another perfect example of political bubble mentality. There is a large liberal contingent there and it's very easy to surround yourself with only likeminded progressives. However, the city and metro as a whole leans red and the state even moreso.

There is a reason Dallas is a bit more liberal. First, it attracts a large portion of the creative class from all over the region. If you are looking for a somewhat progressive environment, want to stay in the southcentral United States, and don't want Austin, then Dallas is your next best option. I know there is tremendous migration of educated people and creatives from OKC to Dallas and those people are going to end to vote more liberal. Secondly because of it's size and economic draw, it is much more diverse than anything else in the region and more diverse areas usually lean left.
I take it you're talking about me, so let's get something straight:

I've been from Boston to California, through the south to Atlanta and up north to Canada... I've seen more places by the age of 16 than most people have during their college years. No, I'm not in a "bubble" and I'm not even liberal.

I didn't say Fort Worth leans left, I'm saying it's more moderate than anything. It's no San Francisco, but I don't agree with people thinking that it's just a larger Oklahoma City. Maybe if this was 15 years ago, I'd agree, but NOW... hell no!

Of course Fort Worth, like every other city in this state, is fiscally conservative, but socially and politically, it's more in the middle and has been for quite some time. If you spend time in the Near Southside, TCU area, West 7th/Cultural District, East FW, and the near northside, it's not as conservative as you'd probably expect or (for some of you) would want it to be.

As for Houston, I don't think that a true conservative city would vote for an openly lesbian mayor TWICE...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 05:00 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I take it you're talking about me, so let's get something straight:

I've been from Boston to California, through the south to Atlanta and up north to Canada... I've seen more places by the age of 16 than most people have during their college years. No, I'm not in a "bubble" and I'm not even liberal.

I didn't say Fort Worth leans left, I'm saying it's more moderate than anything. It's no San Francisco, but I don't agree with people thinking that it's just a larger Oklahoma City. Maybe if this was 15 years ago, I'd agree, but NOW... hell no!

Of course Fort Worth, like every other city in this state, is fiscally conservative, but socially and politically, it's more in the middle and has been for quite some time. If you spend time in the Near Southside, TCU area, West 7th/Cultural District, East FW, and the near northside, it's not as conservative as you'd probably expect or (for some of you) would want it to be.

As for Houston, I don't think that a true conservative city would vote for an openly lesbian mayor TWICE...
It's no use; many of those people are too confused and clouded in their judgement to realize these realities. No one with even the slightest iota of advanced reasoning would name Houston, or Dallas as conservative cities, let along have them in the top ten.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:52 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
It's because they really believe Austin is the only democratic and/or liberal city in the state of Texas and they couldn't possibly believe a city like Dallas and Houston could ever stray away from the right. Basically preconceived crap thrown on the wall.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:54 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,362 times
Nashville is conservative for metro its size but socially its more liberal and welcoming than people think. It is politically conservative but its not that socially conservative anymore.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:19 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,893,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It's because they really believe Austin is the only democratic and/or liberal city in the state of Texas and they couldn't possibly believe a city like Dallas and Houston could ever stray away from the right. Basically preconceived crap thrown on the wall.
It's one thing when people outside of Texas do that. I mean, you can at least understand that.

It's worse when other Texans do it. Then they have the nerve to tell you that you're the one "in a bubble"...

It ain't 1965 anymore.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Oklahoma City is very conservative! If you go to any restaurant that has a TV, chances are it will be on Fox news. Our governor would not even meet Obama when he first came to Oklahoma, she said she was having her hair done and couldn't change the appointment! The Oklahoma City newspaper, "The Daily Oklahoman" is known to be the most conservative newspaper in the United States. They are known for running editorials on the front page. I have never been in a city more conservative than Oklahoma City.
Unfortunately it's boring as heck here too.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:59 PM

82 posts, read 88,337 times
I agree that Nashville's burbs are pretty red. I grew up in the city and burbs my whole life. Particularly the north and south burbs are red.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:23 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Indianapolis
Tampa
Cincinnati
Phoenix
Dallas
Houston
Oklahoma City
Jacksonville
Salt Lake City
Des Moines

Old 12-23-2015, 03:55 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,148,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Indianapolis
Tampa
Cincinnati
Phoenix
Dallas
Houston
Oklahoma City
Jacksonville
Salt Lake City
Des Moines
Indy is moderate, almost a 50-50 split with the north and east sides being more "liberal" while the south and west side more "conservative." Dems hold a slight edge on the CCC with a dem elect mayor. Even outgoing rep Ballard is rino as he is very liberal in action.

How you come up with Indy being the most conservative must be voodoo magic as the numbers just do not add up.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:26 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
^^ same with the city of Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Indianapolis
Tampa
Cincinnati
Phoenix
Dallas
Houston
Oklahoma City
Jacksonville
Salt Lake City
Des Moines
After all the information that was shared, you still lost Dallas (especially) and Houston? I don't get that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City