Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 09:57 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,172,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
It would be like a Boston-DC Olympics. Completely insane distances, even if there were some bullet train.

Then how would you get from the bullet train to all the spread out venues? It would be crazy.
Perfect excuse for a round of massive infrastructure investment program in both cities, especially SF. BART, Caltrain, Muni could all use a complete revamp along with some additional lines. I mean, I guess you could build those infrastructure with or without a Summer Olympics, but a large international event with a set deadline will most definitely speed things up (federal/state funding, construction timeline, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 10:19 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Perfect excuse for a round of massive infrastructure investment program in both cities, especially SF. BART, Caltrain, Muni could all use a complete revamp along with some additional lines. I mean, I guess you could build those infrastructure with or without a Summer Olympics, but a large international event with a set deadline will most definitely speed things up (federal/state funding, construction timeline, etc.)
Or much better yet, don't bid, and save megabillions.

Why would someone spend all this money for a two week sports event? Makes no sense. Infrastructure needs have nothing to do with a sporting event.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:42 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
While Sydney, Beijing, Vancouver, and London became some of the best and most watched games ever held. And let's hold off for a bit on Rio 2016. We aren't even there yet and you are already declaring it a "disaster"? So you telling me by using a selective historical sample size of Sochi and Athens (sample size = 2), that Rio 2016 will somehow mirror what happened in past events based on a simple correlation with past failed host cities (not statistical causation)?
Oh shut it.

No Cookies | Fox Sports

Sailboats protest Rio Olympic construction with black flags | Jamestown Sun

Brazil corruption probe threatens Rio Olympics preparations

Haha Brazilians are already OVER the Rio Olympics.
Brazilians have reason to protest the cost of Olympics and World Cup - The Globe and Mail

Quote:
I think I've a better proposal, and I think many on C-D would share similar sentiments: let SF and the Bay area host all Summer Olympics for eternity. I mean, all other Olympic host cities like London and Beijing and Tokyo are just such complete dumps, how dare they raised their heads and had the gals to bid for the Olympics in the first place.
Yawns.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:48 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Meh, they'll be jubilant in Rio when the Olympics are actually happening. This protesting happens pretty much every Olympic game in modern times and then gets drowned out by the fanfare once you approach the games themselves. I'm not sure if Rio really will differ on this one.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:52 AM

Can't stand to witness a little flaw in your logic, so you tell others to "shut it"? Wow, a new low.

Oh yes the scary news articles about the impending doom of Rio 2016. Funny, when I typed in the key words "Rio + Olympics + Corruption + Protest" in Google News search I found an eerily similar list of articles like the ones you posted. The mind sees what it chooses to see, is it not? But let's put that selective Google sampling aside for a bit.

So you base your whole premise on a few carefully selected articles on how Rio 2016 will be a disaster? If I remember correctly, there was also a torrential flood of articles and reports in the run up to Beijing 2008 - pollution, poor human rights, massive corruption poorly constructed stadium, congestion, etc. etc. - the exact same issues you pointed out. Yet Beijing 2008 became one of the most grand spectacles and most well-organized games in history. So what are you now, a fortune teller?

I know. That was intended for a yawn. Thanks.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Can't stand to witness a little flaw in your logic, so you tell others to "shut it"? Wow, a new low.

Oh yes the scary news articles about the impending doom of Rio 2016. Funny, when I typed in the key words "Rio + Olympics + Corruption + Protest" in Google News search I found an eerily similar list of articles like the ones you posted. The mind sees what it chooses to see, is it not? But let's put that selective Google sampling aside for a bit.

So you base your whole premise on a few carefully selected articles on how Rio 2016 will be a disaster? If I remember correctly, there was also a torrential flood of articles and reports in the run up to Beijing 2008 - pollution, poor human rights, massive corruption poorly constructed stadium, congestion, etc. etc. - the exact same issues you pointed out. Yet Beijing 2008 became one of the most grand spectacles and most well-organized games in history. So what are you now, a fortune teller?

I know. That was intended for a yawn. Thanks.
No, there is no "flaw" in anyone's logic Juan Carlos Samaranch. Lol.

Developing nations not named China just dont have the wherewithall to do this. Sorry.

And as far as Brazil, my adopted 2nd home, I certainly hope the games are a success, but they will be a gigantic money pit for the Brazilian govt, the infrastructure is way behind schedule, and Brazilians are definitely over it.

Hopefully it wont be as bad as Sochi.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No, there is no "flaw" in anyone's logic Juan Carlos Samaranch. Lol.

Developing nations not named China just dont have the wherewithall to do this. Sorry.

And as far as Brazil, my adopted 2nd home, I certainly hope the games are a success, but they will be a gigantic money pit for the Brazilian govt, the infrastructure is way behind schedule, and Brazilians are definitely over it.

Hopefully it wont be as bad as Sochi.
I see that Brazil has suddenly become your "adopted 2nd home" after SF, Zurich, and what else? This is good.

Old 08-07-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I see that Brazil has suddenly become your "adopted 2nd home" after SF, Zurich, and what else? This is good.
Yes, Iots of places. Why?

Old 08-07-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, Iots of places. Why?
Oh you know, morbid curiosity.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:30 PM

8,496 posts, read 4,555,950 times
We don't need the Olympics in the Boston area. We are not some place out to sacrifice fiscal responsibility in order to make a mark on the international scene. Boston, by virtue of its history, arts, culture, science, industry, hospitals, and universities already do that.

It should be no surprise that the public in the greater Boston area were not willing to pay exorbitant sums to host a sports event. Massachusetts, though it may be sports crazed, is probably only area in the US with all its major league sports teams playing in privately owned venues that were built with no direct public monies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City