Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 06:46 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,109,900 times

Advertisements

Larry Baer (SF Giants CEO), who is one of the Bay Area Olympics committees' main spokesmen, just said on CSN Bay Area that he thinks the best and only way the U.S. gets the Olympics in 2024 is a SF - LA joint bid. He said it was just his own opinion, and doesn't know if SF or LA would agree to it.

I see there are a bunch of articles from yesterday about a possible joint bid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 08:17 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Larry Baer (SF Giants CEO), who is one of the Bay Area Olympics committees' main spokesmen, just said on CSN Bay Area that he thinks the best and only way the U.S. gets the Olympics in 2024 is a SF - LA joint bid. He said it was just his own opinion, and doesn't know if SF or LA would agree to it.

Interesting...

Old 07-30-2015, 04:52 PM

3 posts, read 2,340 times
A CA bid would probably give USOC the best chance of winning over other competing cities. LA alone is unlikely to win out over the European cities while the Bay Area alone is unlikely going to have the public support.

csnbayarea.com/giants/usoc-exploring-possible-sf-la-joint-2024-olympics-bid

Old 07-30-2015, 05:49 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
From my understanding, the IOC does not like joint bids.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:33 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Silence, still, on any efforts by Washington to land the Olympics - Washington Business Journal

“It is clear to us that they are headed to California in 2024. Not sure what city yet,” one person directly familiar with the discussions of Washington 2024 told the Post. “But the reason is, as it appears to us, is that some committee members — and it really does just appear to be a handful — continue to view Washington as the negative face of American politics.”

We better not bid again for this ever in my opinion. Why entertain people who don't like you? I feel like we need to acknowledge when we are disliked and stay away from those events. Why speak to people who hate you? SMH.....

Old 08-07-2015, 09:19 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belindataylor View Post
A CA bid would probably give USOC the best chance of winning over other competing cities. LA alone is unlikely to win out over the European cities while the Bay Area alone is unlikely going to have the public support.

csnbayarea.com/giants/usoc-exploring-possible-sf-la-joint-2024-olympics-bid
Los Angeles most certainly could beat European cities. Why wouldnt it? It's larger than any European city and has amenities and climate that are enviable.

I rather question the judgement of the IOC. Sochi and Athens were boondoggles and Rio is destined to be a disaster.

Are the Olympics even worthy of Los Angeles or the United States for that matter? Im thinking not really at this point.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:26 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Los Angeles most certainly could beat European cities. Why wouldnt it? It's larger than any European city and has amenities and climate that are enviable.

I rather question the judgement of the IOC. Sochi and Athens were boondoggles and Rio is destined to be a disaster.

Are the Olympics even worthy of Los Angeles or the United States for that matter? Im thinking not really at this point.
While Sydney, Beijing, Vancouver, and London became some of the best and most watched games ever held. And let's hold off for a bit on Rio 2016. We aren't even there yet and you are already declaring it a "disaster"? So you telling me by using a selective historical sample size of Sochi and Athens (sample size = 2), that Rio 2016 will somehow mirror what happened in past events based on a simple correlation with past failed host cities (not statistical causation)?

I think I've a better proposal, and I think many on C-D would share similar sentiments: let SF and the Bay area host all Summer Olympics for eternity. I mean, all other Olympic host cities like London and Beijing and Tokyo are just such complete dumps, how dare they raised their heads and had the gals to bid for the Olympics in the first place.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:41 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post

Given that LA and SF are nowhere close to one another, that makes no sense. Let's have a NYC Toronto Olympics or a London Frankfurt Olympics while we're at it (actually those are probably even closer).

Old 08-07-2015, 09:46 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Given that LA and SF are nowhere close to one another, that makes no sense. Let's have a NYC Toronto Olympics or a London Frankfurt Olympics while we're at it (actually those are probably even closer).
Unless they manage to finish the high speed rail line between the two cities, in record time, before 2024... If they could make that promise then the IOC might just vote in SF-LA's favor in light of a huge infrastructure project.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:50 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Unless they manage to finish the high speed rail line between the two cities, in record time, before 2024... If they could make that promise then the IOC might just vote in SF-LA's favor in light of a huge infrastructure project.
It would be like a Boston-DC Olympics. Completely insane distances, even if there were some bullet train.

Then how would you get from the bullet train to all the spread out venues? It would be crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City