Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most liberal metro among the big 4 in the South
Atlanta 98 32.89%
Miami 160 53.69%
Dallas 15 5.03%
Houston 25 8.39%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 03:18 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,765,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Meh. Protected groups have been and will continue to be discriminated against in every major city in this country. HERO was a tool designed to hitch Houston onto the LGBT bandwagon, since everyone knows that your city can't be seen as progressive unless it's giving gays everything they want.
An example of being conservative, exhibit one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 03:18 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,361,603 times
Quote:
Meh. Protected groups have been and will continue to be discriminated against in every major city in this country. HERO was a tool designed to hitch Houston onto the LGBT bandwagon, since everyone knows that your city can't be seen as progressive unless it's giving gays everything they want.
You mean equal rights? Like, you know, not being fired from a job or evicted from your home just for being gay? It's not an LGBT bandwagon. It's basically the civil rights movement of today. I don't see how anyone can support the idea that people could be fired just for being gay. Or what about not classifying assault/battery/etc. on a gay person as a hate crime? Attacking someone for how they were born is a hate crime. Same as if a black, Muslim, Christian, Jew, Latino, etc. was targeted specifically for who they are. People will always find a way around firing someone who is gay or black or Latino without breaking the law, but these laws at least provide some safeguard to gays not being fired just because they're gay.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:12 PM

37,897 posts, read 42,015,677 times
Quote:
I'm not surprised that you think Carson is the best presidential candidate if that's what you think equal rights ordinances are about.

Sigh...

Old 11-10-2015, 06:43 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,797,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not surprised that you think Carson is the best presidential candidate if that's what you think equal rights ordinances are about.

Sigh...
I'm calling it how I see it, bro. As a black man in this country I still get second class treatment compared to a gay white male. There isn't a single ordinance man can draw up that will stop a black man from being fired because of his skin color, if they really want him gone.

Social media and popular opinion are what's driving this whole thing, and it's the "in" thing to do to be all for gay rights. You can't be a cool or progressive city unless you're following the trend. That's the only reason a city as tolerant and openminded as Houston will be labeled a conservative backwater simply because they want to draw the line somewhere.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
I'm calling it how I see it, bro. As a black man in this country I still get second class treatment compared to a gay white male. There isn't a single ordinance man can draw up that will stop a black man from being fired because of his skin color, if they really want him gone.
So you think such ordinances are only for gay White people? Furthermore, just because we still have issues with race in this country is no justification to not extend rights to other disenfranchised groups. That's horrible logic.

Quote:
Social media and popular opinion are what's driving this whole thing, and it's the "in" thing to do to be all for gay rights. You can't be a cool or progressive city unless you're following the trend. That's the only reason a city as tolerant and openminded as Houston will be labeled a conservative backwater simply because they want to draw the line somewhere.
They said the same thing about civil rights for Black Americans back in the day, so I guess a city like Birmingham would have been your shining star in the 60's. *shrugs*

It's just amazing and absolutely mind-boggling to me that educated Black people are trying to close the door of civil rights behind them. Sad, sad, sad.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
So you think such ordinances are only for gay White people? Furthermore, just because we still have issues with race in this country is no justification to not extend rights to other disenfranchised groups. That's horrible logic.

They said the same thing about civil rights for Black Americans back in the day, so I guess a city like Birmingham would have been your shining star in the 60's. *shrugs*

It's just amazing and absolutely mind-boggling to me that educated, Black people are trying to deny civil rights to others.
I never said anything about denying rights to others. I'm saying that gay rights are all the public cares about right now.

I'll happily hold that door open for all who need it. But yeah, I care more about the rights of veterans than I do some random transgender person. Damn straight I do.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
I never said anything about denying rights to others. I'm saying that gay rights are all the public cares about right now.
Well it's because they have yet to gain basic rights of protection that other groups already have.

Quote:
I'll happily hold that door open for all who need it.
But gay people don't need it....right? And apparently you've drunk the Kool-Aid thinking HERO was simply about transgender folks and bathrooms.

And God forbid that you can care about more than one group at a time.

Did you vote against the ordinance?

Old 11-10-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Well it's because they have yet to gain basic rights of protection that other groups already have.

But gay people don't need it....right? And apparently you've drunk the Kool-Aid thinking HERO was simply about transgender folks and bathrooms.

And God forbid that you can care about more than one group at a time.

Did you vote against the ordinance?
I'm not a resident of Houston, but if I was I would not have voted against it. I wouldn't have cared enough to vote for it.

I think the city voting it down was simply them saying "we don't need this", not "we don't want this".

Old 11-10-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I'm not a resident of Houston, but if I was I would not have voted against it. I wouldn't have cared enough to vote for it.

I think the city voting it down was simply them saying "we don't need this", not "we don't want this".
Hence, Houston is certainly not the most liberal city in the South.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Hence, Houston is certainly not the most liberal city in the South.
On paper, certainly not. I don't think many folks are losing sleep over it, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City