Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most liberal metro among the big 4 in the South
Atlanta 98 32.89%
Miami 160 53.69%
Dallas 15 5.03%
Houston 25 8.39%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 07:21 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
And what you don't tell us is that Houston's HERO already had the language that Dallas City Council was adding.
They've had protections for transgender people since 2002 and the city voted on it in 2014. This is just strengthening it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I never said hetero and I never said gay men officially have more rights. You guys assume A LOT of **** around here.

So will this decision be prompting you to leave the Houston area?
No, I will not be throwing away my career just because a lot of Houston voters are gullible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 12:07 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
It wasn't so much about just taking them in as it was providing massive amounts of resources for sheltering operations, treatment and care, etc for the New Orleans residents. Conservative cities wouldn't give out as much resources to the people as liberal cities, since such social welfare isn't really in conservative viewpoints.
In response to catastrophic events that are beyond any one person's control, conservatives have absolutely no problem with being charitable and generous in such circumstances and I think you're being a bit disingenuous here by characterizing them as cold-hearted individuals with no regard for their fellow Americans who have been so impacted. Again, this has more to do with common decency than political ideology.

Quote:
Complacency, unfortunately, was a trait seen in many Houston area progressives, due to reasons I stated earlier in the thread (SCOTUS ruling, not much social disturbances in the city, etc). The defeat of HERO might have been the needed wake-up call to mobilize the epic amounts of progressive elements Houston has always had.
Understood, but that remains to be seen. Until that time, I simply can't see how Houston tops this list.

Quote:
Like I said, Houston is the only city in the South with a true Pacifica outlet, meaning it is the only city in the South that is receiving such a constant streaming of Berkeley-style liberal ideas. Other affiliates won't be quite the same. Of course there are other sources of progressive ideas, and such sources are seen in many Southern cities, but Houston has Pacifica along with those other sources; thus, Houston has that much more of an accumulation of progressive ideals compared to other Southern cities.
But with relatively low listernership and as evidenced by many other things such as the defeat of HERO, Pacifica's presence doesn't appear to be having a practical uber-liberal effect on the city. And again, other Southern cities have Pacifica affliliates which are in the same vein as the Pacifica-owned stations.

Quote:
I was just saying that the time interval did not specifically outline desegregation for just public facilities; it just gave it out for desegregation throughout the city in general. Not that it invalidates your overlying point.
No matter; the overall timeline was essentially the same for Houston, Atlanta, and a few other cities.

Quote:
Alright, maybe not violence, as in having actual fisticuffs, but those actions in Atlanta, for the reasons you described, would have been more dynamic, significant, and accompanied with greater tension, compared to those events in Houston. Thus, my theory (on why Houston is so complacent) still holds, meaning that my master argument (that innately, Atlanta, Dallas, and even Miami, aren't more liberal than Houston) still stands...

Liberalism can be gauged just by innate feelings alone; just simple talking with the citizens of the city, for instance allows the visitors to be exposed to such innate feelings, allowing them to then make a judgement on the liberalness of the city, based on the amount of passion displayed in the conversations.

If there are feelings, but no actual practice, and yet the citizens feel strongly for such practice, what is present, rather than plain indifference, is complacency; the citizens though that their victory was assured no matter what (which, of course, was a miscalculation). However, now Houstonians know better; the present reality is that this recent defeat of HERO just made the lava start bubbling in the proverbial volcano that is Houston's progressive action.
This "innate" argument really amounts to little to nothing in real life. Outside of stuff that actually gets done, it is of no real-world consequence. This is why people keep saying that what this essentially amounts to is libertarianism; let people feel the way they want to feel and think the way they want to think, but keep government out of it. Even as Gunion Powder said who is or used to be a Houston-area resident, he wouldn't have cared enough to vote either for HERO or against it. That indifferent contingent coupled with those who were motivated to vote against it significantly outnumber those who were motivated to vote for it.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:09 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,925,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
They've had protections for transgender people since 2002 and the city voted on it in 2014. This is just strengthening it.
And strengthening you are speaking of was already drafted on HERO in the first place. It isn't anything that is revolutionary in terms of services to the citizens among Texas cities.

Quote:
No, I will not be throwing away my career just because a lot of Houston voters are gullible.
Yes, and the progressive, true Houstonians know it; that's why Annise Parker is trying to come up with a new one before the end of her term.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
In response to catastrophic events that are beyond any one person's control, conservatives have absolutely no problem with being charitable and generous in such circumstances and I think you're being a bit disingenuous here by characterizing them as cold-hearted individuals with no regard for their fellow Americans who have been so impacted. Again, this has more to do with common decency than political ideology.
I am not saying that conservatives won't be charitable and generous; plenty are. I am just saying that the innate ideologies they have in comparison to liberals would cause them not to provide as much social services, benefits, etc.

This was a factor in why the Bush Administration was criticized during the time period:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critic...ricane_Katrina

Also, stuff like this:
Religious conservatives claim Katrina was God's omen, punishment for the United States | Research | Media Matters for America
Hurricane Katrina: An Indictment of Conservative Government - Progress Michigan

Check out some of the responses to this Houston forum thread detailing the 10th anniversary of Katrina:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...thank-you.html

Quote:
Understood, but that remains to be seen. Until that time, I simply can't see how Houston tops this list.
Don't worry, you will see. In the meantime, first hand experience of this progressive mobilization can be garnered just from a simple walk on the streets of inner Houston. Talk to people, and you will see.

Quote:
But with relatively low listernership and as evidenced by many other things such as the defeat of HERO, Pacifica's presence doesn't appear to be having a practical uber-liberal effect on the city. And again, other Southern cities have Pacifica affliliates which are in the same vein as the Pacifica-owned stations.
There is still enough of a clout influenced by Pacifca in Houston to produce meaningful results, in terms of extending progressive influence throughout the city; not everyone in the city needs to be influenced, but if enough are, those people take it from there, and spread the word. That's how it works. Pacifica affiliates are great for this as well, but with Pacifica, you are getting the full 100%.

The volcano is about to erupt; everyday I walk in Houston, since the election night, I can literally feel the aura of progressiveness, and call for change throughout the city. You see, the effects of ideas, such as those from Pacifica, don't always start out dramatic; they begin insidiously, festering in minds of many, and before you know it, policies are pushed, all in a sense of passion.

Quote:
No matter; the overall timeline was essentially the same for Houston, Atlanta, and a few other cities.
Fair enough.

Quote:
This "innate" argument really amounts to little to nothing in real life. Outside of stuff that actually gets done, it is of no real-world consequence. This is why people keep saying that what this essentially amounts to is libertarianism; let people feel the way they want to feel and think the way they want to think, but keep government out of it. Even as Gunion Powder said who is or used to be a Houston-area resident, he wouldn't have cared enough to vote either for HERO or against it. That indifferent contingent coupled with those who were motivated to vote against it significantly outnumber those who were motivated to vote for it.
No mate, you aren't getting it.

1.) Innate feelings manifest in real life, in the form of grass-roots mobilizations, the sense of passion amongst the populace (especially as you talk to them), the ideas that pass two and fro, etc. There are ways a city can be seen is liberal beyond just the passage of policies.

2.) You, once again, are confusing complacency with indifference; with a landmark decision like the SCOTUS ruling fresh in the minds of many, I'm sure many activists would have thought the war was drawing to a close, and victory was assured. Such over-confidence led to many young progressive minded individuals in Houston thinking the passage was assured; the outcome of the election proves the fallacy in that thinking (which I don't dispute). This isn't the same as indifference, which would be completely not caring for the matter; many did care, but, for multiple (and understandable) reasons, did not turn up to vote.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I am not saying that conservatives won't be charitable and generous; plenty are. I am just saying that the innate ideologies they have in comparison to liberals would cause them not to provide as much social services, benefits, etc.

This was a factor in why the Bush Administration was criticized during the time period:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critic...ricane_Katrina

Also, stuff like this:
Religious conservatives claim Katrina was God's omen, punishment for the United States | Research | Media Matters for America
Hurricane Katrina: An Indictment of Conservative Government - Progress Michigan

Check out some of the responses to this Houston forum thread detailing the 10th anniversary of Katrina:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...thank-you.html
This is beyond reaching here...just beyond.

What your average (fiscal) conservative has a problem with is big government, permanent entitlement programs, not programs related to disaster relief. And before you go posting a bunch of articles about how some Republican congressmen voted against Hurricane Sandy relief or whatever, I'm talking about your average conservative citizen, not a politician playing Washington politics.

Again, taking in displaced residents from a massive natural disaster has everything to do with common human decency and little to nothing to do with political ideology. Heck I'm not even a conservative and I find your insinuations pretty offensive.

Quote:
Don't worry, you will see. In the meantime, first hand experience of this progressive mobilization can be garnered just from a simple walk on the streets of inner Houston. Talk to people, and you will see...

There is still enough of a clout influenced by Pacifca in Houston to produce meaningful results, in terms of extending progressive influence throughout the city; not everyone in the city needs to be influenced, but if enough are, those people take it from there, and spread the word. That's how it works. Pacifica affiliates are great for this as well, but with Pacifica, you are getting the full 100%.

The volcano is about to erupt; everyday I walk in Houston, since the election night, I can literally feel the aura of progressiveness, and call for change throughout the city. You see, the effects of ideas, such as those from Pacifica, don't always start out dramatic; they begin insidiously, festering in minds of many, and before you know it, policies are pushed, all in a sense of passion.

No mate, you aren't getting it.

1.) Innate feelings manifest in real life, in the form of grass-roots mobilizations, the sense of passion amongst the populace (especially as you talk to them), the ideas that pass two and fro, etc. There are ways a city can be seen is liberal beyond just the passage of policies.

2.) You, once again, are confusing complacency with indifference; with a landmark decision like the SCOTUS ruling fresh in the minds of many, I'm sure many activists would have thought the war was drawing to a close, and victory was assured. Such over-confidence led to many young progressive minded individuals in Houston thinking the passage was assured; the outcome of the election proves the fallacy in that thinking (which I don't dispute). This isn't the same as indifference, which would be completely not caring for the matter; many did care, but, for multiple (and understandable) reasons, did not turn up to vote.
All I'm reading here is wishes and dreams with "When You Wish Upon a Star" playing in the background. As I said before, until whatever potential there is in Houston is actualized, it does not top this list. Point blank, period.

The funny thing here is that after you've graduated and moved on from Houston, you'll look back and wonder why in the world you rode so hard for a city you have little actual ties to.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:17 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:

Again, taking in displaced residents from a massive natural disaster has everything to do with common human decency and little to nothing to do with political ideology. Heck I'm not even a conservative and I find your insinuations pretty offensive.
Natural disaster, yeah they'll take you. Refugee coming to escape cartel violence from American drug policy, deportation and TRUMP 2016.
Veterans Day, they share all the memes on Facebook and tell their uncle thanks. A Vietnam vet is sitting under a freeway, they'll be the first to scream about bootstraps and personal responsibility.

Is your experience different?

Old 11-12-2015, 10:35 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,843,122 times
Quote:
Please tell me how Houston is more liberal than Dallas again:

Dallas City Council Strengthens Non-Discrimination Protections for Transgender People | Freedom for All Americans

The voters already put a non-discrimination in place and now the council is strengthening it.

And to the poster saying that a black hetreo man has less rights than a white gay man, no way on earth.
Interesting enough Houston voted no to expand anti discrimination against transgender people. A big chunk of the demographics in Houston that voted no to the ordinance were black. It's a myth that Houston city limits is somehow more liberal than Dallas. Not by a long shot.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/11/04...sure.html?_r=0

Old 11-13-2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Interesting enough Houston voted no to expand anti discrimination against transgender people. A big chunk of the demographics in Houston that voted no to the ordinance were black. It's a myth that Houston city limits is somehow more liberal than Dallas. Not by a long shot.

I've not seen any sources that broke down the "no" vote by race, so where are you getting this from?

Old 11-13-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
This is beyond reaching here...just beyond.

What your average (fiscal) conservative has a problem with is big government, permanent entitlement programs, not programs related to disaster relief. And before you go posting a bunch of articles about how some Republican congressmen voted against Hurricane Sandy relief or whatever, I'm talking about your average conservative citizen, not a politician playing Washington politics.

And the overall kind of help that is given out to those displaced residents has everything to do with political ideology

Quote:
All I'm reading here is wishes and dreams with "When You Wish Upon a Star" playing in the background. As I said before, until whatever potential there is in Houston is actualized, it does not top this list. Point blank, period.
Nope, what you are seeing is reality playing out. You suggest that practiced policies are the ONLY way to determine the liberalism of a city. Meanwhile, I am just pointing out yet another way liberalism can be determined, through innate feeling.

Quote:
The funny thing here is that after you've graduated and moved on from Houston, you'll look back and wonder why in the world you rode so hard for a city you have little actual ties to.
If you say so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post

Not a myth, but a reality.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
And the overall kind of help that is given out to those displaced residents has everything to do with political ideology
No, it absolutely does not. People of all political persuasions are generous in times of disaster. Deep down you know this but you're being argumentative on this point for the sake of the topic.

Quote:
Nope, what you are seeing is reality playing out. You suggest that practiced policies are the ONLY way to determine the liberalism of a city. Meanwhile, I am just pointing out yet another way liberalism can be determined, through innate feeling.
Policies are the only OBJECTIVE way the liberalism of a city can be determined. Liberalism is a POLITICAL philosophy; thus POLICIES are the only true determinant of liberalism. "Innate feeling" is amorphous, highly subjective, and intangible.

Quote:
If you say so.
Mark my words. You're young and have yet to experience other cities and parts of the country as an adult. After you gain some firsthand, real-world perspective beyond Houston, you'll remember exactly what I said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City