Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most liberal metro among the big 4 in the South
Atlanta 98 32.89%
Miami 160 53.69%
Dallas 15 5.03%
Houston 25 8.39%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 08:14 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,796,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Blacks as a whole are socially conservative, but Blacks in Atlanta are liberal AF compared to other Black communities in not just the south but even some up north. I don't even see how this is even up for debate in 2016. Everyone knows Atlanta has a high gay population, but the attitude of straight people towards gay people is very open in Atlanta. It's not even an issue really or something that is given a second thought. No one cares. That's my mindset. And it wasn't until I was in my mid 20s and had lived in and visited Black communities in other cities did I realize that decent number of us don't think like that. A lot more Black people in Atlanta are into alternative religions and just alternative lifestyles overall than alot of those other cities you mentioned too. Lot of normal round the way AA brothers in Atlanta into stuff like Ifa, Wicca, even Satanic workship. You see stuff that is similar to Ifa in NYC and Miami but that's because of the large West Indian influence, in Atlanta it's mostly AA's into it. Also you got stuff like the sovereign citizen movement which is everywhere really but it's definitely a thing in Atlanta. Every hood in the A got that crazy family in it that home schools and births all their children at home because they don't want them to have SSNs and all that other crazy stuff. As wild as it sounds running across people like this in Atlanta while no where near the majority, is not uncommon either. And I thought that was normal until I left the city and starting exploring Black communities in places like Chicago and Charlotte.
You forgot about the guy with long dreads rubbing cocoa butter all over his kid on MARTA

*(Every other man in Atlanta with dreads thinks he's a guru)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 10:04 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,232,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
If you had included Raleigh-Cary-Durham in your selection, that is probably the most liberal major city in the south. Your options in order go Miami, Atlanta, and then um Dallas and Houston meteos are not liberal at all. Id agree here with the consensus that Dallas is the furthest though. Also assumed you meant metros and not city proper. Gradually all four are becoming more liberal as time goes by.

This is right on!

Old 12-21-2016, 10:43 AM

530 posts, read 638,356 times
By official metro areas I don't think anywhere in the South can beat the Durham-Chapel Hill metro. I know it isn't an option, but I think it would be the actual answer to this question.

Quote:
If you had included Raleigh-Cary-Durham in your selection, that is probably the most liberal major city in the south.
While Raleigh-Cary half of the triangle CSA is blue of course, it isn't overwhelming so. The western half of the triangle is significantly more progressive than the eastern half.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:28 PM

570 posts, read 561,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Austin doesn't seem as wild or unique as New Orleans. Not saying that it's not unique because it is but I think everything about New Orleans is more unique when compared to Austin. Accents, food, religion, history, architecture are all stark differences. Austin generally has the same food, accents, religious patterns, architecture, as other parts of Texas. Nothing in Louisiana really looks, sounds, or eats like NO.
I agree, New Orleans is far different from Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Shreveport. Than say Austin is to Dallas, Houston and Fort Worth since most Texas cities are diverse. Austin really isn't no different. I would argue San Antonio being more different from the rest of Texas cities.

San Antonio would be the New Orleans of Texas.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:18 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,102,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
You forgot about the guy with long dreads rubbing cocoa butter all over his kid on MARTA

*(Every other man in Atlanta with dreads thinks he's a guru)
Lmao. I missed that dude bro. Back when I rode the train everyday I used to always see the brother with the huge bugged out eyes who would do a dead on singing impression of Marvin Gaye or the short lady that didn't have a tongue who would yell at you but then get mad when you couldn't understand what she was saying. Lol

Old 12-22-2016, 12:19 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,120,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicAries View Post
I agree, New Orleans is far different from Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Shreveport. Than say Austin is to Dallas, Houston and Fort Worth since most Texas cities are diverse. Austin really isn't no different. I would argue San Antonio being more different from the rest of Texas cities.

San Antonio would be the New Orleans of Texas.
All of the Texas cities have their unique aspects, but San Antonio arguably feels the most different out of the group.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:25 PM

9,687 posts, read 9,418,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
All of the Texas cities have their unique aspects, but San Antonio arguably feels the most different out of the group.
I think El Paso is the most unique.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:14 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,306,637 times
HERO's failure, followed by Trump's election, two shocking conservative wins a year apart. The HERO failure may very well have represented the beginning of the "white lash" responsible for such results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA9aSvHzEIU

Old 12-30-2017, 07:42 PM

222 posts, read 282,405 times
Dallas easy

Old 12-30-2017, 08:55 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,423,021 times
Definitely not Dallas...

And that’s not a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City