Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most liberal metro among the big 4 in the South
Atlanta 98 32.89%
Miami 160 53.69%
Dallas 15 5.03%
Houston 25 8.39%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 10:54 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,798,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Gentrification is a big part of it. The issues spoken of in the articles aren't unique to Austin except perhaps the one dealing with city council representation, and as that article noted, rectifying that issue doesn't solve much because Blacks have been pouring out of the city to the suburbs for a little while now.

What seems to be the issue here is that Austin is a big tech city, which is an industry in which Blacks are woefully underrepresented overall; this is why the Bay Area is experiencing a similar phenomenon.

And this information from the city's website suggests that Austin's Black population, at its highest in the post-era, comprised 15% of the overall population. That's not much at all: https://www.austintexas.gov/page/top...s-austin-texas
I know it has to be higher than 15%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 11:23 AM

37,901 posts, read 42,041,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I know it has to be higher than 15%.
If you can find the stats, let me know.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:30 AM

20,523 posts, read 33,586,635 times
I found this.
An End Both Slow and Urgent: Blackness in Austin | The End of Austin

It was near 20% in the 1920s and has been declining ever since. Keep in mind that in 1920, Austin's population was less than 35,000.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:11 AM

16 posts, read 16,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Well even Miami's metro counties in Broward & Palm Beach are solidly Democratic blue and the most Liberal part of the state. You can't even say that about Atlanta and it's surrounding counties or the two Texas cities outlying suburbs.
All of Atlanta's suburban counties went blue in 2016.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:35 AM

71 posts, read 61,152 times
This is a strange poll because. The internationals that come from the Caribbean are conservative. The Jamaicans, Haitians, Cubans hold very conservative values.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:45 AM

37,901 posts, read 42,041,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xocyll View Post
All of Atlanta's suburban counties went blue in 2016.
Not all, but all of the core counties did plus four others.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:35 PM

9,689 posts, read 9,429,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Gentrification is a big part of it. The issues spoken of in the articles aren't unique to Austin except perhaps the one dealing with city council representation, and as that article noted, rectifying that issue doesn't solve much because Blacks have been pouring out of the city to the suburbs for a little while now.

What seems to be the issue here is that Austin is a big tech city, which is an industry in which Blacks are woefully underrepresented overall; this is why the Bay Area is experiencing a similar phenomenon.

And this information from the city's website suggests that Austin's Black population, at its highest in the post-era, comprised 15% of the overall population. That's not much at all: https://www.austintexas.gov/page/top...s-austin-texas
Smh...

Old 11-19-2016, 10:00 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,366,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypaws11 View Post
This is a strange poll because. The internationals that come from the Caribbean are conservative. The Jamaicans, Haitians, Cubans hold very conservative values.
They do, but there are so many transplants in the area from liberal parts of the country. Tons of liberal Jews from the CT/NY/NJ/PA region moving there. Lots of gays in Miami Beach still.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:29 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,792,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
They do, but there are so many transplants in the area from liberal parts of the country. Tons of liberal Jews from the CT/NY/NJ/PA region moving there. Lots of gays in Miami Beach still.
But you can say this about most major cities in the south as well. Houston and Dallas might not get as many liberals from the northeast as Miami does but it does get more from the west coast.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:47 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,366,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
But you can say this about most major cities in the south as well. Houston and Dallas might not get as many liberals from the northeast as Miami does but it does get more from the west coast.
Not saying you're wrong. Because I've never claimed to be an expert on Dallas or Houston. However, from my experience, most Californians moving to Texas are those escaping the liberalism and the higher taxes. They're generally looking for someone to afford a home and raise a family in the suburbs and they don't always agree with the liberal politics of California. Then again, I know a few who have made the move who are also very liberal and live in the more central urban parts of Dallas. Houston not so much. Idk anyone from California that's moved there honestly. Almost always Dallas or Austin.

The people moving to Miami are often people who like partying and letting loose on the weekends more so than people in other cities. Not saying they're all party animals, but that vibe attracts a different type of person. More liberal in the original sense of just being free and living your life. That's the younger crowd. The older crowd is often Jewish New Yorkers. I say this as a Jew with tons of family in NY/CT and friends in NJ/PA. Our grandparents love moving to South Florida and they're overwhelmingly liberal. Jewish grandparents aren't like most grandparents, trust me. They expect you to be a good doctor/lawyer/accountant and to marry a nice Jewish boy/girl, but they're very liberal and accepting and vote overwhelmingly Democratic. Jews ARE the #1 most liberal demographic in America.

NY Jews are not moving to Texas. NY Jews are moving to South Florida, Atlanta, and North Carolina. Atlanta is my second choice on this list after Miami. The movement to NC hasn't been going on as long as it has been to Miami and Atlanta, but it's picking up and we see how both NC and GA are becoming key states to watch out for in terms of Presidential elections.

Again, not claiming to be an expert on Dallas or Houston. Just my experiences. The more liberal people I know move to Miami. The more moderate and family/business-oriented people from California tend to move to Dallas. Just saying what I've seen. Take it FWIW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City