Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which can endure better living in?
Chicago Cold Season 87 50.88%
Houston Heat Season 84 49.12%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 06:13 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,285,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Florida has no jobs, and it's the third largest state. North Dakota on the other hand had no people before, so it's easy for it to have the highest in-migration rate however Florida gets more people period.

Look at the Pew Research Study I linked to, 2 to 1 Americans prefer hot, with those cities being SanDiego, Tampa, Orlando in that order (Tampa is tied with San Diego). For the 1/3 of Americans who prefer cold, the list is Denver, Seattle and Portland. Not really "cold" cities in the same vain as Chicago. But enjoy your state, someone has to.
You constantly BERATE other Posters. You need to also BERATE CHICAGO. Your home Country in Europe. Also has Winters. BERATE ITS CITIES vs ROME and ATHENS. IN CLIMATE.

But I give it to you. They keep responding to you civilly and YOU ARE ALLOWED TO BELITTLED their comments. I mean of all the topics on C-D? I can't believe it goes on as it has... you vs the rest who keep responding. KNOWING YOU WILL HAVE SOME SPURIOUS REPLY.

Your intent is far more a need to go against Chicago. Then weather. A pattern of replies where YOU DO NOT COMPROMISE. Or just won't budge and must be right. (my opinion yes)

To you the vote should all be against Chicago and for Houston. But the VOTE IS A VIRTUAL TIE. So PREFERENCES ARE PERSONAL AS SO MANY KEEP TELLING YOU? LET IT SINK IN ALREADY. REALLY I DO NOT THINK, YOU WOULD EVEN HAVE VISITED THE THREAD? IF IT WAS MINNEAPOLIS WINTERS VS HOUSTON SUMMERS? BECAUSE You really have NO aim to defend HOUSTON. IT IS FAR MORE TO BERATE CHICAGO.

You would BERATE HOUSTON With the continued little respect for others opinions. It up against your Miami. Seen it so many threads where you insist Miami HAS NO OTHER CITY OF EQUAL OR TO SURPASS IT.... BUT FOR NYC.

But will probably be me told about this post? But I stand by my opinion expressed here and I ACCEPT OTHERS HAVE A RIGHT TO THEIR PREFERENCE .

Really calling others Liars and other names? Is uncalled for.....over mere preferences.

You FORGET SNOWBIRDS TO FLORIDA (or Texas to the West Coast) IN WINTER. RETURN TO THEIR NORTHERN CITIES IN SUMMER.... WHY? BECAUSE THEY PREFER THE NORTHERN CITIES IN SUMMER. THAT INCLUDES CHICAGO'S SHARE OF SNOWBIRDS LOL.

Some threads comments are interesting and entertaining. But not when insults and "how dare one chose and prefer"..... the choice? You then mock and their intelligence to chose? As to why they did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 06:52 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,141,316 times
As a 20+ year veteran, I will say that Houston weather does indeed suck. Summers are a soupy, swampy, humid mess. And yes, even nights are uncomfortably sweaty and buggy. Pop-up humidity showers are common all summer and exacerbate the steam bath. Air quality is awful, as is water quality from places like the poorly named Clear Lake all the way down to about a mile offshore in Galveston--it's thick, brown chocolate milk surf that is warmed to almost body temperature, making the sensation something akin to being in diarrhea water.

That said, for weather, I'll take a steamy, unpleasant Houston summer over a horribly cold Chicago winter 10 times out of 10--no matter how much more I like the far superior urban amenities of Chicago.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:22 PM

125 posts, read 206,557 times
Houston summer is miles and miles better that being frozen in a Chicago winter. From an ecological point of view, Chicago burns and poisons the ground by dumping thousands of tons of salt every single forsaken winter month(burns and kills plants). This also shamefully rusts vehicles inside and out.

Winters in Chicago can be hazardous to one's heath, did you know that heating oil furnaces and heaters in general, generate air and breathing toxicity indoors, while AC units do not.
Houston weather enables horticulture year around and with a vast array of plants and fruits that the Chicago weather climate can only dream about. Right now I am harvesting, tomatoes, figs, lemons, peaches and oranges, not to mention my several types of beans, don't forget my avocados. By Fall I will be harvesting potatoes, yams, corn and sunflower seeds.
I can work on my car in the middle of summer in Houston with no problem as long as I have shade, God forbid the thought to just opening the hood of my car in the middle of the winter in Chicago when it's 10 below, and the the roads as well as the cars are loaded with snow and ice, no thanks.

In the summer in Houston, I can ride my bike in the morning and by noon I can jump into the pool while fajitas and some cold beer await me nearby.
By the way I have never ever thought of spending my vacation in the middle of a Chicago winter when the ground is frozen solid covered by ice and snow, when the skies are dark and grey, when sunlight is no more, no thanks. I do not need SAD induced illnesses. I'll spend my vacation in Houston instead!

Old 07-10-2015, 08:57 PM

^^^^ Really do YOU VACATION IN HOUSTON? Or live in or near Houston? Nobody vacations in Winter in a Big city BECAUSE OF...AND FOR ITS WINTER LOL. But there are plenty of reasons to visit a Big city in winter. Chicago gets a lot of visitors to view its Christmas decorated stores. You can visit museums and Restaurants, conventions ect in Winter up north too. Sure you can't go to a beach in Chicago in February. But plenty in the city to visit even in Winter. NYC is still the city that never sleeps in winter....

But I hate winters myself. Bu I surly still love Chicago. My favorite big city. Just more in summer.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:58 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,478,620 times
Houston summers are not that bad, sweating, heat and humidity is actually good for your health, you can lose a lot of weight exercising in heat and humidity, its a great way to stay in shape. I would chose Houston summers over Chicago winters.

Last edited by UKWildcat1981; 07-10-2015 at 09:31 PM..

Old 07-10-2015, 09:30 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,141,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
^^^^ Really do YOU VACATION IN HOUSTON? Or live in or near Houston? Nobody vacations in Winter in a Big city BECAUSE OF...AND FOR ITS WINTER LOL. But there are plenty of reasons to visit a Big city in winter. Chicago gets a lot of visitors to view its Christmas decorated stores. You can visit museums and Restaurants, conventions ect in Winter up north too. Sure you can't go to a beach in Chicago in February. But plenty in the city to visit even in Winter. NYC is still the city that never sleeps in winter....

But I hate winters myself. Bu I surly still love Chicago. My favorite big city. Just more in summer.
Chicago is the better city by far, but along with Dallas, it's one of the few major cities in the country that has worse weather than Houston, in my opinion.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Chicago is the better city by far, but along with Dallas, it's one of the few major cities in the country that has worse weather than Houston, in my opinion.
well until the next hurricane direct hit? Dallas won't have to worry nearly as much... Oh Chicago escapes Hurricane Alley and any Water shortage or droughts that would have lawn watering restricted. But sadly it has Winters half the globe does.... darn it anyway ... But for a big city? Has good Tap water. In summer Beaches Parks and Harbors on Lake Michigan. Even right Downtown. But darn...... not in winters.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:38 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,798,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
As a 20+ year veteran, I will say that Houston weather does indeed suck. Summers are a soupy, swampy, humid mess. And yes, even nights are uncomfortably sweaty and buggy. Pop-up humidity showers are common all summer and exacerbate the steam bath. Air quality is awful, as is water quality from places like the poorly named Clear Lake all the way down to about a mile offshore in Galveston--it's thick, brown chocolate milk surf that is warmed to almost body temperature, making the sensation something akin to being in diarrhea water.
Who asked about the water quality? This post sounds like a cheap shot at Houston, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt.

By the way, the water is not always brown along the coast. It clears up on occasion, and the overall appearance is much better at the southern tip of the island. Most people are unaware of this as they only see the water near Galveston proper and the inland bays.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:27 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,184,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
None. The people who move here from the Midwest/east coast either hack it or move back home. I have yet to hear them complain about the weather it's mostly COL issues to salaries. At least in the Miami area. Last night I spent a lovely night outside on my patio with friends. No sweating. No one asked to go inside for the AC. If you think the weather is extreme here in the summer you're delusional.

Anyways, the people who move to North Carolina are locals who move again due to QOL issues depending on the stuff mentioned above. And many move back because they realize there is no substitute for Miami.
Talk about denial. I invite you to visit the TN forums for a while. Lots of people here are halfbacks. I am one of them and I am hardly alone. Many, many people think they want to escape northern winters and then discover that the heat and humidity of the deep south summers are just as bad in their own way, so they compromise and wind up in places like TN, KY, NC

Old 07-11-2015, 08:33 AM

430 posts, read 836,043 times
This is a great thread, because I avoid even thinking about living in either of these cities specifically because of the terrible summers in Houston and the horrible winters in Chicago.

I voted Chicago for being better to endure, because you can always add layers to make you warm enough, but after you're naked you can't really take any more away in Houston.

Also, global warming will make Chicago a little more bearable (almost like New York today) in 50 to 200 years, whereas Houston may be a barren wasteland by that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City