Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which can endure better living in?
Chicago Cold Season 87 50.88%
Houston Heat Season 84 49.12%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 09:28 PM

6,301 posts, read 7,541,064 times

Advertisements

Solar scientists predict that the Earth will enter a "mini ice age" around 2030 due to decreased activity by the sun, which will bring with it frigid cold winters. The last time the Earth experienced a similar situation occurred between 1645 and 1715. Photo: Albina Tiplyashina / Shutterstock

Earth heading for 'mini ice age' in 15 years, scientists say - UPI.com

I wonder how many will rationalize even colder weather as somehow being better. Of course this ice age will cool Houston summers as well.

You guys are all welcome to come to Houston until this mini ice age is over, so you better start making your reservations now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 10:31 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,153,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Solar scientists predict that the Earth will enter a "mini ice age" around 2030 due to decreased activity by the sun, which will bring with it frigid cold winters. The last time the Earth experienced a similar situation occurred between 1645 and 1715. Photo: Albina Tiplyashina / Shutterstock

Earth heading for 'mini ice age' in 15 years, scientists say - UPI.com

I wonder how many will rationalize even colder weather as somehow being better. Of course this ice age will cool Houston summers as well.

You guys are all welcome to come to Houston until this mini ice age is over, so you better start making your reservations now.
So are you saying that only a mini ice age would make Houston more hospitable? lol...................... In the meantime, when you need water come up to the Great Lakes for some nice delicious freshwater. We are so wasteful of it here and we are just swimming in joy.

These 11 Cities May Completely Run Out Of Water Sooner Than You Think

Old 07-11-2015, 10:41 PM

20,532 posts, read 33,655,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
OK sure... Well Houston on the Gulf coast. Is yearly susceptible to Hurricanes and could have a devastating DIRECT HIT. Dallas is MUCH FUTHER inland so not as bad a threat. Chicago no threat basically.

All know the Midwest heartland is Tornado alley not Hurricane threatened. But the Great Lakes region is way off the radar? Compared to areas South of Chicago and west in Iowa. Chicago can have a tornado. But suburbs have had but would be VERY rare in the city.

Also Chicago has a endless supply of FRESH WATER in Lake Michigan. Having the LARGEST WATER FILTRATION NEXT TO ITS NAVY PIER Huge tourist Attraction. I wish Philly had too? So no Tap water shortage in droughts even in Chicago. They say Houston's Tap water is .... a bit fragrant LOL and makes things colorful...

Chicago has beaches right downtown. Chicago's downtown is right on the coast. Houston is 50 miles inland. Galveston has..... the good beaches. It is its own city too.

Maybe Pennsylvanians? Should not visit Chicago vs Houston threads? But then Chicago is my adopted second hometown.... So I'm family there LOL.

Oh and Darn... you can't do a Chicago beach in winter... brrrr.

But in July like NOW ... FOR SURE.

SEE....... Oh but a correction in the pictures today? The city of Chicago. NO LONGER PLANTS THE PALM TREES IN THE SAND IN SUMMER AND PLANTERS ON CONCRETE. SINCE 2012. I RATHER LIKED IT THOUGH..... BOTH PICTURES ARE OAK ST BEACH DOWNTOWN.

Eh. I'd be more worried about regular t-storms and droughts than a major hurricane hitting Houston.

CHICAGO FILTRATION ⤵ PLANT IS LEFT OF NAVY PIER HERE... Navy Pier currently also... is under going a renovation for new updates to keep it fresh for tourist and locals.
I'd be more worried about droughts and regular thunderstorms than a direct hit from a major hurricane in Houston.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:54 PM

6,301 posts, read 7,541,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
So are you saying that only a mini ice age would make Houston more hospitable? lol...................... In the meantime, when you need water come up to the Great Lakes for some nice delicious freshwater. We are so wasteful of it here and we are just swimming in joy.

It looks like what they're saying is in 15 years Houston will have the climate Chicago does now... burr, and Chicago will have the climate of Eureka, Nunavut in northern Canada.... double burrrr...

Your article on Houston's water supply is either outdated on just in error. Houston's water supply is the best in this state and all area reservoirs are filled to the max.

Water Data For Texas

Old 07-12-2015, 12:03 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,781,449 times
I love Chicago, and as an urban experience for living or visiting, it offers way more than Houston, but in terms of weather, Chicago sucks donkey balls, and not in a good way. August weather in Houston (the worst month of humidity and heat) is unpleasant, but compared to Chicago in January, it is paradise. Heck, compared to Chicago in March, it is paradise, and August in Chicago ain't no picnic either. At least in Houston everywhere has A.C. For me Chicago wins everything else, but Houston has MUCH better weather.YMMV.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:38 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,937,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
This is a great thread, because I avoid even thinking about living in either of these cities specifically because of the terrible summers in Houston and the horrible winters in Chicago.

I voted Chicago for being better to endure, because you can always add layers to make you warm enough, but after you're naked you can't really take any more away in Houston.

Also, global warming will make Chicago a little more bearable (almost like New York today) in 50 to 200 years, whereas Houston may be a barren wasteland by that time.
The whole "adding layers" argument is bunk when you realize the the chilling cold can still affect your body even with all that gear, especially through the face. Meanwhile, Houston summers feature loads of clouds in the sky to relieve heat from the sun, plentiful cooling thunderstorms, and swift breezes from the sea all helping to relieve heat. Furthermore, the city is lush with loads of huge shady trees, especially the magnificent live oak, allowing for great amounts of shade.

Why would Houston become a wasteland when it gets loads and loads of precipitation annually? If anything, Houston would look more like the Amazon; large shares of Houston's rainfall comes from convective Gulf thunderstorms (driven by daytime heating), and global warming can increase ocean temps making it that much easier for evaporation to occur, which in turn leads to increased building of thunderclouds, meaning more rainfall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecwwwc View Post
Not necessarily. Chicago gets snow but not as much as many people are lead to believe. It gets more than NYC, but less than Boston and definitely less than Minneapolis. Ice? Sometimes, not a lot though. About shoveling, a lot of people live in multi unit buildings in Chicago and they aren't the ones to shovel. Do you really think that people living in a high rise actually ever do any shoveling? Or how about a 5 story building with 40 units? No, they aren't the ones doing the shoveling. In all my years of living in Chicago, I've never once picked up a shovel.

With that being said, neither one is necessarily ideal for the average person. There is warmth, and then there is hot and uncomfortable. There was a study posted here not long ago about that - yeah I'd agree that most people like warmth over cold. However, there is a difference between a nice 80-85 degree day and a brutal 95-100 degree day with humidity. Most people who say they like the heat are talking are talking about the 80-85 degrees, not the 95-100 degrees. Of course, most people don't prefer 25-30 degrees either, though the nice thing about that is that you can dress where 30 degrees isn't that bad. But again, both aren't ideal for the average person.

I love the heat and have no problem with the cold and any snow. In either climate, there's always ways to escape if you're uncomfortable. Each carry their risks for being outside and doing anything strenuous. You could easily get heat stroke in Houston if you aren't careful for example. During winter, that type of thing isn't going to happen when you're outside for a few hours playing a sport like Hockey or whatever. I guess if you decide to sleep outside in the winter, it wouldn't be good, but that's not going to happen to most people ever.

I'll take Houston during a summer night over a Chicago winter night though. Either one of them during the day isn't great, but I might actually take Chicago versus a 97 F humid day in Houston.
Houston is not that hot at all; the high temp on the hottest month averages 92F for a high, which is similar to that of many tropical resorts around the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post

No need to; the loads of rainfall Houston gets annually ensures that water supply is kept high.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:01 AM

29 posts, read 28,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Houston is not that hot at all; the high temp on the hottest month averages 92F for a high, which is similar to that of many tropical resorts around the world.
Though the averages are like that, Houston is often times in the upper 90s with humidity. It doesn't have to be 100 F for anyone to get heat stroke. That's the reality - and it's not a given, but people have to be smart about it when it's above 90 F with humidity.

The human body can adapt to a lot of stuff - both hot and cold. It's pretty amazing. Either one of these climates is doable, until you tell yourself that you can't do it. It's more mental than anything.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:01 AM

7,780 posts, read 10,209,288 times
Quote:
The whole "adding layers" argument is bunk when you realize the the chilling cold can still affect your body even with all that gear, especially through the face.
This was not my experience. Adding layers helped immensely and I could even cover my face. But supposing I couldn't...an extremely cold face was equal to a very hot and sweaty everything.

Quote:
Visit Houston website lists july and august highs at 94 degrees.

Houston Weather - Climate - Average Temperatures - Visit Houston TX

But I do agree that the majority of people prefer hotter weather.

Last edited by projectmaximus; 07-12-2015 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: messed up the quotes on my phone

Old 07-12-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
This was not my experience. Adding layers helped immensely and I could even cover my face. But supposing I couldn't...an extremely cold face was equal to a very hot and sweaty everything.
Anybody who doesn't think that layering works either has never actually done it or was doing it all wrong somehow. There's a reason why people can go on expeditions in the arctic, which is a LOT colder than Chicago, and survive. That's one of the most absurd things I've heard today.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
But I do agree that the majority of people prefer hotter weather.
I mean, I think that's obvious. But there's a huge difference between preferring an 80-85 degree day to a 95+ degree day. I'd wager a guess that an overwhelming majority of people, when faced with the decision on whether to take 83 degrees, sunny, and calm or 95, humid, and calm would take the 83 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City