Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Dallas. Better reputation?
Houston 83 25.38%
Dallas 195 59.63%
Draw 49 14.98%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 03:10 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,849,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Okay and if we're talking about now, then it's easy to see that DFW is not separating itself from Houston. DFW's economic output nudged just above while it currently has its greatest economic expansion (almost) ever during Houston's worst slump (which has since reversed). What does that tell you? To me, it says that all Houston needs is a little jump/more economic diversification and it'll have a larger GDP again.

The current Dallas light rail system won't come in handy, as it's designed as a suburban commuter system even though Central Dallas has a less percentage of metro jobs than its peer cities (like Houston). The streetcar system might because it goes through Uptown and a changing Bishop Arts District. Houston's urban rail system is more of an asset than Dallas' current rail when it comes to urban development. Just look at the location and layout of both systems. Add in the lower parking minimums for the areas the rail goes through in Houston, and the difference in both is starting to become quite apparent. In 5 years, it'll be obvious.

A more bustling urban core will attract more people, which will in turn change Houston's reputation for the better. You can live a cheaper urban lifestyle with more choices in the core than Dallas and not a bunch of faux-urban areas in sterile suburbs (Allen, Frisco, Plano, and to a lesser extent Irving, etc.).

What attracts people to Dallas and why it has a better reputation is its pristine suburbia. There are only a handful of areas in the US that are anything like north DFW (Orange County, outer East Bay, and Johnson County being the only ones off the top of my head). As soon as those suburbs are seen as less than the best, it'll be time for some soul searching as people will move somewhere else instead.
Houston is just as sprawling with a massive city limits that could gobbble up Fort Worth and Dallas in it. To say DFW is sprawling to much is like the cat calling the kettle black. Both are very sprawley and suburban in nature. It’s a lot easier to just focus on just Houston when the city is 600 square miles. Dallas will not be sitting idle while Houston figures out how to diversify it economy. By that time it may be a significant gap. Statistics currently show a GDP gap developing between the two. This is not something I’m making up. I can’t predict the future but current trends have DFW on top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 03:12 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,984,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Yea but we talking about now. Yella Beezy got his shizzz straight from the mud and Travis Scott hooked up with a Kardashian and did a hit song with Drake. So you tell me which is more impressive.
Nope! Travis Scott was popular and performing in front of 20k+ at music festivals BEFORE the Kardashian. Besides, how did that increase his popularity to where he is now? Perhaps it was the features he was in and the beats he produced for many artists that raised his profile. He was always very savvy with selling merch, which could be the only thing the Kardashian gave him.

Yella Beezy came from the mud, yes, but Houston has and has had plenty of artists like him. Not to mention Houston has literal mainstays that won't be forgotten in the culture while Dallas has almost none. Before Yella Beezy, we were talking about Dorrough in freaking 2008. For an area of Dallas' size, that's nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Houston is just as sprawling with a massive city limits that could gobbble up Fort Worth and Dallas in it. To say DFW is sprawling to much is like the cat calling the kettle black. Both are very sprawley and suburban in nature. It’s a lot easier to just focus on just Houston when the city is 600 square miles.
Yet with a more expansive city limits it's still denser. Also, the urban core of Houston is denser and has more people than Dallas and FW. The urban area of Houston is also becoming more dense at a faster rate. I'm really not sure what you mean by this post either. Houston has maybe two suburbs that have any type of urban development (The Woodlands and Sugar Land), meanwhile DFW has several. There's more of a focus on the inner city in Houston, whereas DFW has more of a suburban focus. I think part of that comes from having expansive city limits and unincorporated areas controlled by one central city. There are pluses and minuses to each model. For urban development, the central city model of Houston is working out better in the long run. This will positively increase its reputation too.

As far as GDP goes, there isn't a significant gap forming at all. Besides, Houstonians could have said the same thing too, but we know the positions flip-flop. Outside of being a logistics hub for air, there's really nothing DFW does that Houston cannot do.

Old 05-22-2019, 03:25 PM

4,437 posts, read 6,314,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
No way, everybody knows it's an American (Oklahoman) city first and foremost. The only major metro in the state that wasn't already established during the republic.
Oklahoman? Ummm...

Old 05-22-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Here in California, neither have good reputations. Even Austin doesn't have a good reputation. Californians think even Austin is full of gun-loving religious conservatives (facepalm). Californians think all of Texas is desert. In the Californian imagination, even Houston is cacti and tumbleweed.

If they actually knew the truth about how Houston is as lush, green and humid as Florida, and that Houston is the most diverse city in the country, and how it has the world's largest medical center, I'm sure they would change their minds.

To answer the question: Dallas still beats Houston when it comes to reputation, even in California. The Californians who actually know something about Texas would regard the Cowboys superior to the Astros, and Dallas' ice storms and tornadoes as preferable to Houston's Florida-like humidity.
I've experienced the opposite in regards to Austin. It's actually the people not originally from California who have had better understanding of cities and likely because they come from similar areas.

For Houston, out here in LA people tend to know it's a big oil/energy town, they know the sports teams, it rains a lot, NASA, and some know it's diverse. I actually met someone that thought Texas was all whites and Hispanics, and were shocked to know I was from Houston. For as progressive as California tries to sell itself, many of its residents aren't well traveled or remain stuck in the California bubble, in my opinion lol.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:09 PM

1,738 posts, read 1,903,413 times
Nobody Listens to Screw Music no more

Old 05-22-2019, 04:12 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,222,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I've experienced the opposite in regards to Austin. It's actually the people not originally from California who have had better understanding of cities and likely because they come from similar areas.

For Houston, out here in LA people tend to know it's a big oil/energy town, they know the sports teams, it rains a lot, NASA, and some know it's diverse. I actually met someone that thought Texas was all whites and Hispanics, and were shocked to know I was from Houston. For as progressive as California tries to sell itself, many of its residents aren't well traveled or remain stuck in the California bubble, in my opinion lol.
I used to live in Los Angeles and a lot of people there have never been North of Vegas or East of Phoenix or even east of San Bernardino. I had moved there from Atlanta, and some people would ask me some of the stupidest questions about my time and life there.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:13 PM

1,168 posts, read 780,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Oklahoman? Ummm...
Yep:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...ZGmJNQWcaVASYQ

Old 05-22-2019, 04:14 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,025,282 times
Personally, I've always had a more favorable impression of Houston. More diverse and international, less "generic America". Also it's close to Louisiana, my (and probably many non-Southerners') favorite Southern state.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:24 PM

1,738 posts, read 1,903,413 times
I Haven't heard Chopped and Screw Music since Mike Jones Paul Wall and Lil Flip n nem lol and that was about 10 years ago...I'm just Finding out Kirk Franklin is from Dallas......That said even though I voted Dallas in this Poll , Houston's Cultural scene is far more pervavsive, Everybody Outside Texas Knows that

Old 05-22-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
I used to live in Los Angeles and a lot of people there have never been North of Vegas or East of Phoenix or even east of San Bernardino. I had moved there from Atlanta, and some people would ask me some of the stupidest questions about my time and life there.
I think part of that is because California offers a lot and has so much to do, which makes other places seem inferior if you grew up in the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
I Haven't heard Chopped and Screw Music since Mike Jones Paul Wall and Lil Flip n nem lol and that was about 10 years ago...I'm just Finding out Kirk Franklin is from Dallas......That said even though I voted Dallas in this Poll , Houston's Cultural scene is far more pervavsive, Everybody Outside Texas Knows that
Oh no, you've certainly heard chopped and screwed (or chopped up not slopped up) music since the mid-2000s Houston wave. Drake alone has had a few chart topping hits that have the Houston sound. Even if you don't like Drake, many have at least heard his most popular songs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City