Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Dallas. Better reputation?
Houston 83 25.38%
Dallas 195 59.63%
Draw 49 14.98%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 02:13 PM

20,533 posts, read 33,660,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I gotcha now for the first part, but you're still saying the same thing you've said before. Houston still feels more like Louisiana and has a stronger black culture than Mexican culture. Mexicans here are just like Mexicans in other parts of the South; they add little to the culture compared to the whites and blacks. I would go ahead and say that the Asians have some strong culture here too.

I live in the Energy Corridor.
I find that hard to believe. There are over 2 million Mexicans in Houston. It's the fastest growing group in the area and will remain so. If their impact is not there now, it will be soon enough as the born and bred Houston Latino's get older. There are probably more Mexicans in the Houston area than the rest of the South combined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 02:14 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,850,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That was the CSA. Going by MSA, DFW is alot closer.
Will you post your numbers? Lol. I which people would get over the CSA! Walker County is definitely an important county that added some fluff to the overall black population for the CSA. In the near future I can see it being added to the metro due to the growth moving further north of Conroe; I'm surprised that Walker County isn't already a suburb of Montgomery County.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I find that hard to believe. There are over 2 million Mexicans in Houston. It's the fastest growing group in the area and will remain so. If their impact is not there now, it will be soon enough as the born and bred Houston Latino's get older. There are probably more Mexicans in the Houston area than the rest of the South combined.
There are not more than 2 million Mexicans here; that's the Hispanic population.
The Mexicans here, for the most part, are similar to Mexicans everywhere in the South although Houston has a lot; you can tell that the Mexicans here more recent. Also, you don't see a lot of Mexicans in high positions at companies like you do blacks and other Hispanics like Colombians and Venezuelans.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:18 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,822,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I don't think you've been living in Houston long enough to be sure of that. The fact is most Mexicans in Houston live in areas that were or are still largely Black neighborhoods. The older generations still cling to their own cultures but many if not most of the youth are absolutely adopting Black American culture; far more than the reverse is true.
Heres the deal, statistics sort that out. A persons opinion is useless without statistics being able to sort it out.

What statistics dictate is that despite how some people love to gush about how integrated Houston is, its not true. Houston is more integrated than alot of cities like Chicago, Atlanta, and Dallas as well, but its still pretty segregated. For the most part, blacks and Hispanics live in their own neighborhoods. Those places may have been black at one time, but I will fully dispute the idea that young Mexicans are adopting black culture in large numbers. All it takes is a drive through Gulfton, Aldine, or Galena Park to see that. There are a few areas where they overlap (like the neighborhoods around Tidwell and 45 or the areas near Hobby Airport), but for the most parts blacks live in their neighborhoods, whites live in theirs, and Hispanics live in theirs. Thats a statistical fact.

For Mexicans living in Black neighborhoods, what youre suggesting is very possible. However, since most races stick to their own (anywhere, not just Houston), there is a great deal of insulation. There are many more Hispanic neighborhoods in Houston than Black ones. I realize that wasnt always the case, but it is in 2015.

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Somebody posted updated numbers of the black population in certain metros. Houston is 80,000 over DFW, which has been the lead since last decade.
Im sure that was the case at one time.

Here are the most recent numbers:

Hispanic:
Houston - 2,280,000
Dallas - 1,909,000

Black:
Houston - 1,085,000
Dallas - 1,029,000

White:
Dallas - 3,334,000
Houston - 2,415,000

Asian:
Houston - 441,000
Dallas - 390,000

American FactFinder - Results

Old 07-23-2015, 02:36 PM

6,843 posts, read 11,008,732 times
Quote:
Will you post your numbers?
Using this as a guideline for what is (officially) considered the South: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

These are numbers from 2012, factfinder is being stupid and wont let me access the 2013 ones (and 2014 ones aren't out yet).

These are by MSA by the way.

Total African American and/or Black Population:
1. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA MSA: 1,785,732
2. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV MSA: 1,470,028
3. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL MSA: 1,220,449
4. Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX MSA: 1,060,936
5. Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX MSA: 1,014,748

Total Latin American Population:
1. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL MSA: 2,419,441
2. Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX MSA: 2,228,634
3. Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX MSA: 1,863,795
4. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV MSA: 839,697
5. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA MSA: 577,276

Mexican:
1. Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX MSA: 1,716,841
2. Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX MSA: 1,607,030
3. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA MSA: 336,013
4. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL MSA: 143,245
5. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV MSA: 132,183

Interestingly the two that are the least Latin American of the five metropolitan areas are actually the two most Black/African-American, and vice versa, where two of the three most Latin American are technically the two least Black/African-American. When you take away the Latin Americans who identify as Mexican in Houston, for example, you still have over 510,000 other Latin Americans which is pretty much in line with Atlanta's full total Latin American population (that's including Mexican people for Atlanta). I think it is a stretch to say Houston's Latino/Hispanic population is like everywhere else in the South, that is not realistically possible.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:41 PM

20,533 posts, read 33,660,182 times
Quote:
There are not more than 2 million Mexicans here; that's the Hispanic population.
The Mexicans here, for the most part, are similar to Mexicans everywhere in the South although Houston has a lot; you can tell that the Mexicans here more recent. Also, you don't see a lot of Mexicans in high positions at companies like you do blacks and other Hispanics like Colombians and Venezuelans.
Ok. 1.7 million out of the nearly 2.3 million Hispanic population is Mexican. It could perhaps reach 2 million by decades end. Their power and presence will only grow to the heights in the near future in Houston that you will not see in the rest of the South.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post

Asian:
Houston - 441,000
Dallas - 390,000

Here are the 2014 numbers (I added up the counties myself from the newest release of demographic data). By MSA.

Total Asian Population:
1. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV MSA: 580,261
2. Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX MSA: 491,279
3. Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX MSA: 435,869
4. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA MSA: 309,061
5. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL MSA: 151,952

https://www.census.gov/popest/data/c...4/PEPSR6H.html

I used only the counties (and independent cities in the case of Washington DC area) that the OMB designates as part of each respective MSA.

I also did the same for the Latino and Black populations for 2014 numbers, but did them by CSA and wont post them here since CSAs become touchy subjects, and lots of people openly reject their use. Also, it appears that 2015 is the last year that "Whites" will be the largest of the 4 major groups in Houston (Whites, Blacks, Hispanics, Asians) as Hispanics and/or Latinos will pass them up by the 2016 numbers.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:58 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,816,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Heres the deal, statistics sort that out. A persons opinion is useless without statistics being able to sort it out.

What statistics dictate is that despite how some people love to gush about how integrated Houston is, its not true. Houston is more integrated than alot of cities like Chicago, Atlanta, and Dallas as well, but its still pretty segregated. For the most part, blacks and Hispanics live in their own neighborhoods. Those places may have been black at one time, but I will fully dispute the idea that young Mexicans are adopting black culture in large numbers. All it takes is a drive through Gulfton, Aldine, or Galena Park to see that. There are a few areas where they overlap (like the neighborhoods around Tidwell and 45 or the areas near Hobby Airport), but for the most parts blacks live in their neighborhoods, whites live in theirs, and Hispanics live in theirs. Thats a statistical fact.

For Mexicans living in Black neighborhoods, what youre suggesting is very possible. However, since most races stick to their own (anywhere, not just Houston), there is a great deal of insulation. There are many more Hispanic neighborhoods in Houston than Black ones. I realize that wasnt always the case, but it is in 2015.

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Im sure that was the case at one time.

Here are the most recent numbers:

Hispanic:
Houston - 2,280,000
Dallas - 1,909,000

Black:
Houston - 1,085,000
Dallas - 1,029,000

White:
Dallas - 3,334,000
Houston - 2,415,000

Asian:
Houston - 441,000
Dallas - 390,000

You can certainly dispute it but can you disprove it? No, because, like me, your previous statement was based on nothing but observation. Still, simply driving through these areas doesn't show you much in terms of culture.

Where people live only tells part of the story. You also have to consider that they likely go to school, work, or socialize with many other people who are of different races. As far as I know this tends to be more true in Houston than it is in other major cities.

So I stand by my statement. I'm not saying that young Mexicans are giving up their own culture for Black culture, but most of them are definitely being influenced by it.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:22 PM

I just now realized that of the 5 most populous places in "the South" according to the OMB/census bureau [Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, Washington DC, Miami/Fort Lauderdale, Atlanta] that I've lived in 4 out of 5 of them (or 80%), currently living in one (Miami/Fort Lauderdale) right now.

I lived all around in the South and never really knew I was living in the South until I joined City-Data. Though that's a topic for another thread.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Using this as a guideline for what is (officially) considered the South: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

These are numbers from 2012, factfinder is being stupid and wont let me access the 2013 ones (and 2014 ones aren't out yet).

These are by MSA by the way.

Total African American and/or Black Population:
1. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA MSA: 1,785,732
2. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV MSA: 1,470,028
3. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL MSA: 1,220,449
4. Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX MSA: 1,060,936
5. Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX MSA: 1,014,748

Total Latin American Population:
1. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL MSA: 2,419,441
2. Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX MSA: 2,228,634
3. Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX MSA: 1,863,795
4. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV MSA: 839,697
5. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA MSA: 577,276

Mexican:
1. Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX MSA: 1,716,841
2. Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX MSA: 1,607,030
3. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA MSA: 336,013
4. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL MSA: 143,245
5. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV MSA: 132,183

Interestingly the two that are the least Latin American of the five metropolitan areas are actually the two most Black/African-American, and vice versa, where two of the three most Latin American are technically the two least Black/African-American. When you take away the Latin Americans who identify as Mexican in Houston, for example, you still have over 510,000 other Latin Americans which is pretty much in line with Atlanta's full total Latin American population (that's including Mexican people for Atlanta). I think it is a stretch to say Houston's Latino/Hispanic population is like everywhere else in the South, that is not realistically possible.
Even though I feel some type of way since you added DC to the mix, the 2013 estimates show a 56,000 difference compared to the 2012 estimates with a 46,000 difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City