Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Dallas. Better reputation?
Houston 83 25.38%
Dallas 195 59.63%
Draw 49 14.98%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 03:25 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,807,698 times

Advertisements

The four biggest metros in the South now all have more then 1 million blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 03:26 PM

20,524 posts, read 33,593,484 times
Quote:
2. Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX MSA: 491,279
Looks like Houston's Asian population will pass half a million.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:26 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,987,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Even though I feel some type of way since you added DC to the mix, the 2013 estimates show a 56,000 difference compared to the 2012 estimates with a 40,000+ difference.
I straight up feel no significant emotion about Washington D.C. and its classification as either Southern or Northeastern.

I straight up go into every Northeast thread and include it there, then I straight up go into every Southern thread and include it there. At the end of the day, with Washington D.C., you can do that if you really want to (and I really want to). I also feel no remorse doing this, it really feels too right.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:29 PM

998 posts, read 1,327,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
The thing is that most of Houston feels like an extension of Mexico. If the question were asked "who has more power in the city?", then I think that African Americans do. They have more control at city hall though not quite like whites. But, if we talk about the entire city, the city feels more Hispanic on the whole. These arent neighborhoods where Hispanics are conforming to black culture for the most part either. These are neighborhoods where almost everything is in Spanish and all the shops cater to the various Hispanic ethnicities.

DFW is attracting blacks at a surprisingly higher rate despite the fact that Houston is more popular among African Americans. I think part of the explination lies in the fact that, for whatever reason, DFW is a much larger magnent for immigrants from Africa (sans Nigeria). But thats only a portion of it.

Looking at the incoming data into both areas, most blacks that move to Houston come from other parts of the South. Most blacks from DFW are coming from Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis and other parts of the Midwest. This does re-enforce what Ive said over and over: Houston is a MUCH more Southern city than Dallas. Dallas always felt more like a blend of Midwest/Great Plains/Southern where as Houston is almost straight Gulf Coast/Southern. Both are being modified greatly since they are attracting tons of immigrants (domestic and international). People like to act like cities are what they are and will never change, but thats just not true. There was a time when even Miami wasnt a Latino city...
Dallas feels way more Mexican to me. Oak Cliff is overwhelmingly Hispanic now and that a HUGE part of the city. Also, have you been down Jefferson? You might as well be in mexico. Same for parts of East Dallas. I've chalked it up to the Metroplex being on I35 which is basically a direct shot from Mexico, Laredo, San Antonio, etc. With White flight and Blacks moving out to the suburbs, the actual city of Dallas is loaded with Mexicans.

Last edited by marcopolo2000; 07-23-2015 at 05:37 PM..

Old 07-23-2015, 06:33 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,792,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Dallas feels way more Mexican to me. Oak Cliff is overwhelmingly Hispanic now and that a HUGE part of the city. Also, have you been down Jefferson? You might as well be in mexico. Same for parts of East Dallas. I've chalked it up to the Metroplex being on I35 which is basically a direct shot from Mexico, Laredo, San Antonio, etc. With White flight and Blacks moving out to the suburbs, the actual city of Dallas is loaded with Mexicans.
Probably has to do with the fact that in regards to actual city boundaries, Dallas is more Hispanic & Black than it's metro. It actually surpasses Houston in African Americans and comes real close with Hispanics in percentage.

Dallas
Hispanic 42.4%
White (non-Hispanic) 28.8%
Black 25.0%
Asian 2.9%

Houston
Hispanic 43.8%
White (non-Hispanic) 25.6%
Black 23.7%
Asian 6.0%

Old 07-23-2015, 06:41 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,792,752 times
In regards to the discussion of Houston's Hispanic culture or lack thereof. As an outsider, whenever I visit it actually feels really prevalent. And with over 2 million rightfully so. Many places I went there were Hispanics, and Hispanic businesses in spanish. Maybe they don't hold lots of power in comparison to their numbers but their presence is certainly there.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:46 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,646,277 times
Neither. When I think about Texas, Austin is the main city with a good reputation that comes to mind. San Antonio would be 2nd.

Houston and Dallas are just places where I occasionally have to catch a flight connection.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:33 PM

20,524 posts, read 33,593,484 times
Why does Austin have such a good reputation or a better reputation than Dallas or Houston? Because it's younger? Now I admit, they have a better downtown than Houston or Dallas and it's more scenic. But what else?

Old 07-23-2015, 09:27 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,930,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Why does Austin have such a good reputation or a better reputation than Dallas or Houston? Because it's younger? Now I admit, they have a better downtown than Houston or Dallas and it's more scenic. But what else?
There is a sort of sorcery that emanates out of Austin, influencing the thoughts and minds of people elsewhere, causing them to have glowingly positive views of the city, while having completely opposite views of Houston and Dallas. This same sorcery can be found emanating from San Antonio as well.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:38 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,187,299 times
Spade, because Austin is the whiter, younger, smaller, less intimidating Texas city. And it's trendy. Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio are none of those things, at this point. Give it 20 years--there will be a new darling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City