Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Dallas. Better reputation?
Houston 83 25.38%
Dallas 195 59.63%
Draw 49 14.98%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 08:38 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Atlanta is pretty segregated though. Moreso than the Texas metros.
How did you come to this conclusion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Really? You know I-20 is pretty much the dividing line!
Incorrect. You will find plenty of black people in Midtown, Chamblee, Linbergh, Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, Roswell, Marietta, Lawrenceville etc. All of these places are above 20. It is quite obvious that you don't know much about Atlanta and should only speak from experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 08:52 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,031,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Atlanta is a good city for Latinos/Hispanics (and Mexican people) in the MS-AL-GA-SC-NC-TN-KY region of the South. It is the largest hub for Mexican and Latino/Hispanic culture in MS-AL-GA-SC-NC-TN-KY region of the South. That being said, it is in no way competitive with Houston or Dallas/Fort Worth on things for Mexican people, nor competitive with Miami, Houston, and Dallas/Fort Worth on Latino and/or Hispanic culture and amenities.

I think Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex is as attractive of a place to Latinos/Hispanics and specifically Mexican people as Houston is. I also think Miami/Fort Lauderdale area is better than Houston for Latinos, although not Mexican people. I think these three though; 1) Miami/Fort Lauderdale, 2) Houston, and 3) Dallas/Fort Worth, in that precise order, are the best three in South for Latinos and/or Hispanics (not counting places on the Border with Mexico or San Antonio, both of which are obvious).

I wanted to share that I do think there is a place better than Houston for Latinos in the South (Miami/Fort Lauderdale) and another one that's nearly as good (Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex), since you think I'm being under-appreciative to other places in the South outside of Houston in regards to Latinos and/or Hispanics.
I agree with your top 3, but you seemed to say that there was nowhere else in the South that had amenities for Latinos - that was my issue. I think you fixed that tho. Even with those being the top 3, there are other cities that are not bad for Latinos too.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:34 AM

3 posts, read 3,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
How did you come to this conclusion?

Incorrect. You will find plenty of black people in Midtown, Chamblee, Linbergh, Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, Roswell, Marietta, Lawrenceville etc. All of these places are above 20. It is quite obvious that you don't know much about Atlanta and should only speak from experience.
Of course you can find Blacks on other sides of Atlanta, but there is no denying that the majority live south of 20. Like the vast majority. For segregation, Atlanta is the most, followed by DFW, and last Houston (which is the order of the links):

http://www.alt-tag.com/blog/wp-conte...racial-dot.png

http://i.imgur.com/q4UwfbW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VHYR1II.jpg

Old 07-26-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Who said anything about KC? Did you just bring it up because I live here? I'm not from here and definitely not a KC booster. Lol KC is absolutely sprawling as well. Far be it from me to defend it. And you may be right, Houston may be the more Texas city. Guess it depends on how you define Texan. But I think Dallas is the better city and metro and looks like most agree with me.
This thread isn't about which is the best city/metro, just which has the better reputation. Being that Dallas has many similar characteristics to your own city, it isn't a surprise that you prefer it.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:07 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrectingYou View Post
Of course you can find Blacks on other sides of Atlanta, but there is no denying that the majority live south of 20. Like the vast majority. For segregation, Atlanta is the most, followed by DFW, and last Houston (which is the order of the links):

That map actually shows more Blacks living north of I-20 than south of it.

I think it's more accurate to say that the majority of Whites, Hispanics, and Asians live north of I-20 than anything.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:42 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,783,707 times
http://frontburner.wpengine.netdna-c...8/wiredmap.jpg

Dallas is just as segregated. Mostly whites in the north and blacks in the south. Generally speaking.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That map actually shows more Blacks living north of I-20 than south of it.

I think it's more accurate to say that the majority of Whites, Hispanics, and Asians live north of I-20 than anything.
Well that's what I saying. Atlanta has the highest amount of segregation.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:32 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,511,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Atlanta is a good city for Latinos/Hispanics (and Mexican people) in the MS-AL-GA-SC-NC-TN-KY region of the South. It is the largest hub for Mexican and Latino/Hispanic culture in MS-AL-GA-SC-NC-TN-KY region of the South. That being said, it is in no way competitive with Houston or Dallas/Fort Worth on things for Mexican people, nor competitive with Miami, Houston, and Dallas/Fort Worth on Latino and/or Hispanic culture and amenities.

I think Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex is as attractive of a place to Latinos/Hispanics and specifically Mexican people as Houston is. I also think Miami/Fort Lauderdale area is better than Houston for Latinos, although not Mexican people. I think these three though; 1) Miami/Fort Lauderdale, 2) Houston, and 3) Dallas/Fort Worth, in that precise order, are the best three in South for Latinos and/or Hispanics (not counting places on the Border with Mexico or San Antonio, both of which are obvious).

I wanted to share that I do think there is a place better than Houston for Latinos in the South (Miami/Fort Lauderdale) and another one that's nearly as good (Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex), since you think I'm being under-appreciative to other places in the South outside of Houston in regards to Latinos and/or Hispanics.
Baaaaaaaybay. Atlanta is ok with it too. We have negro American culture on lock. You can keep the tacos, we have grape kool-aid.

#notracist
#justkidding
#ifyouoffendedohdamnwell

Old 07-26-2015, 03:47 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Baaaaaaaybay. Atlanta is ok with it too. We have negro American culture on lock. You can keep the tacos, we have grape kool-aid.

#notracist
#justkidding
#ifyouoffendedohdamnwell
Of course Atlanta and Atlantans are okay with it.

The place is the most cosmopolitan/diverse/international/global center in the sub-region that consists of the organization of Mississippi (MS)-Alabama (AL)-Georgia (GA)-South Carolina (S.C.)-North Carolina (N.C.)-Tennessee (TN)-Kentucky (KY). That's a total of over 43 million people, 7 whole American states, and over 326,000 square miles of land area and Atlanta is the capital of Black culture, Latino/Hispanic culture, and Asian culture well within that space (would've said "White" culture too, but that's everywhere in America except for the United States-Mexico Border (sans San Diego)).

So, yes, Atlanta looks really good, it looks like a legit hub for a largely populated region (and as its positions in those 7 states show -- it is).

That said though, I think the balanced diversity of Houston where it has representation in the millions by Whites, Latinos, and Blacks (each) is very impressive. Its Asian population (at half-a-million today) will be above 1 million as well real quick (along with Central Americans, Asians are the fastest growing group in all of Houston, by far). All of this change is near-term and it also will come with every one of the 4 major groups being over 10% representation of the areas total population. Houston by itself is already (in raw numbers and percentages) more diverse than the entire region of New England put together in regards to each of Blacks, Asians, and Latinos/Hispanics (New England = 14.6 million people in CT, RI, MA, VT, NH, ME). As in its metropolitan area actually has more Black people than all of New England put together, about an equal amount of Asians than all of New England put together but growing exponentially faster, and more Latinos/Hispanics than all of New England put together -- so literally being a better place for Blacks, Asians, and Latinos than an entire region in the process. Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex is just a few years behind Houston there in this paradigm shift and has to its name Whites, Blacks, and Latinos all over 1 million, and like Houston an ever-expanding Asian population that already dwarfs 400,000 (also expected to grow beyond a million, as its the Metroplex's fastest growing group). Finally, Southeast Florida is the unquestionable force for all things Latino and/or Hispanic in the United States (save for Mexican culture), with an ever-expanding expat European population, and a Black population that dwarfs 1.2 million as well.

I think, isawooty, all places are well comfortable in their skin in regards to what they are and what they are becoming.

Oh and I could go for some tacos right now.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 07-26-2015 at 04:22 PM..

Old 07-26-2015, 05:32 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,031,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrectingYou View Post

Blacks are actually very well distributed throughout metro Atlanta...but are the definite majority in much of South Atlanta with a few notable exceptions: Fayette, Coweta, Carroll, Walton, Spalding, Newton, and probably other counties south of I20 are overwhelmingly white. The bigger difference is that the white population in southern Fulton and Dekalb and Clayton counties is pretty low.

I'm not sure I actually consider it segregated, but Atlanta does have majority black neighborhoods. The north and east sides of Atlanta are pretty diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City