Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Dallas. Better reputation?
Houston 83 25.38%
Dallas 195 59.63%
Draw 49 14.98%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 11:13 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,795,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Okay, I'm glad you realize that. It didn't sound like you did.
I don't know how, but okay.

Quote:
The loblolly pine region covers a lot of ground...I never said it didn't. But it isn't the most common tree across most of that map - it's just a part of the landscape and in natural to the area. It is very prominent in some areas, and less so in others.
What tree would be the most common?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 11:17 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,042,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I don't know how, but okay.

What tree would be the most common?
Deciduous trees are more common throughout the Piedmont and Mountain areas of VA/NC/TN/GA/SC/AL and most of the upper South. From Atlanta north to the mountains in GA deciduous trees are the norm. The coastal areas have more evergreens.

From what I'm seeing on that map, there is almost as much gray area of the South as green - and a lot of the green areas are a good mixture of evergreens and deciduous. Anyway, this is off topic and I didn't mean for it to go that way. It was just a side comment.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Deciduous trees are more common throughout the Piedmont and Mountain areas of VA/NC/TN/GA/SC/AL and most of the upper South. The coastal areas have more evergreens.
Well that map didn't even include most of the mountainous areas, so that's a given. But the Piedmont? I'm pretty sure that pines are in fact the single most common tree in cities like Atlanta and Charlotte, even though you won't necessarily see them everywhere.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:38 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Quote:
. Anyway, this is off topic and I didn't mean for it to go that way. It was just a side comment.
Actually this is on topic to a certain extent, because if Houston has a reputation for being more southern than DFW then that will make it a less attractive place in the minds of many people outside of Texas and the South in general and could account for much of the OP's poll results.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:14 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Actually this is on topic to a certain extent, because if Houston has a reputation for being more southern than DFW then that will make it a less attractive place in the minds of many people outside of Texas and the South in general and could account for much of the OP's poll results.
I would theorize that a person from Kansas City would find DFW more attractive and a person from Jacksonville would find Houston more attractive.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:18 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I would theorize that a person from Kansas City would find DFW more attractive and a person from Jacksonville would find Houston more attractive.
I'd qualify that by saying that a person from Kansas City that really likes Kansas City would find DFW more attractive and a person from Jacksonville that really likes Jacksonville would find Houston more attractive--unless they are looking for a change of scenery.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd qualify that by saying that a person from Kansas City that really likes Kansas City would find DFW more attractive and a person from Jacksonville that really likes Jacksonville would find Houston more attractive--unless they are looking for a change of scenery.
In which the person from Kansas City would actually prefer Houston while the Jacksonvillian (?) opts for Dallas.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:46 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
In which the person from Kansas City would actually prefer Houston while the Jacksonvillian (?) opts for Dallas.
Yup. People make switches like that all the time.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:49 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Oh there you go again! You mean because DFW is more "Midwestern" and Houston is more "southern"? You are just finding a different way of saying the same thing you have been saying since I have been reading your post on CD which is if you don't like the south for whatever reason you will not like Houston.. As if DFW is not southern or less southern than Houston. Like I posted before you are either pregnant or you are not. Dallas/DFW is just as southern as Houston is whatever degree that may be.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:12 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,927,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Dallas and it ain't even close. The Dallas Cowboys alone, say what you want (and I live near Philadelphia lol), put Dallas on the recognition/reputation map to a degree Houston can't match in anything, even outside sports. Dallas Cowboys > every Houston sports team, probably combined. Dallas Cowboys > NASA. Dallas Cowboys > Texas Medical Center. You get the idea. Sad as it is, we live in a vapid, money obsessed society that glorifies sports and the superficial. Well, Dallas clearly has the edge here, no?

And I know notoriety and recognition are not the same as reputation, but it's hard to ask non-Texans to argue on reputation when no one knows as much about Houston, compared to Dallas. Might as well be Phoenix, Arizona to us on the East Coast, honestly. Texas is Texas to anyone not there anyway, so Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, etc. align way more under that "Texas" umbrella for reputation to non-locals, imo.
Although not as palpable as it was in the past, the NASA connection Houston has is pretty potent; to this day, people from outside the country still associate Houston's name with the trademark catchphrase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Dallas for me by a wide margin. People overall just seem to have better things to say about it. To be fair, Houston seems to get more hate for its weather than Dallas but IMO Dallas summers are just as awful as Houston summers. At least Houston has beaches relatively close by.
The hot, humid summers Houston has would grant no worse of a reputation than the proneness to extreme temps Dallas has, being both intensively hot in the summer, yet featuring sharp cold spells in winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Why so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City