Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Dallas. Better reputation?
Houston 83 25.38%
Dallas 195 59.63%
Draw 49 14.98%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 05:37 PM

23,802 posts, read 24,374,922 times

Advertisements

Dallas, for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 06:30 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,027,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
People in Dallas to me dress southern but they are fake, nice big house, nice big costly car, look at me I have lot of money, look at me I'm dress like I'm gone to the school prom or dinner with the CEO of Microsoft well they are at a fast food place, walmart or shopping plaza!! None of this is southern culture at all.

Dallas and Fort Worth area will give you more of the look on how people from Texas dress like.

More stronger southern accents in the Dallas and Fort Worth area than Houston. In Houston 90% people do not have accent and in suburbs it is even more so.

If you are into the southern culture stay out of Dallas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Lived in both. This is off base.

Statistics dictate Greater Houston, not DFW has a higher in state birth rate.

You may have more of a point if you're just talking about Fort Worth but not Dallas at all. I can count the number of friends I had from Dallas on one hand when I lived there. People in Dallas were devoid of accents as they are in Houston.

Houston is, by far, the more Southern city.

I'm talking about stronger southern accents and the way people dress. Not the way the city looks or the land.

I hear more stronger southern accents in Dallas than Houston.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:33 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,855,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
How did you come to this conclusion?
Through two avenues:

1) I spent a month working in Atlanta two years ago and spent quite a bit of time there since.

2) Its a statistical fact that Atlanta is more segregated than Dallas or DFW:

The Most Diverse Cities Are Often The Most Segregated | FiveThirtyEight

The most racially segregated cities in the South

Old 07-26-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about stronger southern accents and the way people dress. Not the way the city looks or the land.

I hear more stronger southern accents in Dallas than Houston.
I didn't hear them often at all and I lived there for 6 years.

I don't hear them that often in Houston either.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:37 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,027,026 times
Other thing is most people in Houston do not have a southern accents like I hear in the Dallas and Fort Worth.

I hear lot more southern accents in the Dallas and Fort Worth area.

The land area in Houston looks more like the south east. Well in Dallas and Fort Worth the land area looks more like the mid west.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:31 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,998,239 times
Quote:
Other thing is most people in Houston do not have a southern accents like I hear in the Dallas and Fort Worth.

I hear lot more southern accents in the Dallas and Fort Worth area.

The land area in Houston looks more like the south east. Well in Dallas and Fort Worth the land area looks more like the mid west.
No, Houstonians have southern accents... they're just different from what you here in DFW.

Texas doesn't have ONE single accent. People who live in Plano sound different than people who live in the 5th Ward...

Old 07-26-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
No, Houstonians have southern accents... they're just different from what you here in DFW.

Texas doesn't have ONE single accent. People who live in Plano sound different than people who live in the 5th Ward...
People in Plano will have a Californian or Indian accent...

Theres almost no Texans left in Southern Collin Country. Blue State refugees, Mexicans, and Indians mainly.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:42 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,943,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Dallas, for sure.
Why so?

Old 07-26-2015, 09:43 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,998,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
People in Plano will have a Californian or Indian accent...

Theres almost no Texans left in Southern Collin Country. Blue State refugees, Mexicans, and Indians mainly.
You understand what I'm saying, though...

Old 07-27-2015, 03:40 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,130,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Blacks are actually very well distributed throughout metro Atlanta...but are the definite majority in much of South Atlanta with a few notable exceptions: Fayette, Coweta, Carroll, Walton, Spalding, Newton, and probably other counties south of I20 are overwhelmingly white. The bigger difference is that the white population in southern Fulton and Dekalb and Clayton counties is pretty low.

I'm not sure I actually consider it segregated, but Atlanta does have majority black neighborhoods. The north and east sides of Atlanta are pretty diverse.
I don't know if I'd group Spalding with those other counties. The largest city in Spalding County, Griffin, is majority black and the county as a whole is 33% black. It's nearly as "black" as Henry County (36%).

Now Pike County is another one of those exceptions, though I bet many people forget it's even in metro Atlanta.

The racial makeup of the county was 83.64% White, 14.79% Black or African American, 0.21% Native American, 0.37% Asian, 0.42% from other races, and 0.57% from two or more races. 1.22% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City