Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Dallas. Better reputation?
Houston 83 25.38%
Dallas 195 59.63%
Draw 49 14.98%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 04:50 PM

998 posts, read 1,324,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
On a historical perspective, sure.

However, in 2015, Hispanics have a greater influence on the city than black, white or anyone else. .

No they don't. Although they may be a greater part of the population, they are behind both Blacks and Whites when it comes to power and influence in Houston. It takes more than numbers to change that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 05:28 PM

875 posts, read 1,660,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
No they don't. Although they may be a greater part of the population, they are behind both Blacks and Whites when it comes to power and influence in Houston. It takes more than numbers to change that.
Agreed!

Old 07-22-2015, 09:56 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,503,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Both probably have ****ty reputation due to the fact that they're associated with Texas which has a very bad reputation. I would say for blacks, Houston comes out looking better than Dallas by a significant margin.

I don't think people realize how much of a commodity Houston is considered among the AA community within the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The funny thing about this though as I think the DFW black population will pass Houston black population by the 2020 census. But still, Houston will remain the more popular spot for Black folks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
You know what? I thought so, but I think Houston is becoming more and more popular in black America now. Hey, I can be wrong.

Everyday, I'm just amazed at how Houston's black population feels so large and adds so much culture to the city; even though the city's black population is smaller than the Hispanic population, the black culture feels more prevalent and significant than the Hispanic population.
This is good to hear. It seems Atlanta was sucking the air out of the room in regards to black folks since the early 1990s. It feels like a large part of DFW's black community is transplants from Chicago and Detroit
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Both of them have bad reputations based on the fact that they're in Texas. Be that as it may, it seems that Dallas has a better reputation among more middle-america types and Houston has a better reputation among Southerners - especially from the Gulf South, African-Americans (although I know of African-Americans who don't want to move there because it is in Texas and they believe the stereotypes and lies about the state), and people from overseas.

Let's be honest, the look of Houston is quite off-putting for a lot people who aren't familiar with the Gulf Coast cities. It's flat, has no zoning laws, and there are big scary 15-20 lane wide freeways with shopping centers, car lots, strip clubs, and all sorts of commercial development along the side frontage roads cutting a wide swath across the landscape. The drive from IAH airport to Downtown along the 45 Freeway is the first impression many get of the city, and lets face it, it's not a good first impression. It's also an extremely diverse, cosmopolitan city with people from all walks of life living among each other, not to mention there are a lot of middle class, poor, and wealthy neighborhoods all intermixed together, which is scary to a lot of people. Most people who like their cities to be a bit more "neat" and organized looking are NOT going to like how Houston looks. Also, many neighborhoods don't even have curbs, gutters, or sidewalks, and that can be off-putting to a lot of people. It's a tough nut to crack, and a tough city to know if you don't take the time to get off the freeway and explore. Let's face it, most people are stupid and lazy and are not going to take the time to really explore a city like Houston because of it's haphazard look and layout. Also, it's a Southern city and there are transplants from other parts of the country who will dismiss the city based off of that alone. And its the Gulf South, which didn't get the good press and feedback that the Piedmont Atlantic (Georgia, North Carolina, etc.) gets. Gulf Coast Florida is an exception because it's Florida and all that comes with that, but truth be told, many parts of the Florida Gulf Coast aren't that different from the rest of the Gulf South.

On the other hand, Dallas is "neat" and organized and very over-the-top in terms of its buildings and projects and perceived to be more new money and upscale in its look and feel than Houston. While the city takes flack for some of its more over-the-top and hyper-upscale projects, a lot of people like the fact that it's sterile and there are well defined areas that people understand where the haves vs the have-nots are. In general, North Dallas = "Good," "Upscale," and "Mostly White" to most people with a smattering of other minorities here and there. South Dallas = "Bad," "Ghetto," and "Black" to a lot of people and is seen as an area to avoid. This is not fair to either side because there are impoverished ghettos on the North side of town and upscale areas on the South Side of town, but unlike Houston, Dallas's "Good" and "Bad" sides are a lot more defined in the minds of most people in spite of the demographic changes on both sides of town. Also, years of media attention thanks to the Cowboys and the eponymous TV show defined "Dallas" to an entire generation of people, so people think they're more familiar with the city than they really are. Dallas seems to be a more "tries-to-be-all-things-to-all-people" sort of city, while Houston is a bit more unapologetic in its presentation/look/feel. This goes a long way towards the perception of both cities.

Also, location, location, location - Dallas is in a more centralized location in relation to the rest of the US with a diverse array of corporate headquarters throughout the metroplex. So if people aren't changing planes there or driving through there through the multiple interstates, either they or someone they know relocated there due to a job. Houston is a bit more out of the way - it isn't that far out of the way, but its much farther from other Middle America cities compared to the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Also, even though the economy is a lot more diverse there than it used to be, Houston is still the center of the Oil and Gas/Energy Industry in the US plus the Healthcare Industry has a strong presence there. These are both much more specialized fields than the companies that are generally HQ'd throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth area, and therefore attracts a more specific type of transplant to Houston, so I wonder if that plays a role in how they're perceived.
This is it in a nutshell.
Quote:
Dallas is many things and fake can be one of them. Dallas is not boring at all though.

One thing that is nice about Houston is that there is more to do if you don't drink. Almost all the events in Dallas revolve around alcohol and how drunk or high you can get. Houston has a lot more cultural events. Im past the days where I need to party all the time so I definitely like Houston for that.

The nightlife in Dallas came across as more drug hungry. People love their coke and the x pills. Houston is more chill.
You know your city has arrived when you have this issues. I remember being a kid and people only saying this about LA. Scottsdale/Phoenix and Dallas (Downtown) have become regional clubbing centers in recent times.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:58 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Both of them have bad reputations based on the fact that they're in Texas. Be that as it may, it seems that Dallas has a better reputation among more middle-america types and Houston has a better reputation among Southerners - especially from the Gulf South, African-Americans (although I know of African-Americans who don't want to move there because it is in Texas and they believe the stereotypes and lies about the state), and people from overseas.

Let's be honest, the look of Houston is quite off-putting for a lot people who aren't familiar with the Gulf Coast cities. It's flat, has no zoning laws, and there are big scary 15-20 lane wide freeways with shopping centers, car lots, strip clubs, and all sorts of commercial development along the side frontage roads cutting a wide swath across the landscape. The drive from IAH airport to Downtown along the 45 Freeway is the first impression many get of the city, and lets face it, it's not a good first impression. It's also an extremely diverse, cosmopolitan city with people from all walks of life living among each other, not to mention there are a lot of middle class, poor, and wealthy neighborhoods all intermixed together, which is scary to a lot of people. Most people who like their cities to be a bit more "neat" and organized looking are NOT going to like how Houston looks. Also, many neighborhoods don't even have curbs, gutters, or sidewalks, and that can be off-putting to a lot of people. It's a tough nut to crack, and a tough city to know if you don't take the time to get off the freeway and explore. Let's face it, most people are stupid and lazy and are not going to take the time to really explore a city like Houston because of it's haphazard look and layout. Also, it's a Southern city and there are transplants from other parts of the country who will dismiss the city based off of that alone. And its the Gulf South, which didn't get the good press and feedback that the Piedmont Atlantic (Georgia, North Carolina, etc.) gets. Gulf Coast Florida is an exception because it's Florida and all that comes with that, but truth be told, many parts of the Florida Gulf Coast aren't that different from the rest of the Gulf South.

On the other hand, Dallas is "neat" and organized and very over-the-top in terms of its buildings and projects and perceived to be more new money and upscale in its look and feel than Houston. While the city takes flack for some of its more over-the-top and hyper-upscale projects, a lot of people like the fact that it's sterile and there are well defined areas that people understand where the haves vs the have-nots are. In general, North Dallas = "Good," "Upscale," and "Mostly White" to most people with a smattering of other minorities here and there. South Dallas = "Bad," "Ghetto," and "Black" to a lot of people and is seen as an area to avoid. This is not fair to either side because there are impoverished ghettos on the North side of town and upscale areas on the South Side of town, but unlike Houston, Dallas's "Good" and "Bad" sides are a lot more defined in the minds of most people in spite of the demographic changes on both sides of town. Also, years of media attention thanks to the Cowboys and the eponymous TV show defined "Dallas" to an entire generation of people, so people think they're more familiar with the city than they really are. Dallas seems to be a more "tries-to-be-all-things-to-all-people" sort of city, while Houston is a bit more unapologetic in its presentation/look/feel. This goes a long way towards the perception of both cities.

Also, location, location, location - Dallas is in a more centralized location in relation to the rest of the US with a diverse array of corporate headquarters throughout the metroplex. So if people aren't changing planes there or driving through there through the multiple interstates, either they or someone they know relocated there due to a job. Houston is a bit more out of the way - it isn't that far out of the way, but its much farther from other Middle America cities compared to the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Also, even though the economy is a lot more diverse there than it used to be, Houston is still the center of the Oil and Gas/Energy Industry in the US plus the Healthcare Industry has a strong presence there. These are both much more specialized fields than the companies that are generally HQ'd throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth area, and therefore attracts a more specific type of transplant to Houston, so I wonder if that plays a role in how they're perceived.
Most accurate and honest post yet. VERY spot on, and really all that needs to be said on the subject.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:15 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Sorry, but no. No way at all is this even remotely correct.
I'm sorry, but the black culture definitely trumps the Hispanic culture here.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:16 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Houston is more popular but DFW is still more attractive especially to Blacks from the Midwest. That's why the DFW black population is growing faster.
IDK. I guess it's hard to tell. I still think Houston is going to remain on top in 2020.

Last edited by SouthernBoy205; 07-23-2015 at 01:25 AM..

Old 07-23-2015, 07:59 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
IDK. I guess it's hard to tell. I still think Houston is going to remain on top in 2020.
I'll redo the estimated again to see if I was correct. But when I added up all the counties for both MSA's, the Houston black population has grown by 78,855 people since census. DFW black population has grown by 116,948. It was the second fastest growing black population behind Atlanta in both the 90s and 2000s and it's probably the same for 2010s. Also yeah, most black transplants in DFW are coming from the Midwest.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:02 AM

2,618 posts, read 1,503,724 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but the black culture definitely trumps the Hispanic culture here.
He was saying the same thing you were.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:51 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterribleone View Post
He was saying the same thing you were.
The thing is that most of Houston feels like an extension of Mexico. If the question were asked "who has more power in the city?", then I think that African Americans do. They have more control at city hall though not quite like whites. But, if we talk about the entire city, the city feels more Hispanic on the whole. These arent neighborhoods where Hispanics are conforming to black culture for the most part either. These are neighborhoods where almost everything is in Spanish and all the shops cater to the various Hispanic ethnicities.

Quote:
I'll redo the estimated again to see if I was correct. But when I added up all the counties for both MSA's, the Houston black population has grown by 78,855 people since census. DFW black population has grown by 116,948. It was the second fastest growing black population behind Atlanta in both the 90s and 2000s and it's probably the same for 2010s. Also yeah, most black transplants in DFW are coming from the Midwest.
DFW is attracting blacks at a surprisingly higher rate despite the fact that Houston is more popular among African Americans. I think part of the explination lies in the fact that, for whatever reason, DFW is a much larger magnent for immigrants from Africa (sans Nigeria). But thats only a portion of it.

Looking at the incoming data into both areas, most blacks that move to Houston come from other parts of the South. Most blacks from DFW are coming from Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis and other parts of the Midwest. This does re-enforce what Ive said over and over: Houston is a MUCH more Southern city than Dallas. Dallas always felt more like a blend of Midwest/Great Plains/Southern where as Houston is almost straight Gulf Coast/Southern. Both are being modified greatly since they are attracting tons of immigrants (domestic and international). People like to act like cities are what they are and will never change, but thats just not true. There was a time when even Miami wasnt a Latino city...

Old 07-23-2015, 08:57 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
The thing is that most of Houston feels like an extension of Mexico. If the question were asked "who has more power in the city?", then I think that African Americans do. They have more control at city hall though not quite like whites. But, if we talk about the entire city, the city feels more Hispanic on the whole. These arent neighborhoods where Hispanics are conforming to black culture for the most part either. These are neighborhoods where almost everything is in Spanish and all the shops cater to the various Hispanic ethnicities.

DFW is attracting blacks at a surprisingly higher rate despite the fact that Houston is more popular among African Americans. I think part of the explination lies in the fact that, for whatever reason, DFW is a much larger magnent for immigrants from Africa (sans Nigeria). But thats only a portion of it.

Looking at the incoming data into both areas, most blacks that move to Houston come from other parts of the South. Most blacks from DFW are coming from Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis and other parts of the Midwest. This does re-enforce what Ive said over and over: Houston is a MUCH more Southern city than Dallas. Dallas always felt more like a blend of Midwest/Great Plains/Southern where as Houston is almost straight Gulf Coast/Southern. Both are being modified greatly since they are attracting tons of immigrants (domestic and international). People like to act like cities are what they are and will never change, but thats just not true. There was a time when even Miami wasnt a Latino city...
I've said the same about DFW but was also met with objection as well. I've always said the Midwest has two different regions. The Great Lakes and the Great Plains and Dallas being so close to that part of the Midwest will take in some characteristics from that region. Economically, there is a growing connection between DFW and Kansas City. Also, yeah, my uncle already has moved from Chicagoland to DFW. My dad is thinking about doing the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City